Feel for you young 'uns..

mozza

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you older fans seem to have completely forgotton Arthus Cox's teams. Its absolute rubbish to suggest its been all downhill since Docherty came. It went downhill to a much lower point than where we are now after Docherty and up to the point that Cox came. Then we went forward at quite a pace for about 5 years. By the time Maxwell pulled the plug we were on the very brink of repeating the success of the early to mid 70's

I would argue that Ted McMinn was as big an entertainer and as big a character as anyome who played for Clough or Mackay. In fact more so than any of them except perhaps Franny Lee

Not me Gerry I can remember them well and my previous posts states my favorite season.

i know i've stated that i've seen the best Derby County team of all time , but i dare say that if we could go

back to the seventies/eighties , there would be some old git on here saying we arn't a patch on the team that won

the F.A.Cup in 1946..

it's all about opinions..

I used to work with a load of them at Trent Yeast Extract in Burton.

My greatest memory of those days was saying to them one night at clocking off time...

"Hey, you know you always reckon the '46 Rams team was better than what we've got now...?"

"Arrr they were anorl."

"Have they ever won the league championship?"

"No"

"Well, they have tonight!"

Memories are made of this!

(Cue for a song)

Never went to the Baseball Ground so missed out big time there.

Cannot really remember to much about the Jim Smith Era, thus I've only really seen 2 good teams, the playoff seasons under Burley and Davies.

The current team is average and one of the more enjoyable teams to watch from the past 10 odd year, although doesn't say a lot. 

As mentioned earlier it's the lack of any kind of atmosphere, expensive tickets, sit down shut up, which makes me depressed about going to the game these days. Even 2 or 3 years ago it was much better for us, particularly away from home, than it is now. 

My passion for DCFC is still there, my passion for football is unfortunately decreasing on a daily basis at the moment. 

I'm very envious of you older lot - it must have been great. I remember watching a video about Derby in the 70's as a kid & was so proud that my team had mixed it at one time with the greats of Europe - in fact, I still am proud. I like to remind folk as unlike London sides, our achievements of that era are pretty much ignored & so a lot of people don't know how good we really were.

I've supported Derby since 1987 & in that time, I've seen 2 quality teams - the Cox team of the late 80's & Jim Smith's side of the late 90's. Aside from fleeting glimpses of promise (Burley in '04/05 & Davies in '06/07), its been pretty grim all other times. Even those 2 good sides were nowhere near winning a trophy.

Certain clubs have a DNA about them - some are traditionally stable, boring.....some are basketcases that always seem to be brilliant one minute & implode the next. I always thought Derby were like the latter but the last 3/4 years are changing my view & its not for the better. I'm bored with Derby & i'm bored of football.

Some excitement is needed soon - a playoff push, a decent cup run. I've started to forget what success/excitement looks like.

Got to disagree with you there having witnessed such dross as Billy Caskey, Paul Emson, Mick Coop and gates below 10,000. Since I started watching Derby we have probably had over a hundred players who would not get into our current side.

Hey! As a kid, Billy Caskey was the first player I pretended to be when playing footy in the school playground...

Might be the reason I never made it far as a forward!

95/96 was my first season, What a season it was too! Van der laan signing, Williems and ofcourse Igor.

The palace game was awesome, still got the full 90 minutes on VHS somewhere.

Then the next season, our last at the BBG; Ian Wright crying after the final whistle.

Paul McGrath

The win famous win at Old Trafford, Sturridges beast of a goal at Highbury.

Then the next, the Queen opening pride park (with a crappy spice girls rip off act), the arrival of Eranio and Baiano.

So which Premier League club did he reject?

My comment was that not many players choose a Championship club over a Prem club, not "not many LEAVE a Prem club" cos plenty do!

Jeez, if you're gonna pull me up for something, at least be right about it. I can name a bundle of Derby players who left the Prem to come to the championship!

I am right - he turned down Newcastle, to join a team in the Championship!

I just want to say 'Well done' to our supporters who regularly attend

matches at this present time.. by young , i mean any of you who were born

in the last 25-35 years. I was spoilt as a teenager , seeing the emergence of

the greatest Derby County team of all time , every match was like 'wow' this is

entertainment of the highest order'.. ( or words to that effect) . Unfortunately ,

this trend only lasted till 'The Doc' arrived imo , its been steadily downhill since then..

Entertainment in those days , would rate at least 8 out of 10.. nowadays , what you

are watching , rates about 4 out of ten , at best..

I love Derby County , and pray that , one day we will be able to , at least achieve

Premiership status , and once again  we can be proud to call ourselves 'Rams fans' ,

as i say in my opening lines , i'm pleased to be associated with you 'young uns' ,

you've stuck by your club , in probably the drabbest times , certainly in my 45 years

of following the Rams..

Congrats.. :)

Cheers Mo55y - and you lucky bugger for witnessing the greatest Derby teams of all time!

Football's totally changed. I never expect we'll see those days again but I'm ok with that. Would just like to see us in a cup final before I die.

Happiest days of my life so far were our first few at Pride Park.

I went to the BBG for 6 seasons before we moved and loved it, but I also sat through some of the worst atmospheres I've known at any football match. There's so much history and emotion attached to it, and I was so sad we left, but there's a lot of one sided memories of the place.

PP was absolutely rocking for the first 3 or so years. People forget that now when they say it's dull and has no atmosphere. That's true - but it wasn't always like that. The roof came off when we scored.

If anything it proves that point that it doesn't matter if you play in a brand new generic stadium, or a hundred year old ground. Play good football, get results and the atmosphere will be great.

Those few seasons gave me hope, and as someone mentioned earlier, we were so close to kicking on and playing in Europe - just a couple more quality signings and I think we'd have done it.

And, basically, I cling on to those years, because I think that's as good as we can hope for in my lifetime. And I'd be delighted with that - becoming an established PL club and a cup win and I'd be in the box with a smile on my face.

I daydream, with remarkable regularity, about having to pack a bag, get my passport and get on an easyjet flight to some eastern European backwater to see the lads abroad. Imagine it.

Jim Smith was brilliantly supported by a very talented and forward thinking modern coach - Steve MacClaren. You can chart the rise and fall of Jim Smith's reign and the rise went into fall when Steve MacClaren went to Manchester United. If we'd been able to keep him at Derby I reckon we could have got into Europe.

Cox's late 80's side finished 5th in the top flight but English clubs weren't in Europe then due to Heysel.

2nd & 3rd seasons in the Prem under Smith are as good as it gets for me, we were so close to becoming a long-term Premiership club then, it's a shame we didn't just get those couple of extra players to move us on. Steve Mac leaving was as big as the loss of any player without a doubt.

In my lifetime I've seen 1 automatic promotion, 1 successful play-offs and 2/3 unsuccessful play off attempts. I think an FA Cup quarter, League Cup Semi, so even in the last 20 years it hasn't been all bad.

Where we are now isn't especially remarkable but I'm hopeful that we are building something that can see us being established Prem quality who can mix it in the Cups and push for a Europa spot.

It's a shame I didn't get to see the great European nights at the BBG but things have a habit of going round and around so maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to see it again.

I daydream, with remarkable regularity, about having to pack a bag, get my passport and get on an easyjet flight to some eastern European backwater to see the lads abroad. Imagine it.

I also regularly daydream of european advenures but I know that, being Derby, if we ever did by some miracle manage to qualify for the 1st preliminary qualifying round of the Europa League then we'd almost certainly get drawn against FC Terek Grozny in good old "war torn" Chechnya.

Would that stop me going to the away leg........................................................No Bl**dy Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive seen one, maybe two season where I thought there isn't a team in England we couldn't compete with.

It's all relative, and that's football.

From my point of view, this season has been okay - again, relative to other years gone past. Definitely the most enjoyable under Clough, and 3rd most enjoyable season I remember in the championship... 

Cheers Mo55y - and you lucky bugger for witnessing the greatest Derby teams of all time!

Football's totally changed. I never expect we'll see those days again but I'm ok with that. Would just like to see us in a cup final before I die.

Took us a bit by surprise at the time TBH!

Archived