US Sports popularity debate

StockholmRam

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Chinese is the most popular language int he world then?

Every non Chinese speaker wants to learn it?

Here are the goalposts.

........................................................................................................................................Now they're here.

......................................................................Over here now. 

................................................................................................................................................................Staying here now. Honest.

So Chinese is the most popular language int he world then?

Every non Chinese speaker wants to learn it?

Your argument is nonsense. There is no comparison to be made between the number of people who like a particular sport with the number of people who speak a particular language. 

Basketball is played in more countries than Cricket..

Just because a cricket game has the highest viewing (because about a billion Inidian, Pakistan and Bangladesh people watched it) doesn't make it popular..

What is popular is worldwide..

I'm pretty sure Rivaldo for instance is known more worldwide (different countries) than a famous Indian cricketer but more people would obviously have heard of the cricketer due to the population of those 3 countries..

Trying to suggest Cricket is more popular just because 3 countries who account for 1/5 of the worlds population play it/watch it is ridiculous.. Basketball is played worldwide, cricket isn't..

As for who invented Ice Hockey.. Erm.. Canada?

Popularity generally refers to peoples opinions, not nations as a whole.

It's not ridiculous refering to popularity in it's most common meaning, your definition doesnt meet everyone elses, or the bodies that carry out popularity studies.

Just because a cricket game has the highest viewing (because about a billion Inidian, Pakistan and Bangladesh people watched it) doesn't make it popular..

I'm pretty sure Rivaldo for instance is known more worldwide (different countries) than a famous Indian cricketer but more people would obviously have heard of the cricketer due to the population of those 3 countries..

Trying to suggest Cricket is more popular just because 3 countries who account for 1/5 of the worlds population play it/watch it is ridiculous.. Basketball is played worldwide, cricket isn't..

You are talking nonsense, because the sports you mentioned (Basketball, American Football, Baseball and Ice Hockey) are minority sports everywhere else in the world apart from the USA. For goodness sake, you will be claiming that tenpin bowling or skittles is the biggest sport in the world next, purely because a survey suggests that upwards of 20% of the population have played at least one game. Shooting hoops in your back garden doesn't count as playing basketball either.

Would you like to see some facts?

The following countries play cricket with a large national following:

England

Sri lanka

South Africa

India

Pakistan

West Indies

New Zealand

Australia

Bangladesh

Zimbabwe

Some pretty big hitters there.

Basketball is played in so many more countries but it isn't a popular sport in the majority of those countries. The same goes for baseball.

Bris, I'm pretty sure you've fallen into the same trap that so many seem to in believing in all things America. If something is big in the allmighty America than God help us.....it must be big everywhere.

The world doesn't revolve around America and it certainly doesn't revolve around baseball or basketball. Major sports in one or two countries but minor sports in most of the others.

Accept it and move on. Don't try to reinvent the wheel and change the argument to suit yours. We all understand the definition of popularity now although you are putting that statement into question.

Would you like to see some facts?

The following countries play cricket with a large national following:

England

Sri lanka

South Africa

India

Pakistan

West Indies

New Zealand

Australia

Bangladesh

Zimbabwe

Some pretty big hitters there.

Basketball is played in so many more countries but it isn't a popular sport in the majority of those countries. The same goes for baseball.

Bris, I'm pretty sure you've fallen into the same trap that so many seem to in believing in all things America. If something is big in the allmighty America than God help us.....it must be big everywhere.

The world doesn't revolve around America and it certainly doesn't revolve around baseball or basketball. Major sports in one or two countries but minor sports in most of the others.

Accept it and move on. Don't try to reinvent the wheel and change the argument to suit yours. We all understand the definition of popularity now although you are putting that statement into question.

I'm not sure why I'm even replying to your post buddy.. Everyone on here clearly don't read my posts properly given the amount of rubbish spouted in the replies saying I've said such and such when it's basically not true..

Where did I say Baseball or Basketball were major sprts in most of the countries?

Where did I say that whatever is big in America is big outside America?

What am I accepting here? That baseball and basketball aren't major sprts in most countries.. I know that already..

But carry on.. Let me here some other things I've apparently said..

I'm not sure why I'm even replying to your post buddy.. Everyone on here clearly don't read my posts properly given the amount of rubbish spouted in the replies saying I've said such and such when it's basically not true..

Where did I say Baseball or Basketball were major sprts in most of the countries?

What am I accepting here? That baseball and basketball aren't major sprts in most countries.. I know that already..

Yep. Goalposts on wheels again.

What you were saying earlier is that other sports don't count if there not big in America. That's what it looked like anyway.

"USA have more popular sports than England..."

"As for Cricket, Rugby, Tennis and Cyclist.. LOL I said popular sports...

NHL, NFL, NBA and Baseball far outweigh those sports in popularity.. I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event of the year.."

"http://www.wegotsoccer.com/mmWGS/Images/2b3806w/2b3806w_kwik-goal-fusion-soccer-goal-with-wheels_detail" alt="2b3806w_kwik-goal-fusion-soccer-goal-wit">

I never said that at all..

NHL, NFL, NBA and Baseball far outweigh those sports in popularity.. I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event of the year.."

"http://www.wegotsoccer.com/mmWGS/Images/2b3806w/2b3806w_kwik-goal-fusion-soccer-goal-with-wheels_detail" alt="2b3806w_kwik-goal-fusion-soccer-goal-wit">

Eloquently put by the honourable member from Leeds................

Like I said.. I never said that..

Actually read what I put before making ridiculous posts like this..

Like I said.. I never said that..

Actually read what I put before making ridiculous posts like this..

Which bit did I misread, are you saying you didn't mean to say that a host of sports you put down, are more popular than cricket for example ?

Again, you clearly can't read my posts

That's because they change direction every time you are wrong

however please enlighten me where I didn't read properly, and I will admit if what you are saying is correct.

Archived