Clough

El Stanion

Nigel Clough Hokey Cokey  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SOmebody posted that Kenny Jackett is a better bet than Nige.

Both managers signed Tyson and Robinson didn't they? Just an aside.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incidently Ramblur why all this emotion regarding Clough,hes only a manager FFS.Did you get this

uptight with all the other managers we've had? Its the name again and who hes the son of.Do you

know if we needed another Clough I'd rather we had gone for Barbara his mum,probably got more

balls and would have been no worse.                        

how you get away with posting some of the garbage you post is beyond me.

That's a shocking comment.

In. Stability is key. Softly slowly...

Be patient.

True.....its like evolution.....gradual change eventually leading to tremendous progress

Given our current rate of progress I reckon we can look forward to winning the Prem in about 500,000 years time.

It's the lack of progress that's the concern. Do I see another manager coming in and turning us into a promotion team overnight? No. This isn't overnight though its four and a half years and over those four and a half years I think the vast majority of fans would say that every season has been a carbon copy of the last. It's the lack of any sort of indication that any season in the future will be different. The squad appears no stronger to now than it has in the past and that's with such a high turnover of players. The tactics away from home no different, the form in the 2nd half of the season no different, the lack of attacking threat and style no different. I started another thread with a joke about Einstien thinking those renewing their ST's were insane maybe that's better suited to the current manager/coaches and board as every year we do the same thing and yet despite the failings we try the same the next year.

I don't expect a new manager to wave a magic wand and make us top six but I would expect them to show some sign they could take us there after over four years in charge.

The signs are there if you ask me. 2 or 3 experienced players in key positions and we're top 6.

In fact, if we'd had Barks fit all season, we'd be there now. There was literally no chance of the Sav era teams getting there.

No chance of the Sav era teams getting there? For me the Sav team is still one of the best under NC. Hulse, Commons, Bueno, Cwyka, Bailey, Sav, Brayford, Barker. We tore a few team apart that season and I don't see this team being near that in terms of attacking threat.

Every season it's "a couple of signings" but I don't think a few signings will change the other points about the change in style and form in the 2nd half of the season, the poor away form, etc.

Bueno cried off as soon as it got cold at Burnley and they started kicking him. Cywka flattered to decieve, Bailey has been improved on by the current three.

In terms of attacking threat, the football played at PPS in the first half of the year has been the best for a while for me. Admittedly it has tailed off, but I think that's largely down to a small squad getting stretched by injuries.

I'm certainly not as sure in Clough as I once was, but I still think good groundwork has been layed here. If the budgets aren't going to change I don't see much point in changing horses because I think the philosophy throughout the club is sound and that will ultimately pay off.

Certainly understand the frustrations though.

The signs are there if you ask me. 2 or 3 experienced players in key positions and we're top 6.

In fact, if we'd had Barks fit all season, we'd be there now. There was literally no chance of the Sav era teams getting there.

Haven't people been saying that for pretty much all his tenure? Nothing changes. Every year is the set up for that magical next year.

How would Barker make us top six?! Unless he turned into a warhurst, and suddenly became a 20 goal a season striker.

how you get away with posting some of the garbage you post is beyond me.

That's a shocking typically predictable  comment.

fixed

A fit Barker would have given us an experienced top class Championship centre half partnership. That and his leadership would have made us more durable, and the number of games we've played better football and been on the front foot and then not won is unreal.

We'd only have to turn three losses into wins and we'd be level with Leicester.

Bueno cried off as soon as it got cold at Burnley and they started kicking him.

I'm sorry but this is my biggest annoyance. Because he's from Spain we label him the stereotypical foreign player who doesn't like our cold weather or the physical aspect to our game. It may just have been down to our change in playing philosophy (as has been demonstrated in every season) then a player not liking the cold. It's a tad disrespectful to the player. Not many of our players play well come the winter months. Singling 1 out because he's from a different country is lazy analysis.

Bailey improved by the current 3? I wouldn't say he was in terms of passing. They have a lot of effort, get in the box more but in terms of quality passes I personally don't think so. Bailey had an eye for a pass that we lack at present. I can't recall many great balls being played by our current centre mids.

I'm sorry but this is my biggest annoyance. Because he's from Spain we label him the stereotypical foreign player who doesn't like our cold weather or the physical aspect to our game. It may just have been down to our change in playing philosophy (as has been demonstrated in every season) then a player not liking the cold. It's a tad disrespectful to the player. Not many of our players play well come the winter months. Singling 1 out because he's from a different country is lazy analysis.

Bailey improved by the current 3? I wouldn't say he was in terms of passing. They have a lot of effort, get in the box more but in terms of quality passes I personally don't think so. Bailey had an eye for a pass that we lack at present. I can't recall many great balls being played by our current centre mids.

Hang on, Bueno definately had a bright spell at Derby where he looked a lovely player, but specifically at Turf Moor he lost his bottle on a cold day when he was getting some physical. He went off before HT after his shoulders slumped and he visibly wilted. That's not stereotypical anything, that's what happened.

Hughes can outpass Bailey all day long, and although I rate Bailey, I'd never take him over Hendrick (possibly the best player at the club at the moment) or Bryson, last years POTY.

A fit Barker would have given us an experienced top class Championship centre half partnership. That and his leadership would have made us more durable, and the number of games we've played better football and been on the front foot and then not won is unreal.

We'd only have to turn three losses into wins and we'd be level with Leicester.

Call me naive here, but exactly how would a solid centre half partnership make us play better football?

We've been in the lead (wednesday twice for example) and clough has forced the entire side to retreat and defend. Are you saying those tactics would change with a more reliable centre half pairing? Infact, I'd be more inclined to think out would do the opposite. Nigel would sit back MORE often as he'd believe them impenetrable.

And also, we had Barker & Shackel last season. Until March anyway. And where did we finish? Up near the playoffs?

I like Barker a lot, and I pray that his new deal wasn't purely for insurance purposes, to to suggest bringing him back would make us a playoff side, is frankly ridiculous.

Hang on, Bueno definately had a bright spell at Derby where he looked a lovely player, but specifically at Turf Moor he lost his bottle on a cold day when he was getting some physical. He went off before HT after his shoulders slumped and he visibly wilted. That's not stereotypical anything, that's what happened.

Hughes can outpass Bailey all day long, and although I rate Bailey, I'd never take him over Hendrick (possibly the best player at the club at the moment) or Bryson, last years POTY.

Where does this 'Bueno disappeared second half of the season' myth come from?

It's absolute b*llocks. In the second half of the season he was our best player, off the top of my head, in games away at Palace (where he taken off at half time despite creating our goal in the first half), Norwich (where he scored twice I think) and Cardiff. 

Clough didnt play him consistently and often took him off in games where we were accepting a point by half time. 

Archived