Clough

El Stanion

Nigel Clough Hokey Cokey  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It never fails to amaze me when some of you (who I think are adults) get so uptight because of something that Nigel Clough is reported to have said to a local Newspaper reporter. Your delicate characters want reassuring by the manager only saying super positive things - it is quite pathetic really.

How odd that you think that, us that can see his comments as negative actually think it's the players that need to hear positive things.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It never fails to amaze me when some of you (who I think are adults) get so uptight because of something that Nigel Clough is reported to have said to a local Newspaper reporter. Your delicate characters want reassuring by the manager only saying super positive things - it is quite pathetic really.

I don't mind you disagreeing but no need to be condescending.

I think Clough sends out the wrong message. Always lowering expectations and no sense of excitement in the job he is doing. Like a passionless marriage, just going through the motions.

Of course Clough cares about this job, of course he tries his best. But none of that comes through in his interviews and that is the medium by which he communicates to the fans.

I don't for one minute think Clough isn't trying his best, but is his best good enough?. I don't think so. He talks about stability and steady progress but i'm afraid this season were going backwards.

I have heard him shower praise on his players when were winning but he's quick to blame them when things go wrong!!. Iv'e never heard him say he was wrong.

Well let's look at it from another point of view, we have sold less season tickets for next season, the gates are down by 8000 this season, and we look like collecting less points than last season, then Clough comes out says "we don't want to lose to Peterborough" not exactly inspiring is it? Not the message that will get the people who are staying away to return. It is getting tedious time and again making it seem as though we are up against it every game.

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted A minute ago

bcnram, on 19 Apr 2013 - 12:07, said:"http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapback" alt="snapback">

Well let's look at it from another point of view, we have sold less season tickets for next season, the gates are down by 8000 this season, and we look like collecting less points than last season, then Clough comes out says "we don't want to lose to Peterborough" not exactly inspiring is it? Not the message that will get the people who are staying away to return. It is getting tedious time and again making it seem as though we are up against it every game.

We are 7% down on season tickets at this stage. We are not 8,000 down on gates this season compared to last we are less than 3,000 down. 

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Sport/Derby-County-FC/Nigel-Clough-calls-for-Derby-County-to-avoid-defeat-against-Peterborough-20130418190216.htm? Please read it again because for the life of me i do not know what is wrong with what he has said ..

Hes often said try to win games yes but if you cant win dont lose... That is the correct mentality.

As I said earlier, would it not have been better to say "we are going to go out and play as we have tried to, at home, take the game to Peterborough, and try and win. We need the points to move away from them." If after the game it is a draw, he can say "we didn't lose, we have kept them and any threat of relegation at arms length. We went out for the win, but but unfortunately we weren't able to get it this time because [insert players name] made a mistake/couldn't score/whatever went wrong"

Would that not have been better? Would that make some fans think "yeah we are going to win this game"?

I don't mind you disagreeing but no need to be condescending.

I think Clough sends out the wrong message. Always lowering expectations and no sense of excitement in the job he is doing. Like a passionless marriage, just going through the motions.

Of course Clough cares about this job, of course he tries his best. But none of that comes through in his interviews and that is the medium by which he communicates to the fans.

It is difficult not to be condescending when supposedly grown men are coming out with this tripe based on a report in a pretty poor local rag when you do not even know how the question that he answered was asked. It is comical !!! 

It is difficult not to be condescending when supposedly grown men are coming out with this tripe based on a report in a pretty poor local rag when you do not even know how the question that he answered was asked. It is comical !!! 

I am basing my views on his comments over the course of his time here. If you are suggesting I would be foolish enough to judge on just one report then you have it all wrong.

It's not in order of preference. To write one of the list off due to 1 result is a bit much. Sorry than none of them stick out for you. I'm sure Nigel wouldn't have stuck out for you when we appointed him if it wasn't for his Name. All of the above are managing ata higher level than he did when we appointed him.

You asked the question, I answered, you brush it off.

It is difficult not to be condescending when supposedly grown men are coming out with this tripe based on a report in a pretty poor local rag when you do not even know how the question that he answered was asked. It is comical !!!

Maybe if it was a one off then you would have a point, but seeing as we have had the same thing for rather a lot then it points to being the norm. Also it is on the OS or does that not count as we weren't aware of how any of the questions were asked? Shall we disregard every newspaper article ever written?

As for the attendance, how many games have sold out this season compared to last? ST are down on renewals. Doesn't matter how many, it is still down.

I am wanting the best for Derby, as is everyone here, I hope, and because I disagree with you, others and things that Clough has done and continues to do doesn't make what I say any less worthwhile. If you want to call me names, try and insult my intelligence, and not debate topics, fine go ahead, it just makes you look like the fool.

Because no matter what he says or does some Rams fans just jump on him.    Im not suggesting you do but its a general state of affairs.            Look at the Sammon debate he could score on Saturday and be man of the match and Cloughie would  still be criticised  for signing him.        Personally i would start Bennett and Sammon up front but thats an opinion .. Nigel should be respected hes only human.   

Likewise some fans praise his every step. People will always find things to suit their agenda if they have one. There are things I have and will praise Clough for. There are things I think he has got wrong. For me, what he gets wrong outweighs the good. Rarely if at all has a pre match interview with Clough made me confident we are going to win or actually go for the win, he plays it safe.

This is not about people making snap decisions on one off comments. Fans have had 4 years to make up their minds.

Does this read better for you people who only want positive comments from the manager rather than the truth? :)

Clough urges Derby to build on their late leveller at Barnsley when they face Peterborough at Pride Park on Saturday.

We want to build on the fantastic feeling of scoring in the last minute at Barnsley."

Nigel Clough

Nigel Clough wants Derby County to build on the feeling of elation at scoring in the dying seconds of Tuesday’s game at Barnsley when Peterborough United come to town on Saturday.

The Rams were staring a third straight Championship defeat in the face at Oakwell, until John Brayford popped up in added time to head home a deserved injury-time equaliser.

Jubilant scenes followed in front of the Derby supporters and Clough now wants his side to back that away point up with a home victory against in-form Posh.

Maybe if it was a one off then you would have a point, but seeing as we have had the same thing for rather a lot then it points to being the norm. Also it is on the OS or does that not count as we weren't aware of how any of the questions were asked? Shall we disregard every newspaper article ever written?

As for the attendance, how many games have sold out this season compared to last? ST are down on renewals. Doesn't matter how many, it is still down.

I am wanting the best for Derby, as is everyone here, I hope, and because I disagree with you, others and things that Clough has done and continues to do doesn't make what I say any less worthwhile. If you want to call me names, try and insult my intelligence, and not debate topics, fine go ahead, it just makes you look like the fool.

I don't think I was calling you names, yes I agree that I was perhaps questioning the intelligence of a few people on here for getting wound up over such trivial stuff. You I was questioning because you put some 'made up attendance figures' on your post for whatever reason. Wilko I believe put a made up quote on about another club's goalkeeper. Maybe I am a fool :) but at least I keep my posts honest and do not make up things to boost a weak argument. xxx

Wilko i didnt brush it off. I wasnt in total agreement with Nigel being appointed but i can tell you this most Rams fans seemed happy enough at the time after Jewell resigned but thats history.

It is true that he has made mistakes but if you appoint another manager you will have to start again from scratch . ie youth policy . Nigel knows these players and deserves a chance next season to bring in a few experienced players to compliment the others. Brayford was a good signing by Nigel that will reap rewards if we sell him or not.. Jeff Hendrick , Will Hughes , and Mason are being tutoured by Darren Wassall and Nigel... Im quite impressed with Garner now also. Johhny Method knows what he is talking about and for me so does Crosby...... If Nigel fails he will know when to go but i am all for supporting him whilst he is our manager. PS The fact Brian was so successful is neither here not there as far as i am concerned and i will judge Nigel as a manager in his own right..........I think he knows where to strengthen next season a new manager would not.

Tactics well we all think we know the best tactics because we all think we can be managers dont we Its just a game COYR

Agree we all think we know better re tactics, team selections etc all think we could be managers. It's part of the games charm that we all come away knowing best.

I was very happy with Nigel's appointment. What was there to be unhappy about? Young manager, local fella who likes the club, the romance of who his dad was, good record where he was. I wanted him to do well and if I'm honest after the good start to the seasons we have I tend to get carried away with those feelings and think "I was wrong it will be ok" but by this time of the season I realise I got lost in the emotion and when you look at it then maybe it's not working. That's my opinion anyway. The managers I've listed are all doing well with their clubs and I wouldn't be upset if he went and others came in. They wouldn't have to start from scratch, just build off what's already there.

Archived