Conor Sammon

TopRam

Even Albert agrees with us now.

You have just posted stats of a bunch of ****/average/good Championship players who have nearly all got either a better goal scoring or assist record than Sammon last season. 

I agree the assist stats are largely meaningless though. It's not the stats that makes me know Sammon is crap, it's watching his general play and lack of ability. 

People bringing up Murray and Howard saying how slowly they started is such a nonsensical argument, cos both of them are far better footballers than Sammon, I.e, they're good in the air, hold the ball up well and have got decent control.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm certain he'll get a better return next year, 12 goals would be my prediction.

You have to remember as well though that it's not like he had loads of chances. I remember someone on here saying he only had 50 shots over the course of the season (just over 1 a game!) which is terrible for a striker. As long as it's drilled into him that he needs to shoot more, I see no reason why his goal tally shouldn't improve either.

Sorry Scott, but in the whole 30 years I've watched football, every expert and his dog have been adamant that these skills are natural and instinctive. You shouldn't need to tell a striker when he should be shooting!

I would agree that them stats taken as a standalone view are p**s poor.

However, if a ball is played long to Sammon, he controls (unlikely I know) and lays it off to a winger who crosses for someone else to score, then Sammon gets absolutely no credit for his part in that goal.

I would also argue that it can be hard at times to assist when you have no team mate within 20 or 30 yards of you, as was often the case during away games or late on in home games when Nigel decided he wanted to shut up shop.

It sounds a nice move, but how often as it ever happened? I doubt it has ever happened, simply because a, nobody is level with Sammon but on the wing to receive a lay-off and b, nobody is level or beyond Sammon to be on the end of the imaginary winger's cross.

BTW, this comment is no dig at Sammon, more a dig at tactics etc

Here they are as lists:

Minutes per goal

1 Davies 222

2 Porter 223

3 Theo 224

4 Hulse 231

5 Howard 240

6 Lupoli 253

7 Commons 272

8 Ward 278

9 Bueno 378

10 Tyson 409

11 Ellington 443

12 Sammon 446

13 Barnes 491

14 Cywka 536

15 Tito 618

16 Varney 887

Minutes per assist

1 Bueno 270

2 Commons 285

3 Ward 292

4 Cywka 335

5 Lupoli 443

6 Howard 481

7 Sammon 594

8 Davies 634

9 Ellington 665

10 Barnes 884

11 Varney 887

12 Tito 1235

13 Hulse 1292

14 Theo 1494

15 Tyson 1636

16 Porter N/A

Minutes per score contribution

1 Commons 139

2 Ward 143

3 Bueno 158

4 Howard 160

5 Lupoli 161

6 Davies 164

7 Theo 195

8 Hulse 196

9 Cywka 206

10 Porter 223

11 Sammon 255

12 Ellington 266

13 Barnes 316

14 Tyson 327

15 Tito 412

16 Varney 444

Not really mentioned above, but I could draw something up for, would be appearance per day at the club, which would be an interesting comparison. Whilst Davies for example would struggle to make half a season, let alone a full one, Sammon appeared in pretty much every game last season.

Sorry Scott, but in the whole 30 years I've watched football, every expert and his dog have been adamant that these skills are natural and instinctive. You shouldn't need to tell a striker when he should be shooting!

I think it's more of a confidence issue as opposed to an instinct issue. He's been guilty of missing some right sitters and I'd be lying if I said that wouldn't affect my decision-making when shooting.

Even Albert agrees with us now.

You have just posted stats of a bunch of ****/average/good Championship players who have nearly all got either a better goal scoring or assist record than Sammon last season.

I agree the assist stats are largely meaningless though. It's not the stats that makes me know Sammon is crap, it's watching his general play and lack of ability.

People bringing up Murray and Howard saying how slowly they started is such a nonsensical argument, cos both of them are far better footballers than Sammon, I.e, they're good in the air, hold the ball up well and have got decent control.

I couldn't agree more, we can all see through our own eyes that salmon works hard, but has poor control, doesn't win much in the air, can't pass and makes the wrong decision at times. He isn't terrible but he isn't great either he is a work horse.

I couldn't agree more, we can all see through our own eyes that salmon works hard, but has poor control, doesn't win much in the air, can't pass and makes the wrong decision at times. He isn't terrible but he isn't great either he is a work horse.

It would seem quite a few love a work horse.

I do but they have to be good and bring something in terms of ability.

As the stats show not only does Sammon not score anywhere near enough he also has a very low assist rate for a forward.

Not just Stats though we can all see how much he gives the ball away and lose possession due to his clumsy and heavy touch.

Workhorse yes, footballer no.

It would seem quite a few love a work horse.

I do but they have to be good and bring something in terms of ability.

As the stats show not only does Sammon not score anywhere near enough he also has a very low assist rate for a forward.

Not just Stats though we can all see how much he gives the ball away and lose possession due to his clumsy and heavy touch.

Workhorse yes, footballer no.

This statement is pretty much as wrong as you're going to get on here tonight. The damn list is posted right above as well. Of the 16 attacking players listed Sammon came 7th, ahead of the likes of Barnes and Steve Davies for assists. Assists wise last season he was absolutely fine. In fact, taking out the wingers and attacking mids (Commons, Cywka, Ward, Bueno and arguably Lupoli) you're only really left with Howard above him as far as strikers go. On a divisional level there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rate he's getting assists at from what I can find either, so I have absolutely no idea where you pulled that from.

It's also odd to see a huge reliance on stats in this case, particularly as he's not the kind of player who's going to score huge numbers of goals. He may well be capable of 12-15 goals next season, but I wouldn't see him as an out and out goal scorer. If anything from last season the stats showed that we were a far more threatening attacking force with him in the side, and the sudden rise in the strike rate across the park with him in the side is striking the say the least. Sometimes you do need a workhorse, and Sammon certainly offers that, and he can certainly still score and set up the odd goal too.

Another factor that a lot seem to like ignoring is that one thing he showed last season that we have been in desperate need of for years is that he could actually play a full season. Do not underestimate the value of this if he can maintain it as last season. When we've had the likes of Porter, Commons and Davies in recent times, it's refreshing to have a striker who not only will work his socks off and help create space for others, but also a striker who will actually play a full season.

This statement is pretty much as wrong as you're going to get on here tonight. The damn list is posted right above as well. Of the 16 attacking players listed Sammon came 7th, ahead of the likes of Barnes and Steve Davies for assists. Assists wise last season he was absolutely fine. In fact, taking out the wingers and attacking mids (Commons, Cywka, Ward, Bueno and arguably Lupoli) you're only really left with Howard above him as far as strikers go. On a divisional level there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rate he's getting assists at from what I can find either, so I have absolutely no idea where you pulled that from.

It's also odd to see a huge reliance on stats in this case, particularly as he's not the kind of player who's going to score huge numbers of goals. He may well be capable of 12-15 goals next season, but I wouldn't see him as an out and out goal scorer. If anything from last season the stats showed that we were a far more threatening attacking force with him in the side, and the sudden rise in the strike rate across the park with him in the side is striking the say the least. Sometimes you do need a workhorse, and Sammon certainly offers that, and he can certainly still score and set up the odd goal too.

Another factor that a lot seem to like ignoring is that one thing he showed last season that we have been in desperate need of for years is that he could actually play a full season. Do not underestimate the value of this if he can maintain it as last season. When we've had the likes of Porter, Commons and Davies in recent times, it's refreshing to have a striker who not only will work his socks off and help create space for others, but also a striker who will actually play a full season.

You are right that he is 7 on that list.

But be honest bar a small minority that's a pretty ***** list.

And 1 assist every 8 games along with 1 goal every 5 is shocking.

In 77 (league) appearances since the 2010/11 season, Sammon's managed 9 goals.

He failed to score in  27 appearances for Wigan.

Since joining from Wigan; Sammon's missed 2 spot kicks, failed to score in all his international appearances and scored 9 in 47 appearances for Derby.

How do people come to the conclusion he will bag 15+ next season?

:lol:

He failed to score in 27 appearances for Wigan.

Since joining from Wigan; Sammon's missed 2 spot kicks, failed to score in all his international appearances and scored 9 in 47 appearances for Derby.

Ward also missed two spot kicks, at least sammon hit his with a bit more power

He's a good player for what Clough wants but we obviously overpaid in getting him... If we can make a profit we should take it and start again

I've had a long day so forgive me for asking.

Is it possible that we overpaid for someone yet still we make a profit on him? I'm struggling to work it out. Wouldn't it be foresight and good judgement to buy someone for 1.2m only to have someone else telling you he was worth 2m a year later.

He failed to score in 27 appearances for Wigan.

No one can argue with these numbers but they will.

The rest of the team wouldn't be capable of scoring if Sammon wasn't playing in some people's eyes.

Russell, Martin & Ward should all be above that very hard working lump.

Archived