US Sports popularity debate

StockholmRam

Whatever type of person you are, there is a state/city that would be perfect for you to live in...

If you like sports, but aren't a fan of the hot weather, places like Detroit and Chicago are perfect.. If you like sports, but aren't a fan of cold weather, places like Texas would be perfect..

The likes of Florida and California offer brilliant weather and nice beaches.. Obviously Calif is better for surfing..

If you like deserts, dry climates and places to do hikes.. Utah and Arizona is a decent place.. If you like skiing, Colorado, Montana and even Washington state has mountains and lots of snow..

If you like lakes and forests, Oregon is beautiful and green..

Obviously the northeast with New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Washington DC is a different world altogether..

The only places that don't really appeal to me in the US are those in the northeast and the middle states (sorry ROK).. Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas (seriosuly what is there to do in Arkansas)  and the likes of Alabama and Georgia are no-no's for me..

For my lifestyle California is perfect, whether that's below LA towards San Diego or even above near San Fran given the good weather, laid back lifestyle, nice coastal areas and not too crowded.. I'd hate to live in LA unless I was rich where I'd probably live in Newport or Malibu or somewhere like that..

Sports?? U.S.A.? Oh you do come out with them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA have more popular sports than England...

Just a shame there are no decent footballers, cricketers, rugby players or tennis players, and your cyclist owed all his success to his chemist. 

You have got a few rounders players though - they must be good because they won a world series. Trouble is, I'm struggling to remember who they played against. 

Just a shame there are no decent footballers, cricketers, rugby players or tennis players, and your cyclist owed all his success to his chemist. 

You have got a few rounders players though - they must be good because they won a world series. Trouble is, I'm struggling to remember who they played against. 

If the USA have such poor footballers then how come England didn't beat them?

As for Cricket, Rugby, Tennis and Cyclist.. LOL I said popular sports...

NHL, NFL, NBA and Baseball far outweigh those sports in popularity.. I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event of the year..

NHL, NFL, NBA and Baseball far outweigh those sports in popularity.. I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event of the year..

1. Soccer

2. Cricket

3. Tennis

4. Baseball

5. Basketball

6. Table Tennis

7. Hockey

8. Volleyball

9. Rugby

10. Golf

Interesting. 

SuperBowl is popular in America and only in America. The viewing figues back that up.

I guess this makes you wrong Bris.

1. Soccer

2. Cricket

3. Tennis

4. Baseball

5. Basketball

6. Table Tennis

7. Hockey

8. Volleyball

9. Rugby

10. Golf

Interesting. 

SuperBowl is popular in America and only in America. The viewing figues back that up.

I guess this makes you wrong Bris.

These are viewing events from around the world? Soccer and Tennis are played in the US, they just don't happen to be as popular as the big 4..

How the hell can Cricket be more popular then the others? Is that a joke? Half a billion Indian people don't count.. NBA and NHL (well basketball and Ice hockey) are massive in certain countries in Europe and are far more popular than cricket can ever be..

These are viewing events from around the world? Soccer and Tennis are played in the US, they just don't happen to be as popular as the big 4..

How the hell can Cricket be more popular then the others? Is that a joke? Half a billion Indian people don't count.. NBA and NHL (well basketball and Ice hockey) are massive in certain countries in Europe and are far more popular than cricket can ever be..

Yes, they are global.

The biggest ever sporting viewing figure was indeed a cricket match. So.....I guess cricket does count.

Yes, they are global.

The biggest ever sporting viewing figure was indeed a cricket match. So.....I guess cricket does count.

By over a billion Indian, Pakistan and Bangladesh people?

Sports are popular by viewing numbers over a range of countries.. Ice Hockey is big in the US and massive in Canada, Russia, Scandinavia and practically any place that has snow..

Basketball is played worldwide, massive in the States and massive throughout Europe..

These sports are far more popular than cricket.. It only gets high rating alongside tabletennis because it's watched by 1/4 of the world's population in the same region..

A bit controversial!  :D

Popular sports in America are not popular sports in the rest of the world, Bris.

America's idea of a popular sport is one that hardly anyone else anywhere in the world plays. Not only that, they are so insecure in their own lack of superiority that these nonsense sports are contested by just American teams, and they have the audacity to call their championships "World Series".

World.

Because basically these xenophobes, only 12% of whom have ever held a passport, have a totally insular view of the rest of the world that actually make the BNP look positively outward-looking and liberal.

It was estimated in 2009 that there were more than 150 MILLION people in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh who played cricket. Now THAT's a popular sport in world terms.

A bit controversial! :D

Not controversial at all, given the source of the comment. Just ridiculous.

You can't dismiss a huge proportion of the population of India for being geographically restricted then hold up ice hockey as a globally popular sport. And the Super Bowl? One game in one of the most geographically condensed sports on the planet. Hahaha.

You are talking like a very bad lawyer Bris... Half a billion indian and pakistanis dont count!!!!!!!!!! What an arrogant tosser ( as in cricket mods..honest) of a statement!! But half a billion U.S.A. Citizens do count?

Can you give me a popular sport in USA that we dont play in UK then? I would classify popular sports in USA as American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Athletics, Ice Hockey, Golf, Tennis, Boxing all of which are played in UK!!!

And if you are going to try and bash us over the head with the Ice Hockey stick then lets even remind you who invented the sport!!!

In sheer volume of tickets sold and tv viewing and global participation then football is the most popular sport on the planet. In global terms baseball, gay rugby and ice hockey are a million light years behind. Oh...and in the rest of the world we call baseball rounders and its a school kids game!!!

Why is it whenever Bris gets owned and proved wrong he moves the goalposts, just admit it people will think better of you :D

Disclamier:- they wont really

Anyway best thing about America is Vegas, such a shame that I have to go to disney instead now I have kids;

Although that is also great.

I did like Miami, but was costly; LA was also good, but the pubs shut early on a Monday night, which is not on.

Overall a nice place to visit, most of the people are friendly enough, and it ranks as one of the best places I have been, there has been a lot worse... 

Thats why I said the " bad lawyer" bit Leeds.

You know what Bris.. In certain parts of the planet to say that " half a billion Indians and Pakistanis" dont count could well be taken as racism!

I would however give you the benefit of the doubt..but be careful.

Basketball is played in more countries than Cricket..

Just because a cricket game has the highest viewing (because about a billion Inidian, Pakistan and Bangladesh people watched it) doesn't make it popular..

What is popular is worldwide..

I'm pretty sure Rivaldo for instance is known more worldwide (different countries) than a famous Indian cricketer but more people would obviously have heard of the cricketer due to the population of those 3 countries..

Trying to suggest Cricket is more popular just because 3 countries who account for 1/5 of the worlds population play it/watch it is ridiculous.. Basketball is played worldwide, cricket isn't..

As for who invented Ice Hockey.. Erm.. Canada?

Archived