What is an Engineer?

Oxram

I'm not looking for someone to Google it and post the definition, I can do that myself.

I'd like to know what the people of Derby, a city with the likes of Rolls Royce, Toyota and Bombardier, think an engineer is and when does a person become an engineer?

Also would you class yourself as an engineer and if so why?

Don't do research to check your right, I'm looking to gauge opinion.Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an Engineer... 

I work within the materials industry, analysis and characterisation - also studying a materials science engineering degree. 

I wouldn't have the first clue how to define an engineer though, it's so vast and I would probably guess 30% of this forum is probably involved in engineering in some form or another. 

Thanks
I asked on here hoping alot of people would consider themselves engineers.

Do you call yourself an engineer because of your job or line of study?

and is Material science Engineering different to Material Engineering?

Engineer is someone who understands the functionality and design of something that has a core purpose in (mainly) industry.

An Engineer, will invariably understand technical data, including drawings, parts lists/BOMs, revision control, and modification changes.

Engineers can be anything from Sound Engineer who rigs up sound systems and equipment for Oasis or Coldplay for a gig, or someone who ensures a designed part/component/structure/object is fit for prescribed purpose.

I know they don't vary massively and its only four of you but each of you said something different which is interesting.

I am also an engineer and I've just got a new job but in explaining my news to family and friends it reminded me of how when I went off to university to study Automotive Engineering, nobody knew what a engineer actually was. Most people thought I wanted to work in a garage and told me about how they knew someone doing that and I didn't need to waste money on uni.

Engineer is someone who understands the functionality and design of something that has a core purpose in (mainly) industry.

An Engineer, will invariably understand technical data, including drawings, parts lists/BOMs, revision control, and modification changes.

Engineers can be anything from Sound Engineer who rigs up sound systems and equipment for Oasis or Coldplay for a gig, or someone who ensures a designed part/component/structure/object is fit for prescribed purpose.

Do you have an involvement in that area? its a view I've not come across before, I usually think of engineering as something for the consumer with new technology and transport, etc.

Aircraft Engineer myself, work on the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft in the RAF.

I'm a multi trade engineer as most engineering trades are in the forces, a few of the many systems I tend to include Electrical power generation, Radar, Communications and Defensive aids. 

Archived