Life Plan

jimbobram

I guess I'm kind of in the same position. I finish 6th form soon averaging b's in my chosen subjects:history,psychology and French.

I've studied these subjects for four years now and to be honest, I'm terrified of taking the final exams, because if I screw up, then that's my life screwed up. I get myself in a right state. And the worst bit is I can't stand the subjects.

I'm a guy that likes to know what's ahead. When I finish this term, I can't think "school again in six weeks". I will have freedom and to be honest I don't want it!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok guys I need a few opinions on this.

At the moment I'm at uni doing sports therapy but its coming to the end of the year and I've decided that this isn't really the course for me. Although I have learnt a lot, I am quite behind where I should be, probably because I'm not putting the effort in due to the fact that I don't find it as interesting as I thought I would.

So I've been thinking about what I would do if I did drop out/fail uni and I really don't know what to do.

Are there jobs that you can earn a good living from without having a degree ?

I'd love to do personal training but the fee to pay for the course is almost 4k !

Any advice or opinions ?

thanks

Jimbob

How many years of the course have you got left? If you've just started and really believe it's not the course for you then you could see about getting as a transfer onto another degree course without losing the time you've already studied for, have you looked at that option? 

It's a tough job market out there at the moment, you need to have something under your belt that will set you apart from the competition in the job hunting stakes, if there was a job that paid loads and you didn't need any qualifications then I would be doing it by now :)

I don't understand how live for today is only a good outlook when you live at home? I just declined a masters and am planning to leave the country to work in a bar somewhere in the world for a few years. It's not exactly what you'd call glamorous and perhaps not what you'd call wise but i'm not ready to get tied down to a job and miss the opportunity to make mistakes. I think people are too tied to the idea that you need a career and good money to be happy, I also believe people are afraid to do what makes them happy because it creates a certain level of vulnerability.

I admire your plans to do something that will be a life experience, but thankfully there is always time to throw away jobs and responsibilities and go and work in a bar for two years, BUT, and this is a massive 'but', it's very hard to find a way back into education after. You have to be quite lucky and if you have some sort of lifestyle that you're accustomed too, you lose that to go to university.

I don't know you, know nothing about you, but reading a couple of comments here, I am left with the impression you're looking for people to say "hey go and do what you like man.... radical". Sadly, life is ****, and we have to work to survive. I think you're in for a struggle if you think you'll have some sort of life working in bars abroad. 

I love a place on a greek island, and if I thought I could earn a half decent wage, I'd have left Derby in 2005 and gone there.

I admire your plans to do something that will be a life experience, but thankfully there is always time to throw away jobs and responsibilities and go and work in a bar for two years, BUT, and this is a massive 'but', it's very hard to find a way back into education after. You have to be quite lucky and if you have some sort of lifestyle that you're accustomed too, you lose that to go to university.

I don't know you, know nothing about you, but reading a couple of comments here, I am left with the impression you're looking for people to say "hey go and do what you like man.... radical". Sadly, life is ****, and we have to work to survive. I think you're in for a struggle if you think you'll have some sort of life working in bars abroad. 

I love a place on a greek island, and if I thought I could earn a half decent wage, I'd have left Derby in 2005 and gone there.

Why wouldnt he go and do what he likes?

If it gives him the means to live to the standards he wants to, why would you choose any other option?

In terms of a career, a good option is to find somewhere with a healthy work/life balance.  A lot of people 'poo poo' the public sector, but the levels of incompetence dictate that working really hard can lead to relatively easy success - whilst still finishing at 4pm and having flexi-time. 

If you are doing sport, how about positioning your studies in the public/third sector?  You can then work hard, outshine the incompetence but still have the time and freedom to pursue your dreams, whilst having added job security.

SillyBilly

Life to me is keeping the roof over my head and food in my mouth (and familly). It has never changed regardless of how much money I've earned. The priority remains the same, luxuries are a bonus. I've never been able to escape life's responsibilities. I moved down south at 21 and for at least 5 years afterwards, a month not earning would have put me on the streets, I couldn't take the risk to do anything else.

Believe you me, there have been plenty of times I've thought "**** this", I'm going to tell him to "shove his job up his arse" etc... reality then hits and you think better of it.

I just somehow landed on my feet when I was about 20. I unbelievably managed to become what I said I was going to be when I was five years old. I had one girlfriend for years who was also in the job and all my mates were and still are.

I sometimes think I did much too much, much too young... maybe I should have drank more, danced more, shagged more and maybe fought more but then again there's no way I'd have got the job I sometimes love to bits now. I got the bare minimum from school and I didn't go to college or uni, I thank my S-O-T upbringing for my common sense and 'streetwiseness' for getting me through.

The only problem with all of the above is that you end up living for it, you lose sight of the important things and p*ss off the people that love you, which is why in my early 30s i've gotta start from scratch and find someone fit enough but nuts enough to put up with me and eventually let me impregnate them  :blink:

Best thing I was ever told when I asked for advice - "You do whatever you think is right duck" at the time you think well that was f*cking helpful.... but it's true, it's all you can do.

Good luck  :lol:

I'm not looking for anybody here to say "radical man", I think it's a rather sad state that you look at the optimism of youth and label it as such although granted you gave yourself a get out cause I guess.

Life is not sh*it, life is what you make of it, you can choose to be happy and that has nothing to do with making money, granted it might make it easier for some people but that's them. I spent last summer working in a restaurant in Denver, I went on my own, made friends and had the best time of my life, they all worked in restaurants and lived without being on the bread line. In fact they lived and laughed more in the 3 months I was there than I had for the 9 months previous. I know if I don't go follow my heart now while i'm young I know I will miss the opportunity to do it while I still feel the way I do now.

It's not conformity to some radical dude stereotype, it's the way I feel and I a going into it aware it won't be rosy all of the time. One of the things I really dislike in this world is blatant cynicism under the guise or realism. Not saying that's exactly what you're doing but it's an attitude I cannot understand. 

Why wouldnt he go and do what he likes?

If it gives him the means to live to the standards he wants to, why would you choose any other option?

I'm not saying that.

What I'm saying is, that if he's your average man, at some point he'll meet a bird, want a wedding, family, mortgage, car, holidays etc. I can tell you now, it's a hard step to take from a wage in a bar, to a wage that you can afford to pay council tax, car insurance, water rates etc and then have some spare cash on top for fun.

If he wasn't part way through a degree, then fine, but he's there, doing it. Why give up and some potential comfort in later life.

You may think everything is easy, but trust me, when that water bill comes through the door, then the gas bill, then the car tax, then you pay for petrol... a bar wage isn't going to go very far, and where's his earning power if he quits bar work, nobody is going to give someone with work experience in a bar a £28k a year job.

I'm not looking for anybody here to say "radical man", I think it's a rather sad state that you look at the optimistic ignorance of you and label it as such although granted you gave yourself a get out cause I guess.

Life is not sh*it, life is what you make of it, you can choose to be happy and that has nothing to do with making money, granted it might make it easier for some people but that's them. I spent last summer working in a restaurant in Denver, I went on my own, made friends and had the best time of my life, they all worked in restaurants and lived without being on the bread line. In fact they lived and laughed more in the 3 months I was there than I had for the 9 months previous. I know if I don't go follow my heart now while i'm young I know I will miss the opportunity to do it while I still feel the way I do now.

It's not conformity to some radical dude stereotype, it's the way I feel and I a going into it aware it won't be rosy all of the time. One of the things I really dislike in this world is blatant cynicism under the guise or realism. Not saying that's exactly what you're doing but it's an attitude I cannot understand. 

just don't want anyone, even a stranger to end up scratching their head in a few years time thinking "why did I do that?". It sounds like you've had your head screwed on for a while previously and now you've got itchy feet. BUT, why not finish your studies, then throw it away, at least it's there and done? If you end up with nothing, all your college and uni is a waste of time, and when you do, inevitably want to start earning proper wage so you can do the things that people do as they get older, you're going into the vacancy pool with people who may not be as intelligent and competent as you, but are more employable due to their CV.

Just seems like you don't realise what a privileged position you're in and you're treating it with contempt. It is your life, I've made my comments. Whatever you decide, I hope your life is lived with a smile. Sorry if I'm being cynical, I've seen and experienced a lot.

Life to me is keeping the roof over my head and food in my mouth (and familly). It has never changed regardless of how much money I've earned. The priority remains the same, luxuries are a bonus. I've never been able to escape life's responsibilities. I moved down south at 21 and for at least 5 years afterwards, a month not earning would have put me on the streets, I couldn't take the risk to do anything else.

Believe you me, there have been plenty of times I've thought "**** this", I'm going to tell him to "shove his job up his arse" etc... reality then hits and you think better of it.

Word for word (including the moving down south at 21) is what I did.

I'm 26, starting to get a slight bit comfier with money, but I still can't go a month without being paid.

Having a job, going the match, enjoying my friends and family, that's my life plan right now. When I have kids, it'll change again.

I think I just want a decent gaff and family to care for.

I'm not saying that.

What I'm saying is, that if he's your average man, at some point he'll meet a bird, want a wedding, family, mortgage, car, holidays etc. I can tell you now, it's a hard step to take from a wage in a bar, to a wage that you can afford to pay council tax, car insurance, water rates etc and then have some spare cash on top for fun.

If he wasn't part way through a degree, then fine, but he's there, doing it. Why give up and some potential comfort in later life.

You may think everything is easy, but trust me, when that water bill comes through the door, then the gas bill, then the car tax, then you pay for petrol... a bar wage isn't going to go very far, and where's his earning power if he quits bar work, nobody is going to give someone with work experience in a bar a £28k a year job.

F*ck knows mate, the regularness of life just scares the **** out of me.

I dont think I'll ever be able accept a life of what you've described, a lot of which is just what society expects from you. Once you have kids the motive/point of your life just changes completely. 

I'm not saying that.

I work in a bar, and have done for 6 years now, I get by fine with my bar wage.

Archived