Feel for you young 'uns..

mozza

I just want to say 'Well done' to our supporters who regularly attend

matches at this present time.. by young , i mean any of you who were born

in the last 25-35 years. I was spoilt as a teenager , seeing the emergence of

the greatest Derby County team of all time , every match was like 'wow' this is

entertainment of the highest order'.. ( or words to that effect) . Unfortunately ,

this trend only lasted till 'The Doc' arrived imo , its been steadily downhill since then..

Entertainment in those days , would rate at least 8 out of 10.. nowadays , what you

are watching , rates about 4 out of ten , at best..

I love Derby County , and pray that , one day we will be able to , at least achieve

Premiership status , and once again  we can be proud to call ourselves 'Rams fans' ,

as i say in my opening lines , i'm pleased to be associated with you 'young uns' ,

you've stuck by your club , in probably the drabbest times , certainly in my 45 years

of following the Rams..

Congrats.. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to disagree with you there having witnessed such dross as Billy Caskey, Paul Emson, Mick Coop and gates below 10,000. Since I started watching Derby we have probably had over a hundred players who would not get into our current side.

my ex bought me a 150 Premier League goals from the Jim Smith era, and some classic football was played during that time, with some awesome goals. 

We've not been totally starved of entertainment to be honest. Just actual success.

I liked Jim Smiths team , just saying when i was young , there has been a decline , albeit steady ,

in entertainment , not just at Derby , but everywhere , really , no characters in the game anymore

for one. Every single team in the seventies/eighties , had at least one player you'd pay the admission

price to go and see, nowadays ?.. name 'em..

My glory days were the Jim Smith era.

Spurs away? Winnable

Arsenal away? Possible

United at home? Real feeling we can upset them.

Instead of pushing on that last little bit and playing in Europe we dropped off and eventually sank away. It's perhaps why when good managers get sacked and people go crazy it's sometimes worth looking for a bigger picture. Sometimes it takes fresh ideas and enthusiasm to step it up. As great as the bald eagle was and he's pretty much a modern legend to my age group at least.... Perhaps he stayed a touch too long and a tough decision should of been made? Easy to say in hindsight.

But it gives hope. The PL isn't impenetrable. The Europa League isn't exclusive to a set few teams either. It's sad we won't be Europe's centre stage v Real Madrid. That's a feeling you'll have to explain.

I liked Jim Smiths team , just saying when i was young , there has been a decline , albeit steady ,

in entertainment , not just at Derby , but everywhere , really , no characters in the game anymore

for one. Every single team in the seventies/eighties , had at least one player you'd pay the admission

price to go and see, nowadays ?.. name 'em..

Sadly, all of these players are hoarded by the top clubs now. Gone are the days where an Igor Stimac would end up in the second flight of football, he'd now be warming the bench somewhere like Everton.

Sadly, all of these players are hoarded by the top clubs now. Gone are the days where an Igor Stimac would end up in the second flight of football, he'd now be warming the bench somewhere like Everton.

Igor Stimac is the manager of the Croatian National Team

Igor Stimac is the manager of the Croatian National Team

have you been drinking? lol

I Know he's the manager of Croatia, I was trying to say that the modern day equivalent would today be on the bench in the Premier league, not coming to play at Derby.

have you been drinking? lol

I Know he's the manager of Croatia, I was trying to say that the modern day equivalent would today be on the bench in the Premier league, not coming to play at Derby.

Hey man, don't be so sure. QPR have Remy and Cesar.

Sometimes a player just sees the bigger picture of what a club is trying to achieve....

Not necessarily, money talks! Forest and Leicester can pay more than say Swansea or West Brom.

Hey man, don't be so sure. QPR have Remy and Cesar.

Sometimes a player just sees the bigger picture of what a club is trying to achieve....

QPR are in the Premier League, we were in the bottom half of the second division when we signed Stimac. Show me the equivalent of Stimac in the championship. I will put money on neither Remy or Cesar playing for QPR next reason regardless of wage.

Not necessarily, money talks! Forest and Leicester can pay more than say Swansea or West Brom.

Maybe so, but show me a player that turns down a move to a safe Premier League side to go to the Championship.

I can remember someone like Pitman choosing to go to Bristol or similar over Blackpool cos of money. But Blackpool were plummeting down the Premier League and Bristol City in the play-off places.

Thank you. I've seen Eranio, Baiano etc play but I can't really remember seeing them. You know things are ***** when the best players you've seen in a derby shirt that you can remember are Idiakez, Commons and Mo Camara... :D

Hooligan! Was it you giving the 'wall a bad name?

Thank you. I've seen Eranio, Baiano etc play but I can't really remember seeing them. You know things are ***** when the best players you've seen in a derby shirt that you can remember are Idiakez, Commons and Mo Camara... :D

Dear oh dear  :D 

I grew up in the Smith era and while I'm old enough to have fond memories of it, I wouldn't say I was old enough to appreciate it - I kinda naively thought those days would last forever. Then we got relegated. I'm welling up...

Although it was interesting to see 2/3rds of the schools Forest fans in Year 7 turn in to 2/3rds of the schools Derby fans by Year 11...

Hooligan! Was it you giving the 'wall a bad name?

haha no, not today. The daft monkeys were fighting with themselves and the coppers, no idea why I even went Wigan v Millwall today!! Went Leicester v Brum Friday as well. Haven't I got anything better to do, like drugs or mug people??

Dear oh dear :D

I grew up in the Smith era and while I'm old enough to have fond memories of it, I wouldn't say I was old enough to appreciate it - I kinda naively thought those days would last forever. Then we got relegated. I'm welling up...

Although it was interesting to see 2/3rds of the schools Forest fans in Year 7 turn in to 2/3rds of the schools Derby fans by Year 11...

haha sounds about right! I must have only been 4/5 towards the end of Jim Smith's time, had a season ticket ever since we got relegated from the premiership in that era so I'm sure you can imagine the type of players I've seen.. Oh and I missed Kinkladze off that list!

haha sounds about right! I must have only been 4/5 towards the end of Jim Smith's time, had a season ticket ever since we got relegated from the premiership in that era so I'm sure you can imagine the type of players I've seen.. Oh and I missed Kinkladze off that list!

My first season was the 95/96 promotion season when I was 9. I've had a season ticket ever since. I still get goose bumps when I think about Van Der Laan heading the ball in the back of the net versus Crystal Palace.

I consider myself very lucky to have caught the last few seasons at the BBG, from the beer-stained wood paneled bars to the absolute Tardis of a Ramtique (how did everyone fit in there!?). Match days felt more tribal somehow, us versus them (in a non-violent way), as though every match meant something, as opposed to the 'family day out' kind of feeling we get nowadays (no offence intended towards young families who go).

I can only dream what the place must have been like in the early 70s.

Archived