Conor Sammon

TopRam

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont rate my intelligence, the IQ test does that for you - if you disagree with its findings I suggest you go and berate the relatives of Alfred Binet for generating a flawed measure. 

Be careful when it comes to saying what your IQ is. I'm told by an extremely reliable source very close to me that one of the common topics brought up by discussion by new Mensa members at their first meeting is their own IQ - and when you think about it, that's hardy surprising. They are thrilled to have been accepted into an elitist club, and want to shout it from the rooftops. For a few minutes, anyway.

The only problem is, when they open their mouths and say "my IQ is x", invariably someone whispers in their ear saying "that's nice, mine is y" - and invariably under the circumstances, y > x. It's a lesson worth learning.

I've had a long day so forgive me for asking.

Is it possible that we overpaid for someone yet still we make a profit on him? I'm struggling to work it out. Wouldn't it be foresight and good judgement to buy someone for 1.2m only to have someone else telling you he was worth 2m a year later.

He's only worth £2m when someone pays £2m. I would'nt trust a newspaper to value a player.

Sammon, for me, whilst frustrating on the ball is one of our best players. His off the ball work in bullying defenders and movement around the pitch is a key reason why we scored so many last year.

As a centre back, (Sunday League) I find the hardest strikers to play are those whose game is based on movement.

It's a case of having the right blend of players and if Sammon had the physical attributes he has with the control and goal scoring capability people seem to expect from him, then he wouldn't be playing here.

You'd honestly take a loss on a player who had a direct hand in 21.5% of our goals last season?

Thats his value, one year into his contract.

Compare also with how much we paid for Russell, Ward, Robinson, Maguire, Porter......

Thats his value, one year into his contract.

Compare also with how much we paid for Russell, Ward, Robinson, Maguire, Porter......

Maguire - £400k, apparently left for somewhere in the region of half to two thirds that, barely played, not a worthwhile player

Jamie Ward - Undisclosed - Still here, touted figures vary but the last serious rumour of him leaving was of the order of £2 mil to Leicester a January or so back

Russell - £750k, completely unproven at this level and with a strike rate that hardly screams proven goal scorer. Also coming from Scotland, where the prices tend to be considerably lower (and for good reason considering that strike rates in the SPL translate badly even at Championship level)

Porter - £400k, looked an absolute bargain, but a serious injury had it's way

I really don't see your point. Sammon is a proven Championship player who had a direct hand in over a fifth of our goals, as well as being a proven worker who's presence lead to a far greater strike rate from the team as a whole. He is a full Irish International with 3 years to run on his deal. As far as strikers go if anything £2 mil might be a bit cheap for him, especially considering that he has shown that he can play a full season as well as work his socks off on match day.

You'd honestly take a loss on a player who had a direct hand in 21.5% of our goals last season?

You say it as though we should sit back and notice of that stat ?

Compare it to Ward who spent vast times either injured or out on the wing, who had a direct hand in 30%, or Hendrick and Bryson who from midfield contributed to over 30% between them, is 21.5% that high for a forward ?

Theo even got 13%, and the season before that I would take a guess that he got more than 21.5%, and look where he is now.

Also if you take a look at his shots per game, its pretty poor, only 55 compare to 61 Ward, 51 Theo, and 43 Martin; which shows that you are more likely to get goals out of other players than him.

Stats mean nothing.

21% for the player playing as the focal point furthest up the pitch at centre forward position is not very good at all really is it.

As pointed out Ward contributed 30% in only 20 odd games now that's impressive nearly a third of our goals created by a player who only played half the games.

Stats show Sammon is rubbish and so do our eyes.

You say it as though we should sit back and notice of that stat ?

Compare it to Ward who spent vast times either injured or out on the wing, who had a direct hand in 30%, or Hendrick and Bryson who from midfield contributed to over 30% between them, is 21.5% that high for a forward ?

Theo even got 13%, and the season before that I would take a guess that he got more than 21.5%, and look where he is now.

Also if you take a look at his shots per game, its pretty poor, only 55 compare to 61 Ward, 51 Theo, and 43 Martin; which shows that you are more likely to get goals out of other players than him.

Stats mean nothing.

I wonder how many of these shots were from 40 yards out or near the touchline when there were much better options available?!

I wonder how many of these shots were from 40 yards out or near the touchline when there were much better options available?!

Does it matter, he still managed 9 assists in that time, as well as scoring more goals, as I said stats mean nothing.

You never replied though about how many goals Sharp scored ?

Archived