Our season

chellastonRam

..and have you watched it again on Ramsplayer?

I've watched the first 45 and some of my harsher judgements made live really don't match up to the recorded material.

I haven't actually. Maybe I should though... it feels wrong to criticise Sir Jake as much as I am doing :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost everything in the air (something he's touted as being good at) and his reactions and general movement were slow as hell.

Might be wrong with this one but was it not him who let Rosenborg go for their 2nd goal too?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a lot better than some people on here give him credit for, I just thought he was rubbish on Saturday.

Agree with your first point, thought him and Keogh both lost a lot in the air in the first half against two small strikers.

Second goal was down to Forsyth in my opinion, skinned way too easily and not much the defence could do when the cross was blasted across the edge of the six yard area.

I personally thought Freeman, Hendrick, Hughes and Ward were all worse than Buxton and only thought Martin and Russell were stand out players.

Always interesting to hear other peoples opinions, especially as that is the first match I have watched under no influence from alcohol for a very long time!

I naturally disagree..

I don't think we have a manager nor the players capable of winning more than we lose let alone make the top 6..

If you want to get excited by the season then by all means go for it, but don't criticise those that don't share your optimism.. Because that's what it is, pure optimism..

I've been on these boards since 2009 and every season under Clough I've read the same pre-season threads about how this is going to be our year, we're going to do this, that and the other, this striker is going to score X amount of goals, we're going to play like Brazil etc..

And the same thing has happened over the last few seasons.. We've been distinctly average and completely underwhelming in comparison to the noises coming out of PP.. It's like the typical 'England are going to do it this year' speech at every major tournament..

So forgive me if I don't share your optimism.. But I'll sit back, expect this season to be like any other under Clough, and hope for a miracle..

I do generally agree, although I do think there's far higher level of optimism this season, which is a good thing, as more people might start to realise we're not really going anywhere when we finish mid table once again. 

I can understand why people are more upbeat about this season, but I think you're wrong, plenty of other sides look far stronger. We would need a genius manager to work some magic for us to get top 6, if the last 5 seasons have proved anything, it is that we dont have that.

He plays a magnificent pass you should look out for at around 18:40 ;)

The misconception that his distribution is poor goes back to his first season here, since then he has learned that he can't do Hollywood balls and 9 times out of 10 will give it to the nearest white shirt to him. Hardly ever gives the ball away in my opinion.

Who are you refering to when you say 'them'?

Can't be Burnley for instance, we haven't beaten them feckers at all during NC's reign and at home since 2007..

Also, refering to our home form? Is winning 12/23 or 52% of our home games really that impressive?

We have the players to beat anyone in the NPC.. Whether we have the players to consistantly beat the other sides is a competely different matter.

I'm pretty sure you know where I'm coming from on this Bris. There is no reason eleven men cannot beat eleven men.

And yes, WINNING 52% is impressive. Especially if you haven't lost the other 48%. 

Don't assume because I disagree with your comment about the players' capabilities that I am against your overall opinion. I think our away record is disgraceful and as our home record is pretty good, I think the players cannot be blamed. That's where the coaching staff earn their money.

I do generally agree, although I do think there's far higher level of optimism this season, which is a good thing, as more people might start to realise we're not really going anywhere when we finish mid table once again. 

I can understand why people are more upbeat about this season, but I think you're wrong, plenty of other sides look far stronger. We would need a genius manager to work some magic for us to get top 6, if the last 5 seasons have proved anything, it is that we dont have that.

How many Championship teams have you seen in pre-season out of interest?

Agree with your first point, thought him and Keogh both lost a lot in the air in the first half against two small strikers.

Second goal was down to Forsyth in my opinion, skinned way too easily and not much the defence could do when the cross was blasted across the edge of the six yard area.

I personally thought Freeman, Hendrick, Hughes and Ward were all worse than Buxton and only thought Martin and Russell were stand out players.

Always interesting to hear other peoples opinions, especially as that is the first match I have watched under no influence from alcohol for a very long time!

I'm going to have to disagree about your Keogh point though! :lol:

I thought he was excellent, 2nd best player behind Martin for me. Won loads in the air and made a couple of great challenges. Covered for Bucko's and Freeman's mistakes well too.

You're right though, it is interesting to hear other people's opinions on the same game. A couple of posters on here thought Martin was pretty bad on Saturday too! Madness!

I'm pretty sure you know where I'm coming from on this Bris. There is no reason eleven men cannot beat eleven men.

And yes, WINNING 52% is impressive. Especially if you haven't lost the other 48%. 

Don't assume because I disagree with your comment about the players' capabilities that I am against your overall opinion. I think our away record is disgraceful and as our home record is pretty good, I think the players cannot be blamed. That's where the coaching staff earn their money.

Don't get me wrong, I know we can beat anyone in this league.. Even Leicester away and Burnley (anywhere) isn't out of our reach..

But then again you need to think are we capable of winning on a regular basis? Do you feel our squad should be good enough to win more than we lose?

It would be interesting to know whether people genuinely believe we have a decent crop of players.. And where the squad will fall in line with others.. I mean, do you think we have a top 8 squad Mostyn?

I don't see how anyone can think bucko was the worst player on Saturday, Jamie ward did absolutely nothing all game. bucko keeps the ball 90% of the time, his positioning looked bad because he was covering for Forsyth. I agree his ariel ability was poor on Saturday, but he was no where near the worst player on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, I know we can beat anyone in this league.. Even Leicester away and Burnley (anywhere) isn't out of our reach..

But then again you need to think are we capable of winning on a regular basis? Do you feel our squad should be good enough to win more than we lose?

It would be interesting to know whether people genuinely believe we have a decent crop of players.. And where the squad will fall in line with others.. I mean, do you think we have a top 8 squad Mostyn?

I think we've always had a top 8 squad. Just not a top 8 mentality or manager.

I'm going to have to disagree about your Keogh point though! :lol:

I thought he was excellent, 2nd best player behind Martin for me. Won loads in the air and made a couple of great challenges. Covered for Bucko's and Freeman's mistakes well too.

You're right though, it is interesting to hear other people's opinions on the same game. A couple of posters on here thought Martin was pretty bad on Saturday too! Madness!

I wasn't too impressed when we signed Martin but got to say he looked very good on Saturday. Excellent first touch and link up play with Russell. Could be a very good partnership.

I think we've always had a top 8 squad. Just not a top 8 mentality or manager.

Interesting how opinions differ.

I don't even think we have a top half of the championship squad but we do have a very good manager who gets the best out of the very average players he has.

Yes, he has brought those players in but you cannot get a lot workig with peanuts.

I am however optimistic of another improvement this season and a top 10 finish is very possible.

First time poster, so I thought I'd express my views. I've been a long time reader of this forum and it is infuriating me with some of the stuff fans are coming out with. This is the most excited I have been for a derby season in years. We have a fantastic midfield, full of quality young, hungry players. Yes the defence may be questionable but I think bucks is criticised far too much. his passing against west brom was absolutely faultless. He was against 2 very very good strikers in a team that finished in the top ten last season,in the biggest league of all. NC took more years than this to establish a burton Albion team that finally gained league status. I just think a little bit of patience is in order. This is clough a team now, I can easily see us finishing in the top 6 this season. Our strike force will cause so many problems against most opposition this season. Johnny Russell looks to be a fantastic signing, his composure, control and balance on the ball is absolutely brilliant. Anyway I just believe fans need to stop criticising until the team has actually played a few games of competitive football this season. I was one if the biggest sammon haters last season but even he is looking sharp and fit for the games ahead. This is our year! COYR

Welcome to the forum Chellaston Ram, I'm with you in thinking this could be a very exciting season. Only issue I have is that we seem a little lightweight when it comes to playing physical teams with big players, happened right through last season but I suppose I wouldn't really want to stifle our creativity for the sake of a bit of ugly play so roll on Sunday. C'mon ewe Rams

Archived