US Sports popularity debate

StockholmRam

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tour de France is the most watched sporting event in the world.

Is it? I seriously thought it was the Superbowl?

Sadly TdF doesn't feature in the Top 5.

Not quite making the front row, sitting at No. 5, is the Monaco Grand Prix

At 4 is the Superbowl

In at 3, not out for a duck (and Frogggy will be pleased) is the Cricket World Cup

Ever popular at No. 2 is the Olympics

And your number one, viewers, is......

I'm not gonna tell you, it's bloody obvious!

These are viewing events from around the world? Soccer and Tennis are played in the US, they just don't happen to be as popular as the big 4..

How the hell can Cricket be more popular then the others? Is that a joke? Half a billion Indian people don't count.. NBA and NHL (well basketball and Ice hockey) are massive in certain countries in Europe and are far more popular than cricket can ever be..

So you're also a racist as well. Should have guessed.

The two largest sports by far are Football and Cricket, whilst the American sports tend to be a footnote at best on the world scale. Basketball has made some inroads in Europe, as Baseball has in East Asia, but neither are particularly well developed on the World Scale. American football is pretty much exclusively stuck on your continent as AFL is stuck in Victoria and places that want to be Victoria in Australia. Comparing any of those to Cricket, which has the fanatical support of over a billion people is absolutely ridiculous. The great irony here is that the only thing that makes American sports even worth noting is the shear population of the United States, and yet to write off cricket because of India? My word...

How on Earth would anyone even think that the Superbowl would even come close? If we're going to take TV figures as a start the Cricket World Cup, FIFA World Cup, Olympics (particularly opening ceremony) and even things like the Champions League all dwarf the Superbowl. It's a big deal in America, but that's about it. It's got little more than freakshow value to the outside world.

No point really, even a cursory search turns out quite directly that Football (Association) and Cricket are by far the largest sports on the planet, even by viewership, something that the couch happy Americans should dominate at, their major sports don't even compare to the likes of events like the World Cup and the Champions League, nor can they compete with even the Cricket World Cup.

You did a search though? It's ok, you can tell me.

Yes, I did various searches. The estimates of number vary widely and are quite debated, but the key figure is that the World Cup, Olympics, Champions League and Cricket World Cup are far and away more watched than the Super Bowl.

Yes, I did various searches. The estimates of number vary widely and are quite debated, but the key figure is that the World Cup, Olympics, Champions League and Cricket World Cup are far and away more watched than the Super Bowl.

Maybe fact, but he will debate til the cows come home over which sport is actually better.

Maybe fact, but he will debate til the cows come home over which sport is actually better.

As we've already seen, he'll say that Indians don't count and ignore the figures.

Half a billion Indian people don't count.

Archived