What If's

Leicester Ram

We find ourselves in 8th tonight, facing a very winnable run of games, 6 points off 6th but any chance at the play-offs is dismissed.

Looking back at certain results, there are a few games which stick out in my mind as the reason we're not preparing for a play-off push, whether it be due to a lack of leadership, finishing touch or experience (not holding onto leads).

Both draws with Wednesday- we went 2-0 up both times and threw it away- 4 points

Forest at home- an awful performance in the most important game of the season, at home where we are usually strong- 2 points

Wolves at home- bottom of the league, should have been a walkover- 2 points

Bolton at home- not a bad team, but a team we should have beaten at home- 2 points

Millwall away- their 1st goal wasn't a goal and we should never have conceded the 2nd- a possible 3 points

Palace at home- missed penalty in dying minutes anyone?- 1 point

Huddersfield away- conceded in 1st minute, one lapse cost us- 3 points

Boro away- Theo misses a good chance in last few minutes- 2 points

Total of points squandered= 19 points

If just a few of these had gone our way we'd be in a position to push for the play-offs right now.

moan moan moan whinge whinge whinge etc.

Shows that ultimately a lack of quality cost us, but we're not THAT far off the play-offs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now let's go through the 'ifs' of our good results..

Ipswich 1-2 Derby... What if they took their multiple chances in the first half and we lost instead of scoring a jammy last minute goal

Derby 2-0 Barnsley.. Another nothing game where we had a few breaks

Forest 0-1 Derby.. What if the ref didn't show a very harsh red card for a nothing challenge

Derby 2-1 Leicester.. What if Leicester hadn't missed a hatful of chances in the 2nd half

Leeds 1-2 Derby.. What if Leeds had scored instead of hitting the bar or giving away soft freekicks in the last minutes of the game

Derby 3-2 Brum.. What if Brum hadn't stupidly given the ball away on the edge of their own box with 5 mins remaining..

It's swings and roundabouts in this league.. Goals obviously determine the results but Derby have scored and conceded so many this season through stupidity, a mistake, a refereeing howler or a genuine fluke.. It's easy to look at points dropped but we've won a fair share of points through good fortune more than actually deserving the points through good play.

Ipswich 1-2 Derby... What if they took their multiple chances in the first half and we lost instead of scoring a jammy last minute goal

Derby 2-0 Barnsley.. Another nothing game where we had a few breaks

Forest 0-1 Derby.. What if the ref didn't show a very harsh red card for a nothing challenge

Derby 2-1 Leicester.. What if Leicester hadn't missed a hatful of chances in the 2nd half

Leeds 1-2 Derby.. What if Leeds had scored instead of hitting the bar or giving away soft freekicks in the last minutes of the game

Derby 3-2 Brum.. What if Brum hadn't stupidly given the ball away on the edge of their own box with 5 mins remaining..

It's swings and roundabouts in this league.. Goals obviously determine the results but Derby have scored and conceded so many this season through stupidity, a mistake, a refereeing howler or a genuine fluke.. It's easy to look at points dropped but we've won a fair share of points through good fortune more than actually deserving the points through good play.

Boooooooooo... :lol:

Usually these what ifs mean nothing as they are evened out by undeserved points gained. However, I'm struggling to think of too many of these.

Didn't probably deserve to win today. Leicester? We've either played well and won, or not played well and lost/drew. If we can grind more results out next year when we aren't playing well we could do ok.

Actually, this probably sums up Clough's reign. Apart from the infamous 4 game winning streak at the start of last season, we've tended to have spells where we play well and win, then spells where we play badly and lose. Also, not a lot of draws.

Before Jan this season, we were good at home, bad away. Since turn of year we have reverted to the bad form, good form model.

Next season we probably just need to play well in the same number of games but pick up more points when we aren't so good. A goal scorer would be nice. Giles Barnes did this for us when we got promoted.

I think our performances have been better than our position shows, however, the past 2 months or so have seen us lose pretty, and win ugly. 

I think we're much further away than we think, I personally don't think 'a goalscorer' will solve all our problems, it would help a part of our problem but certainly not solve it. I do think we need more quality in the final third, however. 

I think viable options needs to be brought in and addressed! I mean a team at Championship level that can't rotate due to lack of options, if this was conference then fair enough - but we need to have the ability to keep it fresh or rejuvenate the team. Our players don't get enough credit on this account, when we have a dip in form it lingers because we can't freshen it up. This needs looking at, for me anyway. I mean first team midfield options Jacobs, Bryson, Hendrick, Bavies, Hughes, Coutts and (Ward) we have 7 names, lets compare with the gumps, who have Gillett, Moussi, Guedioura, Cohen, Mcgugan, Reid, Greening, Lansbury, Majewski, McLaughlin and (cox) so 11 options if needed, but our midfield is poles apart from theirs yet their ability to keep people fresh is their greatest asset, we simply don't have that! 

And more experience, sometimes on the pitch we are dragged out of our game plan to easy, today for instance was a perfect example - we started strong with a clear gameplan, by the 30 minute mark we'd gone back to playing reactive football and playing off their game plan and that for me is down to lack of mental discipline and making wrong decisions and being knocked of their confidence. 

To say the Millwall away result was undeserved is absolute pony, we were terrible that day and got exactly what we deserved.

The game that stands out the most where we didnt get what we deserved was Wolves away second game of the season, we should have won that comfortably. 

If you're gunna do ifs and buts there's got to be a genuine reason for the missed points, like the Palace at home missed penno. You cant just bring up a game and say we should have won like the Forest game at home where we just played average and got a fair point. You might as well go through every dropped point and say we should have played better and should have won. 

Ipswich 1-2 Derby... What if they took their multiple chances in the first half and we lost instead of scoring a jammy last minute goal- 3 points

Derby 2-0 Barnsley.. Another nothing game where we had a few breaks- Bullshit, we were always going to win that.

Forest 0-1 Derby.. What if the ref didn't show a very harsh red card for a nothing challenge- 3 points

Derby 2-1 Leicester.. What if Leicester hadn't missed a hatful of chances in the 2nd half- 2 chances more like 3 points

Leeds 1-2 Derby.. What if Leeds had scored instead of hitting the bar or giving away soft freekicks in the last minutes of the game- 3 points

Derby 3-2 Brum.. What if Brum hadn't stupidly given the ball away on the edge of their own box with 5 mins remaining..- what if we hadn't given away a penalty? -3 points

Points total- 15 points

I'd still argue we've lost more points we should have won than gained points we shouldn't have.

To say the Millwall away result was undeserved is absolute pony, we were terrible that day and got exactly what we deserved.

The game that stands out the most where we didnt get what we deserved was Wolves away second game of the season, we should have won that comfortably. 

If you're gunna do ifs and buts there's got to be a genuine reason for the missed points, like the Palace at home missed penno. You cant just bring up a game and say we should have won like the Forest game at home where we just played average and got a fair point. You might as well go through every dropped point and say we should have played better and should have won. 

A goal which shouldn't have stood is my arguing point for that, anything could have happened if that goal hadn't stood. Games have turning points.

but WHAT IF,, we pick up 12 points from the last 6 games that could sneak us in playoffs depending on other results ,, Ipswich , Blackburn , Barnsley , P'boro , Blackpool and Millwall are all winable games

12 won't be anywhere near enough. I reckon 16 minimum

i just did it totally unbiased with our results and with the teams above us results , and ive got us down for 3rd :ph34r:

Anyone fancy working through the BBC score predictor?

I've just done it and the only bias I applied (ok, it was a huge bias) was that Derby win all their last 6 games. All other predictions were 'sensible'.

I got us to 5th, 4 points clear of 7th. The gumps were 3rd. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/predictor/default.stm

You'll always have if's and but's come the end of the season, I'm sure Forest's IF is imagine if BD was there at the start of the season. With the poor standard of this division this season I reckon they'd of pissed it. 

The ones that stand out for me are Burnley at home, battered them second half only to concede late on. Wednesday at home and away. Shouldn't be throwing 2-0 leads away that easily. 

Just ran through the predictor with a hint of optimism.  :lol:

I had us going into the last game on 67 points in 7th. GD of 9. 

Forest in 6th on 69 with a GD on 8.

Leicester managed a draw at the city ground and we beat Millwall...

We finished 6th on GD. 

EIEIEIO....

Archived