Derby County v Peterborough United

CumbrianRam

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't disagree more with that. Forsythe had a hand in all three of our goals. His distribution was first rate.

I'd watch again, he was playing 'hopeful' or 'mindless' balls down the side of the pitch for fun today - I don't mind him as a player, but surely we want better... surely? 

same with Martin - are we at the point where we watch 2 fairly okay players and think that's acceptable? With the budget we have, i'd be stretching that as much as I can and wouldn't spend a penny on ANYONE who I didn't deem better than what we have. 

I'd watch again, he was playing 'hopeful' or 'mindless' balls down the side of the pitch for fun today - I don't mind him as a player, but surely we want better... surely? 

same with Martin - are we at the point where we watch 2 fairly okay players and think that's acceptable? With the budget we have, i'd be stretching that as much as I can and wouldn't spend a penny on ANYONE who I didn't deem better than what we have. 

I'm with you on Martin, I just don't think he offers enough

As for Forsythe, if you're right about the hopeful balls he must be the luckiest man on the planet as almost every one went straight to a Derby player. Personally, I think he's excellent and will be disappointed if we don't sign him.

Where's Mostyn and troys reaction to the win?

I thought until we scored it might be another Ipswich result with all the chances being made and not scored.

Great performance, can we kick on next year? I guess we'll see.

Hughes has talent, you could see that in the short space of time he was on the pitch, who will make way for him, and also who will make way for the incoming experienced old pro midfielder?

I thought until we scored it might be another Ipswich result with all the chances being made and not scored.

Hughes has talent, you could see that in the short space of time he was on the pitch, who will make way for him, and also who will make way for the incoming experienced old pro midfielder?

Coutts will make way for the experienced midfielder laid for by selling Hughes - problem solved

Same game as yourself. We created a lot of chances and dominated throughout but the football wasn't pretty. It was mainly played up field in the air...

FIrst goal. LB knocks it to strikers feet on the deck, striker holds it, then lays off to winger on the run, who bursts forward and slots in the striker for the return ball down the channel, striker takes it to the by-line and craks over a low cross for cenral midfield player tearing into the 6 yard box. All on the ground.

Bobby Gould era Wimbledon goal.

You sit with Ambitious, don't you?

Are our views that similar?! Haha. Yes, I do.

For what it's worth I didn't like Forsyth before yesterday's game, did a piece on him in the Barnsley match thread as I thought he was shocking.

Ambitious did and was surprised when I told him I wasn't a fan. I seem to have turned his head.

His love for Bucko and Sammon is something I do not share mind!

The midfielders were great yesterday. But it was clear from the return of Hughes that we have missed him. Effortlessly can win a ball, decision making is great, passes the ball around at close quarters with ease and gets himself into very good positions. People keep saying that we need an experienced midfielder and or defensive midfielder. In my eyes this player would only start in a handful of games and their biggest contribution would be to bring them on late so we can hold on for a win or draw. 

The midfielders were great yesterday. But it was clear from the return of Hughes that we have missed him. Effortlessly can win a ball, decision making is great, passes the ball around at close quarters with ease and gets himself into very good positions. People keep saying that we need an experienced midfielder and or defensive midfielder. In my eyes this player would only start in a handful of games and their biggest contribution would be to bring them on late so we can hold on for a win or draw. 

Was just saying the same to my mate, Would maybe start in tougher away games and otherwise come on to see the game out, so someone in the thirties would be fine.  

Was just saying the same to my mate, Would maybe start in tougher away games and otherwise come on to see the game out, so someone in the thirties would be fine.  

Exactly, but not considered the first option for every away game, (we know Clough would love that). This player would know their job, wouldn't take any risks, would be unselfish and also most likely pick up the most yellow cards despite limited starts and game time. 

Mostyn and Troy only come out to play when we lose. You could call the bad weather supporters.

Also Keogh made 3 or 4 big mistakes yesterday, all seemed to be out of miss-judging and arrogance. 

I was hoping I wasn't the only one that noticed, I read a lot of his movements before he even did them - in the case of 'please for the love of f*ck don't... oh, wait.. you just have' 

a perfect example was when someone was running at the defence, he had his man next to him and I thought please don't run at the player with the ball... which he did, the player with the ball slipped it into the man Keogh had just left with a free run at goal, and then either Brayford or Buxton covered well and got a tackle in. 

That sort of stuff cannot happen, defensively as a unit I think we're very strong and sound but a lot of our goals seem to come from individual lapses in concentration (like this for example) 

I do like Keogh but just watching him yesterday and just calling really bad decisions that he made - sort of amplified his poorness for me, he has it in him to be a great player at this level. He just needs to be more switched on defensively, don't run out to the ball all the time - get the simple things right, and he'll be a much better player! 

My biggest gripe with the Derby side at the minute is their lack of perseverance - we always seem to start games very well, and show a good foot hold. Under ANY sort of pressure, we just seem to play this reactive football, which I guess some will blame on Clough, but for me, it's just simplistic lack of perseverance! We'll get an awkward ball into the back and we'll just get rid, I would like someone to sit in front of that back 4 and just claim the ball at them moments. I mean someone with a cool head, a good footballer but someone who has that experience and concentration to drag the team when things get a bit rough. 

Hughes is a class footballer, and will do this job easily one day. He has just turned 18, and I know how good he is, but, mental fatigue is to be expected - this is what we need to combat, we need to be fresh for all 46 games, we haven't done that this season... 

I'm sure the stats will show, but this season we've been more likely to beat a team by 2+ goals than we have by 1+, much more likely that is a ridiculous stat in itself and shows we can't/aren't grappling out the wins. 

I was hoping I wasn't the only one that noticed, I read a lot of his movements before he even did them - in the case of 'please for the love of f*ck don't... oh, wait.. you just have' 

a perfect example was when someone was running at the defence, he had his man next to him and I thought please don't run at the player with the ball... which he did, the player with the ball slipped it into the man Keogh had just left with a free run at goal, and then either Brayford or Buxton covered well and got a tackle in. 

That sort of stuff cannot happen, defensively as a unit I think we're very strong and sound but a lot of our goals seem to come from individual lapses in concentration (like this for example) 

I do like Keogh but just watching him yesterday and just calling really bad decisions that he made - sort of amplified his poorness for me, he has it in him to be a great player at this level. He just needs to be more switched on defensively, don't run out to the ball all the time - get the simple things right, and he'll be a much better player! 

When he commits to something he really does commit. If he commits to a tackle he will win the ball, if he attempts to take the ball off someone he will chase them shoulder to shoulder for 50 yards, if he commits to a header, no-ones head not even a concrete wall would stop him from not pulling out.

Unfortunately this commitment applies to his weaknesses. If he opens his body up and looks as though he wants to pass, he will despite the fact that the pass is dangerous or unnecessary.  If he commits to playing someone offside, he will be 15 to 20 yards away from them when they receive the ball. If he feels the ball is in an area where the keeper should be dealing with it, he will force it upon them without the keepers overriding call/shout. 

...as Alan Hansen says, indecision is final...better to be decisive and sometimes get it wrong than dither and get done.

Archived