Summer Transfer Activity

ChaddesdenRam

I'm encouraged about the summer after listening to Rush on the moan in last night. I think we're 4 players away from where we need to be.

Left back. Stephen Crainey, 31, cheap, does what it says on the tin.

Jaques Maghoma, 25. Also cheap, flair player who would give us an option we don't currently have. Could be seen as a luxury but I think we lack a player like that. Davies had luxury match winners in Lupoli and Barnes, I believe Clough needs one.

Jason Shackell. Another center half. obviously JS won't return but he'd be the one I'd have in an ideal world.

Kris Boyd, 29. A striker who isn't expected to do a "shift". Boyd has just signed for an MILS team so it's unlikely he'd be available, but I feel Clough needs to buy a striker and not expect them to put in a shift like all our squad do now. Just put them in the team to score goals. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO if we sign 4 players, in those positions we will make a strong push for promotion. Before Boyd went to the MLS, all of those players other than JS would have been available fairly cheap.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm encouraged about the summer after listening to Rush on the moan in last night. I think we're 4 players away from where we need to be.

Jaques Maghoma, 25. Also cheap, flair player who would give us an option we don't currently have. Could be seen as a luxury but I think we lack a player like that. Davies had luxury match winners in Lupoli and Barnes, I believe Clough needs one.

Jason Shackell. Another center half. obviously JS won't return but he'd be the one I'd have in an ideal world.

Kris Boyd, 29. A striker who isn't expected to do a "shift". Boyd has just signed for an MILS team so it's unlikely he'd be available, but I feel Clough needs to buy a striker and not expect them to put in a shift like all our squad do now. Just put them in the team to score goals. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO if we sign 4 players, in those positions we will make a strong push for promotion. Before Boyd went to the MLS, all of those players other than JS would have been available fairly cheap.

If we got ALL those players you want/mentioned I'd be very, very uninspired indeed.

Yeah you're right, we're 4 players away.

Although we were 4 players away last season and nothing's changed.

And we'll be saying the same this time next year when next season's done.

What happened to that Marc Mcnulty lad that we had on trial? Maybe coming in during the Summer?

I've got a few friends up in Scotland who are down with the football and they rate him very highly indeed, saying he's easily Championship level, if not higher.

Yeah you're right, we're 4 players away.

Although we were 4 players away last season and nothing's changed.

And we'll be saying the same this time next year when next season's done.

Maybe we will be. But are you saying theres no point in signing anyone else ? But in order to improve the squad you need to bring in players. Maybe they will turn out to be flops, maybe they will turn out to be key players. If we dont bring in players in the summer then the club will be critised for having no ambition to improve, and if we do bring in players but dont get close or in the play offs the club will be critised for not buying the right players.

Maybe we will be. But are you saying theres no point in signing anyone else ? But in order to improve the squad you need to bring in players. Maybe they will turn out to be flops, maybe they will turn out to be key players. If we dont bring in players in the summer then the club will be critised for having no ambition to improve, and if we do bring in players but dont get close or in the play offs the club will be critised for not buying the right players.

Clough will sign a player because of the way he has played at his old club, but when he comes to Derby he won't be the same player because Clough does not allow players to express themselves and be creative. You will notice this when a player tries to something a bit different, Clough goes mad, expletives come out his mouth, and for sure he will let the player know that he's not impressed. The players are scared to play because Clough has a habit of falling out with players that don't in the way he wants to play which IMO is a negative approach. We can say that he needs a striker to just score goals, but this is why he signed Sammon, but when he's come into the side and not scored as often as a 1m striker should, to save Cloughs embarrassment he now says that Sammon is In the team to "work hard". IMO Clough does not know what he's doing. He would do well in a L2 club but he's not a Championship Manager.

Surely Nigel did not signSammon to be the goal scorer we needed, I'm not having it... that he thought a player who had scored 1 in 32 at Wigan was suddenly going to turn into a goal machine in a average team....If I thought that I would have to check my sanity for still backing Nigel... He was surely signed to be a nuisance player, a poor mans Heskey...god I was p**sed of the day we signed him.

Surely Nigel did not signSammon to be the goal scorer we needed, I'm not having it... that he thought a player who had scored 1 in 32 at Wigan was suddenly going to turn into a goal machine in a average team....If I thought that I would have to check my sanity for still backing Nigel... He was surely signed to be a nuisance player, a poor mans Heskey...god I was p**sed of the day we signed him.

He seemed to sign Tyson for that reason, I can't remember the quote, but I seem to remember him saying he'd score goals as a striker.

Tyson was a flop but he was on a free. He has high wages but thankfully Milwall have fallen for the trap of getting him on loan and paying some of his wages, he got injured.

Anyway for LB

Stephen Crainey or Aiden White for me

ST

Chris Martin (depending) or Matt Fryatt, then if we are going cheap younger good goal scoring record you could have a punt on Billy McKay or Paddy Madden or Will Grigg or Tom Pope

CB

Barker to be fit or Gary Monk or Another Keogh/Shackell (in clough we trust to find another, he got shackell and keogh who were excellent in their first season).

Flair, Quick, Attacking player

Seeing as though we always get at least 1 or 2 young players on a free from the lower league with a bosman and compensation payment. Jaques Magoma (not just because he plays for Burton), Jon Taylor..... These players are harder to find but yeah.

We could probably get away with not actually spending too much, which may leave us with hopefully some money to go and make 1 big hallmark signing to show intent to the fans and inspire others in the team, not sure who it would be mind or what position exactly.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/wigan-athletic/transfer-talk/news/derby-complete-sammon-signing_41062.html

Check out that link. Clough brought Sammon to score goals, and now that he isn't he has to defend his decision to spend 1.2m, so now he says he is in the side to "work hard". The facts speak for themselves. 6 goals in 33 starts. Theo Robinson has 8 goals after making far less starts, and coming off the bench since December. Despite what people think of Theo, when he starts he gets goals, but Clough has allowed him to go and bring in Chris Martin who surprisingly has worse stats than Theo.

I don't know what Information Clough uses to make decisions or maybe his decision has nothing to do with football!!!

Sorry was being tongue in cheek, as the last part of my mail said," god I was so p**sed off the day we signed him" & especially for double the fee Wigan paid. Working on that basis Andy Carrol must be worth 70m now.... Lets be honest we take a lucky dip approach to our signings hoping to occasionally win the raffle (like with Brayford)....

The fact we have a decent crop of decent youngsters coming through masks a lot....would I trust us to invest the money wisely if we sold our best young talent??? based on Salmon & Keogh (in my opinion) no I wouldnt.

[url=http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/wigan-athletic/transfer-talk/news/derby-complete-sammon-signing_41062.html]http://www.sportsmol...ning_41062.html

Check out that link. Clough brought Sammon to score goals, and now that he isn't he has to defend his decision to spend 1.2m, so now he says he is in the side to "work hard". The facts speak for themselves. 6 goals in 33 starts. Theo Robinson has 8 goals after making far less starts, and coming off the bench since December. Despite what people think of Theo, when he starts he gets goals, but Clough has allowed him to go and bring in Chris Martin who surprisingly has worse stats than Theo.

I don't know what Information Clough uses to make decisions or maybe his decision has nothing to do with football!!!

TBF, it says 'work hard' in that very link you've posted, and he has scored goals...maybe not as much as we'd like, but it's true.

Archived