I have failed as a father.

Boycie

It saddens me to have to admit that I have failed my son.

I have known for a few years now that I have a problem with drink, swearing, and arguing in front of the children. Watching inappropriate programmes on TV before they go to bed, missing valuable hours of their childhood by sitting on this forum and other social media night after night.

Dismissing his cries for help with his homework, sending him off the school with a hedge bottom hair do because I was getting a pun into a thread.

Making him eat pot noodles and other microwave easy meals because it took up too much of my time.

Well, all the above I can live with, but tonight, tonight he said he doesn't want to support Derby anymore, but wants to support Manu.

Where did I go wrong? Should I have been there in his hours of need?

I'm just a terrible parent, with a Manu supporting son.

Please don't pity me.

But, help me.

What do I do? This isn't covered in the parenting courses that my missus has been on.

I've never been so upset.

I'm having the same problem with my lad.He says that he likes Man City.

I told him he should support the team closest to where he was born and bred.

That backfired on me , he was born in snottingham(I told him that notts county was closer than florest ;) ),bugger.

'No' I said we live in Derbyshire we should all support Derby.

It is very worrying, but it's got me out of buying a season ticket next year. Although my gal loves Derby so i might be taking her.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man Utd are on TV today, 12.45pm Sunderland away. Don't tell him, then at 2.30pm shout him down from his Xbox and ask him how he thought Utd played today and was he happy with the result.

Proceed to point and laugh at him for not even knowing his team was playing and on TV. Call him names like plastic fan.

Monday strap him to a chair and tape his eyes open for the Derby game whilst playing on loop "Come on Derby" through a set of headphones.

You could get a tattooist in to ink him a ram but that might be going too far.

Man Utd are on TV today, 12.45pm Sunderland away. Don't tell him, then at 2.30pm shout him down from his Xbox and ask him how he thought Utd played today and was he happy with the result.

Proceed to point and laugh at him for not even knowing his team was playing and on TV. Call him names like plastic fan.

Monday strap him to a chair and tape his eyes open for the Derby game whilst playing on loop "Come on Derby" through a set of headphones.

You could get a tattooist in to ink him a ram but that might be going too far.

Brilliant parenting advice :lol: 

I was branded/tattooed at an early age, i'd consider doing that Boycie.

When I was about 9, and playing for Mickleover All Stars, I went through a phase for a couple of years of supporting Man U. This was just after we got relegated. I didn't know if Man U were any good, but my brother-in-law comes from Manchester, so I felt I had a tenuous link (he supported City mind, I didn't know that, I was a fairly clueless child, didn't have a Dad to influence me (had a Dad, lovely bloke, but he just isn't into footy at all, and if he was, he'd be into Reading)).

I think I liked supporting Man U because they generally got more coverage on the tele, and I could easily collect posters in magazines like Shoot and Match, and in my Panini sticker albums.

But the moral of the story is, I eventually saw the light. Getting a paper round helped, and reading the back page on the Telegraph every day. I eventually officially converted back to DCFC the season Jim Smith took over. Followed the whole manager recruiting process in the back pages throughout the Summer. Just happened to coincide with us getting promoted the next season.

So, I think the point is, let him go for now, he'll come back, and when he does, it'll be his decision, not something he just grew up with, and then he'll be DCFC for life.

...But if that doesn't happen within a couple of years, you might have to try extreme therapy.

erm, thanks mate.   what no "is that Boycie and his lad?" I'm surprised at you lot.

Have I wasted my time on here?

it couldn't be you , silly , unless you've bin tellin' porkies..and it's YOU who

doesn't want to go .. very persuasive your boy..

:p

Archived