Insert moan thread here

Hans

Isn't that where he naturally plays though, he seems to like to drop off and get the ball off the back 4. He dictates it more from there, I think it was the wolves game they started him further forward but he didn't get on the ball at ll so they ended up swapping him and Hendrick over

Not for me.....thats the meaningless Don Masson role

The first ball is easy, its the final ball that matters......get him on the ball 25-30 yards from goal where he can slip a nifty through ball.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for me.....thats the meaningless Don Masson role

The first ball is easy, its the final ball that matters......get him on the ball 25-30 yards from goal where he can slip a nifty through ball.

I'm not saying its where he would be more effective but where he naturally goes when you watch him. He likes to drop off and get us playing and as clough said dictate the tempo. Idikez to be honest was the same, he preferred coming from deeper and getting the ball there, Phil brown tries to get him further forward but it wasn't natural for him.

I'm not saying its where he would be more effective but where he naturally goes when you watch him. He likes to drop off and get us playing and as clough said dictate the tempo. Idikez to be honest was the same, he preferred coming from deeper and getting the ball there, Phil brown tries to get him further forward but it wasn't natural for him.

Its easy.....but its ineffective

He'll waste his career if thats where he goes.

There are players who can play there but they need to have a lot more to their game.

Either to protect the back four.....

or the ability to hit a long pass like carrick or hoddle

Hughes doesnt have either skill...but he does have terrific eye for a final through ball.

Hughes himself has said that the hole is his best position.

It's an interesting argument though. If played in the hole he could absolutely devastate teams, picking up the ball in those pockets of space and running at the opposition defense, slipping in through balls (like for Sammon's goal against Leeds). On the other hand the way we use him now seems to improve the fluency of our football (in my humble opinion).

It's an interesting argument though. If played in the hole he could absolutely devastate teams, picking up the ball in those pockets of space and running at the opposition defense, slipping in through balls (like for Sammon's goal against Leeds). On the other hand the way we use him now seems to improve the fluency of our football (in my humble opinion).

Every player says "the hole" is there beat position. The only time I have play there was wolves at home in a dimond but as I previously said he swapped with Hendrick after about 20 mins. Sadly for us I don't know of the other players have good enough movement for him or can think as quickly. That's why he is the talented one

Me neither. Going to cross away games off as defeats next season. Boring and predictable.

Next game

You've just got to look at like 25 points away from home is about the best we can hope for..

So, 75 points to make the playoffs..

Either we get at least 50 points from home games (more likely to be around 56 with our poor away record) and have a chance of making the playoffs, or we miss out.. It's as simple as that.

From our 23 home games next season, we have to win at least 16 and draw a few..

Every season is going to be the same. At least 50 home points or nothing!

We have progressed from last year..

We massively overachieved last year and at least 7 of the games we won we were 2nd best for the majority of the game.. We played like a bottom 6 side last year and if it wasn't for those lucky 4 wins at the beginning of the season and fluke wins against Hull and Bristol City we would have been in the bottom 6..

This year, despite less points, we've played far better.

We're still average though and under this manager we'll never get promoted due to his stubborn rubbish negative tactics

like first three sections.

You've just got to look at like 25 points away from home is about the best we can hope for..

So, 75 points to make the playoffs..

Either we get at least 50 points from home games (more likely to be around 56 with our poor away record) and have a chance of making the playoffs, or we miss out.. It's as simple as that.

From our 23 home games next season, we have to win at least 16 and draw a few..

Every season is going to be the same. At least 50 home points or nothing!

56 points at home is a huge ask, we need to start getting away games where we don't concede and build from there - interestingly Clough seemed to think yesterday that our away form was nearly there as we were getting beaten by the odd goal in a lot of away games, I don't share his optimism.

Find a way of playing, 442, 4231, and play the same at home and away. Let the opposition worry about us.

The problem with this is it puts a lot of pressure on your back 4, particularly away from home. We need two very good centre backs, like Barker & Shackell. Or Keogh & ?

56 points at home is a huge ask, we need to start getting away games where we don't concede and build from there - interestingly Clough seemed to think yesterday that our away form was nearly there as we were getting beaten by the odd goal in a lot of away games, I don't share his optimism.

I think the point he's making us we haven't been far away from some of the draws being wins and losses being draws.

We haven't been outplayed in a lot if games

Away points thrown away that I can remember off the top of my head

Wednesday

Cardiff

Blackpool

That's 5 points

Should have beat wolves too

Not too far away from where it needs to be.

We have lost just over half of our away games - which means we have got points in just under half too of them too.

But it's still possible we will avoid relegation this season by one point. I don't call that progress.

Bit it would be a record high relegation total.

Incidentally it could well be a record low play off requirement too (68 points) depending on results at the weekend

So 6th place could have avoided relegation by 11- now last year we were 24 points clear and finished 12th

An unusual season this year - where the division has been pretty equal in terms of team strength. Highlighting why progress shouldn't be measured by points totals alone

It's an interesting argument though. If played in the hole he could absolutely devastate teams, picking up the ball in those pockets of space and running at the opposition defense, slipping in through balls (like for Sammon's goal against Leeds). On the other hand the way we use him now seems to improve the fluency of our football (in my humble opinion).

I'm pretty sure I keep getting shot down for saying this is Hughes' best position and that this is Hughes' favored position. His play is based on a particular Spanish side that all too often have 3 players playing in the hole between the line of the oppositions defense and midfield. 

Archived