Clough

El Stanion

Nigel Clough Hokey Cokey  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bueno was exciting, unpredictable, creative...all the things our manager dislikes in a player. Everything he is void of in his own personality.

Umm...errr...ummm...

Nonsense. Clough signed him in the first place.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does this 'Bueno disappeared second half of the season' myth come from?

It's absolute b*llocks. In the second half of the season he was our best player, off the top of my head, in games away at Palace (where he taken off at half time despite creating our goal in the first half), Norwich (where he scored twice I think) and Cardiff. 

Clough didnt play him consistently and often took him off in games where we were accepting a point by half time. 

He's sublimely skillful, but once teams worked out that they had to be physical with him and the pitches got heavy it did all go downhill. I reckon you're rewriting history a bit there,

And also, we had Barker & Shackel last season. Until March anyway. And where did we finish? Up near the playoffs?

I like Barker a lot, and I pray that his new deal wasn't purely for insurance purposes, to to suggest bringing him back would make us a playoff side, is frankly ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous to suggest that our captain wouldn't have made a difference to us? How many games have we had kids or bit part players at centre half this season? How many point soff the play offs are we again? 8 ish?

He's sublimely skillful, but once teams worked out that they had to be physical with him and the pitches got heavy it did all go downhill. I reckon you're rewriting history a bit there,

It didnt go downhill, he wasnt as good as he was earlier in the season which probably gives this perception that he was useless, he just wasnt as good as he had been.

He was still our best player in those games mentioned and didnt even get started regularly. I can still remember Clough saying something along the lines of, he would have liked to have played him but he didnt have the work rate/grit that other players had that was required at that time of the season. Could have just made that up but I distinctly remember Clough saying something similar to that. 

People severely exagerrate that Bueno went off the boil, just because the side were sh*te in the second half of that season and Bueno wasnt as good, he was still an influential player.

But he wasn't helped..

We went from a passing side which clearly suited him to a negative root one survival side that clearly didn't..

How is it ridiculous to suggest that our captain wouldn't have made a difference to us? How many games have we had kids or bit part players at centre half this season? How many point soff the play offs are we again? 8 ish?

Our position is not down to goals against. We rarely, if ever get heavily beaten.

Our problem is we can't put the ball in the net. Ipswich, Wolves, bolton, palace... Exactly how would our centre half win them.

Our position is not down to goals against. We rarely, if ever get heavily beaten.

Our problem is we can't put the ball in the net. Ipswich, Wolves, bolton, palace... Exactly how would our centre half win them.

i think there are only  6 teams in the divsion who have scored more than us.

We miss too many chances, I'll give you that but goals are not the issue.

We've conceded too many. We've lost too many points when we've been in the lead. Closing games out professionally, that's our issue. Not the goals.

Top two have scored 69 and 59. We've scored 63.

Top two have conceded 42 and 48. We've conceded 60.

Plus the fact that extra quality at centre half wins you more ball and gives you more chance to play.

Top two have scored 69 and 59. We've scored 63.

Top two have conceded 42 and 48. We've conceded 60.

Plus the fact that extra quality at centre half wins you more ball and gives you more chance to play.

To be fair, we have probably spent more money CB than any other position.

If Nige had a fraction of the gumps or Leicester's budget to spend we'd probably be in the Prem by now.

(Based on the fact he'd of kept Commons and signed Hooper and Sharp).

Guys, don't be fooled. Derby has money. They bid in excess of 2m for Simon Cox, but Derby wouldn't pay the wage he was expecting! This was after we had brought Keogh so that 2m would have been coming from somewhere!

Guys, don't be fooled. Derby has money. They bid in excess of 2m for Simon Cox, but Derby wouldn't pay the wage he was expecting! This was after we had brought Keogh so that 2m would have been coming from somewhere!

But thats the whole point - Nige has not been allowed to compete with wages, 

But thats the whole point - Nige has not been allowed to compete with wages, 

Maybe that's true. I think it's important a to get good players to the club, but it takes a good manager to attract them to the club, and manage them correctly so they stay, and I really don't think Clough is the man to do that.

I'm not sure Nigel is putting anyone off from coming to the club. I doubt they think "I don't want to work for him". I would say (again, turning into a broken record) that we don't help ourselves by the limited pool of players we scout and bid for. Everyone knows the players we want, others want them as well so we end up losing out and going for a lower league cheaper option. There's a while world out there and it's full of footballers, maybe if we try looking further than the UK for players we may find a few more who others don't know about and we can snap up for less fees and wages. It's worked in the past.

I'm not sure Nigel is putting anyone off from coming to the club. I doubt they think "I don't want to work for him". I would say (again, turning into a broken record) that we don't help ourselves by the limited pool of players we scout and bid for. Everyone knows the players we want, others want them as well so we end up losing out and going for a lower league cheaper option. There's a while world out there and it's full of footballers, maybe if we try looking further than the UK for players we may find a few more who others don't know about and we can snap up for less fees and wages. It's worked in the past.

I completely agree with this. We could be looking in places like Eastern Europe or Scandinavia and we could buy players more cheaply who are potentially better players than the over-priced British-Irish equivalent. The things is, Nigel doesn't have the scouting set up, much like his father he is a coach. We could do with someone to take up that Director of Football role to deal with this (which had been talked about before). He would lead a scouting team and would be in charge of signing the players up with Nigel's permission. 

Well it's not the first time £2m has been talked about,as it was also mentioned re Hooper.The trouble is,Glick also talked of it in Jan 12 when he said we couldn't afford Sharp's wages,nor could we afford to pay that kind of fee.Someone should also tell Nigel,because he seems to be under the impression we might have to sell a couple before we can deal.I'll believe the £2m if and when it materialises (without the need to sell). 

Archived