Summer Transfer Activity

ChaddesdenRam

Why can't Clough and his team take credit for developing the youth.

Clough and co have been here 4 years - that's a hellish big part of any teenagers football career to date

Because some people don't like Clough and will not tolerate any praise/credit due to him, Clough only does wrong and anyone who disagrees is wrong and has a clear agenda.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleep' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='-_-' />

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because some people don't like Clough and will not tolerate any praise/credit due to him, Clough only does wrong and anyone who disagrees is wrong and has a clear agenda.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleep' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='-_-' />

I'm not going to lie, i'm not a massive fan of Clough anymore because of a few things, but thing about him that i am a massive fan of is the fact that he has given our youth a chance. He believes in them and in Will Hughes', Hendricks, O'Briens and Bennett's cases its paid off.

I don't see why Nigel etc cant take credit for bringing in the youth. It was something that some of us, me included, used to criticise him for when he would field a bench with one or two players short rather than give the youngsters a place on the bench. So bringing in O'Brien, Hendrick, Hughes and Bennett is a something he has done and done well.

Surely you could also say cloughs belief in the youth extends to the likes of Brayford who was very young considering clough threw him in at the deep end expecting him to be an ever present straight away.

At other clubs players like Brayford would have been purchased for the 500k and then be transitioned into the team taking 1/2 years until the claimed a 1st team position. By giving John 90 minutes every week he has improved massively with premier league interest. I know this is nothing compare to throwing a 17 year old on the pitch with 20,000 people watching but credit does go to clough for trusting youth right across the board.

I just think that it would be extremely foolish to sell the better players that have improved. For example Brayford ward Hendrick Give these players the high paid contracts they deserve. I think that will be more important than any left back we sign.

I don't see why Nigel etc cant take credit for bringing in the youth. It was something that some of us, me included, used to criticise him for when he would field a bench with one or two players short rather than give the youngsters a place on the bench. So bringing in O'Brien, Hendrick, Hughes and Bennett is a something he has done and done well.

Clough has to take credit you are right, the board hired him as manager and it is widely known that one of the first things he requested was investment in youth since the yanks took over we invested 1 million every year into the moor farm academy and we are starting to reap the rewards.

Clough has to take credit you are right, the board hired him as manager and it is widely known that one of the first things he requested was investment in youth since the yanks took over we invested 1 million every year into the moor farm academy and we are starting to reap the rewards.

Whilst I agree that Clough and the Academy staff (and first team coaching staff,in aiding with the transition) and our world wide investors (not 'yanks') deserve great credit for the Academy improvements,I'm not sure where you get the £1m/year from.None of us know how much was spent before Clough came,neither do we know the current figure.

Whilst I agree that Clough and the Academy staff (and first team coaching staff,in aiding with the transition) and our world wide investors (not 'yanks') deserve great credit for the Academy improvements,I'm not sure where you get the £1m/year from.None of us know how much was spent before Clough came,neither do we know the current figure.

I have seen from valid sources that the international owners (not yanks if that makes any difference, I wasn't saying yanks in any derogatory way btw, just quicker than putting American international owners or whatever) do invest 1 million every year. If I find a source I will quote you. However I do accept your argument that we do not know how much was being invested before.

Nonetheless we had a good crop of youth players during the nyatanga Addison Huddlestone Barnes?? Not sure about Barnes someone could confirm. However after that it dried up and then since the new board have come in there has been a positive correlation of academy players making 1st team apps.

I think you'll find that the new investment relates mainly to additional staff-the infrastructure was already there.You'd be hard pushed to come up with £1m there.Surely,if you added an extra £1m to what was already in place,we'd be a top grade Academy?

Given the number of coaching staff and facilities we are required by the FA to have in order to have a Category 2 academy (with a commitment to move to Category 1) I should think that £1m per annum is a conservative estimate.

Many of Derby's scholars are schooled at Repton - £22,000 a year for a start.

Given the number of coaching staff and facilities we are required by the FA to have in order to have a Category 2 academy (with a commitment to move to Category 1) I should think that £1m per annum is a conservative estimate.

He's suggesting an extra £1m on top of previous costs though Eddie

He's suggesting an extra £1m on top of previous costs though Eddie

Ah, right. Trust me to jump into a thread half way through.

Sam Rush was suggesting when I spoke to him that the intention is for Derby to move to Category 1, so perhaps that's where the 'additional investment' is intended to go to?

Ah, right. Trust me to jump into a thread half way through.

Sam Rush was suggesting when I spoke to him that the intention is for Derby to move to Category 1, so perhaps that's where the 'additional investment' is intended to go to?

I'd guess we're not far off Category 1 at the moment. We should also remember that clubs get a Prem funded grant (which was the leverage they used to push through amendments,against the wishes of many) -I suspect (but don't know) that this is graded according to category (in other words we might get more funding from the Prem if we upped our category).

For the idea that it'll cost around £2m for a 20 goal plus striker. Look at the top 10 goal scorers in the league this season and see how many cost £2m or more.

Psst the answer is 1

(I know I've written this in another post but its interesting, well I think it is)

Wonder what their wages are, compared to our highest earning striker.

It's the wages that kill us. We'll pay the transfer fees.

I'd like this to be the case and to find that we are investing more into youth. I would certainly prefer this method of investment than the general football rule of spending more than you earn for success. I don't have a vast knowledge of the Bundesliga but I am under the impression some ears ago they went the way of sorting out their clubs and invests more in youth and now have healthy clubs with good young players and a sensible transfer policy. It would be nice to see similar happen here. And I am more than happy to be corrected if that's not right about the Bundesliga.

I'd guess we're not far off Category 1 at the moment. We should also remember that clubs get a Prem funded grant (which was the leverage they used to push through amendments,against the wishes of many) -I suspect (but don't know) that this is graded according to category (in other words we might get more funding from the Prem if we upped our category).

Is the increase in funding substantial and worth pursuing the upgrade to the category required? (if you have any idea about this, i don't at all).

Is the increase in funding substantial and worth pursuing the upgrade to the category required? (if you have any idea about this, i don't at all).

The funding for the top category is substantial,but as we don't know what we currently spend,we can't work out the increase needed.If we upgraded and produced 2 players for the first team every year (a big ask),then each player would have effectively cost over £1m to produce (less Prem grant).

[url=http://www.footballacademytalk.com/football-academy-revolution-or-disaster-the-new-fa-elite-player-performance-plan-eppp/]http://www.footballacademytalk.com/football-academy-revolution-or-disaster-the-new-fa-elite-player-performance-plan-eppp/

Many of Derby's scholars are schooled at Repton - £22,000 a year for a start.

There used to be a couple of the Derby kids educated at Repton but that was about 13/14 years ago. Derby haven't put any others into Repton since then. There is at least one Repton schoolboy signed up into the academy at the moment.

Archived