The Official £ and $ Keyboard Thread

The fact is we are on an English website where colour is correct. If we were on an American website Color would be correct. Bris wants to make a point because he, although English by birth, is fiercely proud to be outside the UK and better off for it (in his opinion). That's why amongst other things he persistently uses the $ sign rather than the £ sign.

He also likes to be the centre of attention. Notice how we are talking about him not the topic.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is we are on an English website where colour is correct. If we were on an American website Color would be correct. Bris wants to make a point because he, although English by birth, is fiercely proud to be outside the UK and better off for it (in his opinion). That's why amongst other things he persistently uses the $ sign rather than the £ sign.

He also likes to be the centre of attention. Notice how we are talking about him not the topic.

...and using $ instead of £ is the stupidest of the damn lot. Not only does it lead to confusion, but it is wrong on every single level. $1 is not £1 and using them interchangeably would be similar to using the names USA and UK interchangeably.

...and using $ instead of £ is the stupidest of the damn lot. Not only does it lead to confusion, but it is wrong on every single level. $1 is not £1 and using them interchangeably would be similar to using the names USA and UK interchangeably.

or maybe he doesn't use a keyboard with a shortcut to a £ sign - do European keyboards replace £ with ?

or maybe he doesn't use a keyboard with a shortcut to a £ sign - do European keyboards replace £ with ?

Being in Australia my keyboard has a dollar sign as well. That is no excuse. Hold hold, type 0163 into the num pad and release, tad-bloody-dah here they are: £££££. There is no excuse to lack that kind of clarity. I've told him that multiple times before as well, and if he really is too lazy he could just say '2 million pounds' instead.

Being in Australia my keyboard has a dollar sign as well. That is no excuse. Hold hold, type 0163 into the num pad and release, tad-bloody-dah here they are: £££££. There is no excuse to lack that kind of clarity. I've told him that multiple times before as well, and if he really is too lazy he could just say '2 million pounds' instead.

Because this is a lightweight internet forum where people 'chat' about stuff in a casual way. I post on here without worrying about grammar, syntax or spelling too much because I consider it an informal environment. Being dyslexic my 'real' life is full of proof-reading and spell-checking - things that I don't bother with on here as it would take away the immediacy of writing genre. Also, I tend not to write my formal output whilst under the influence of Carling, shiraz or Southern Comfort.

Fortunately I use a UK keyboard with a '£' on it. If I didn't there is no way I'd bother typing 0163 into and number pad and releasing every time I wanted to use £. Each to their own, but to me, expecting someone to do so whilst writing is this media is a little Arnold Rimmer.

Because this is a lightweight internet forum where people 'chat' about stuff in a casual way. I post on here without worrying about grammar, syntax or spelling too much because I consider it an informal environment. Being dyslexic my 'real' life is full of proof-reading and spell-checking - things that I don't bother with on here as it would take away the immediacy of writing genre. Also, I tend not to write my formal output whilst under the influence of Carling, shiraz or Southern Comfort.

Fortunately I use a UK keyboard with a '£' on it. If I didn't there is no way I'd bother typing 0163 into and number pad and releasing every time I wanted to use £. Each to their own, but to me, expecting someone to do so whilst writing is this media is a little Arnold Rimmer.

There you go...........

If typing £ through the num pad is too difficult, then they just shouldn't be using anything but the word pound.

I don't proof read what I write usually either, it's a forum, I doubt anyone expects proof read posts. That isn't the point, it's about being clear. Just because you can't use the proper term easily doesn't mean that it's fine to just throw any ol' nonsense in. If I started talking about such and such a players ♣4 mil transfer fee, people would have every right to feel a bit confused and a tad annoyed if I continued to do it, and started using all sorts of nonsense, especially if I went on to talk about his §15k a week salary.

So long as there are letters on a keyboard its a pretty sausagetish thing to do. Just my two rupees worth.

Archived