Summer Transfer Activity

ChaddesdenRam

At this point, no idea. I get the impression that we want to sort out those two signings, the striker and the leftback, before the season is out by having loan to buy signings, in which case Martin may be the striker... Is he a goal scorer? I'm not sure, his record would say probably not, but he's had 7 goals at this level playing only 26 times for Palace, 17 at League One level. He hit 11 at League Two level years back as well. From what I can tell his injury record isn't bad either. Clough also tends to get the best out of strikers as well, so you never know on this front, we're almost certainly not going to sign a £2+ mil striker.

As for a leftback, maybe we'll keep trying for White, if we were after him. Maybe we'll elsewhere, only time will tell.

A young winger? Couldn't really know when there aren't even rumours flying around, but surely no more than £400k going by past signings of this type.

Then there's the re-signings, which will cost more than people will give credit for, but personally I feel this could be the key for next season, I don't think we can afford to lose any of those 3 for a cheap 'last year of contract' sale... but we'll see.

We always sign a young winger - it's an unwritten rule.

For me a centre half and a centre forward are key. This is the bedrock of your team. If you have a dominant force in these two areas you'll be in the top 6. This is what we lack right now. Whether we will be able to afford them is another matter and, I suspect, rests on the Hughes situation.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with that actually.

Ward Brayford and Bryson

A left back

A goal scorer

A young winger

Now how much do we think that is gonna cost us, realistically?

We've got a young winger in Jacobs, give me an experienced wide man any time, it's what this team needs. Don't want to see any more youngsters or unproven players in thanks, they won't take us to the next level. Unfortunately though, history dictates that will be the pool the manager is fishing in.

Given what NC said recently, I expect Martin to sign permanently and Robinson to do likewise (for someone else). Other than that, who knows?

As for a "goalscorer", you're looking at £2 million to sign the sort of goalscorer we are all on about (20 goals plus). So we can but hope rather than expect.

Agree with Ward, Brayford and Bryson, need to tie them down.

We definately need a goal scoring forward & a left back...plus to keep our best players....is Martin the answer? I hope so but his record at this level with Norwich & Palace (not to mention his record at Swindon) does not impress, but hey as Albert says stranger things have happened such as Sammons value doubling during his spell at Wigan....

We always sign a young winger - it's an unwritten rule.

For me a centre half and a centre forward are key. This is the bedrock of your team. If you have a dominant force in these two areas you'll be in the top 6. This is what we lack right now. Whether we will be able to afford them is another matter and, I suspect, rests on the Hughes situation.

They say that football is all about opinions, and we we're going to have to disagree. The spine of the team is what should be considered the most important, but in this case I think coming into next season that's where we have a lot of strength, and an area that we really won't need that much work.

Centrehalves: Keogh, Barker, O'Brien, Buxton, Gjokaj - Overall, we have strength and depth here that is very decent for a team at this level, so long as Barker can get back to full fitness. If Barker can't... then we might need to look to other options, but let's save those thoughts for now.

Centremid: Hendrick, Bryson, Coutts, Hughes - Very strong overall so long as none of them leave. The only one I can see leaving in the summer is Hughes, and put bluntly, we should have more than enough for a replacement in that event.

Forwards: Ward, Sammon, Bennett, Ball - The one place that needs some more strength, and personally I'd look to sign someone with some technical ability who has a good finish on them. Personally, I like Sammon, and think he'll be key next season. No, he's not a great goal scorer, but he gets through a lot of work and unsettles defences, he's the kind of striker who needs a partner though, he's wasted on his own as far as I'm concerned

We've got a young winger in Jacobs, give me an experienced wide man any time, it's what this team needs. Don't want to see any more youngsters or unproven players in thanks, they won't take us to the next level. Unfortunately though, history dictates that will be the pool the manager is fishing in.

Given what NC said recently, I expect Martin to sign permanently and Robinson to do likewise (for someone else). Other than that, who knows?

As for a "goalscorer", you're looking at £2 million to sign the sort of goalscorer we are all on about (20 goals plus). So we can but hope rather than expect.

Agree with Ward, Brayford and Bryson, need to tie them down.

Who would you drop, Hughes, Coutts or Jacobs? The reason I say a young winger is because I wouldn't expect them to be an immediate starter, more a young player from the lower leagues to give us that other option for a bit of extra width.

Whilst I say goalscorer, I don't mean proven Championship goalscorer and I expect that this player may very well end up being Martin.

Before we think about who we need to sign in the summer, we need to look at holding onto players like Hughes, Hendrick, and Brayford because we know that Premiership teams have shown interest in them. If we lose them we need to look at finding suitable replacements with championship experience or potentially bringing more players through the academy. Whether Barker will be the same player when he finally returns is another question, and will Ward stay fit through 2013/14? Then we need to look at where we need to strengthen to work best with tactics which largely don't change. No shifting to a negative looking 4-5-1 away from home.

What happened to our interest in Billy McKay? I know its another Scottish import but he looks like a quality player who could do well in the Championship.

Albert with exception of one season in champ 1 a few seasons back what makes you feel that Martin could be the answer??? Don't get me wrong I really hope he is but was just wondering what has he done to give you the feeling he could be the answer.

We've only got him on loan for a month? Surely he's just providing another option since Theo's gone to HUD. I don't think it will be a permanent move. I don't think Martin is going to play any part next season.

We've only got him on loan for a month? Surely he's just providing another option since Theo's gone to HUD. I don't think it will be a permanent move. I don't think Martin is going to play any part next season.

I thought this.

If the loan was with a view to permanent then surely the loan would be to the end of the season.

Maybe the 28 day loan is to let both parties see how things would go.

Then after the 28 days we would sit down and discuss a permanent deal.

Or if it doesn't work out in the 28 days it allows us to get another striker in on loan til the end of the season with a view to a perm.

Albert with exception of one season in champ 1 a few seasons back what makes you feel that Martin could be the answer??? Don't get me wrong I really hope he is but was just wondering what has he done to give you the feeling he could be the answer.

I have absolutely no reason to think he's the answer. But at the end of the day he's 24, has experience at this level and I get the impression that he's going to be the striker signed in summer. It's more a case of trying to be prepared for what's coming rather than thinking that he'd be a good option.

If I can recall, Clough said some like "we've signed him for a month and we'll go from there" (or words to that effect) when he signed. They also did interviews and all sorts on him signing. If I remember correctly we did not do with this our previous "just for cover" loan signings. I get the impression that we've signed him on a month, with a view to extending it for the full 3 with a view to signing him permanently if all goes well, but I could well be wrong. The mix between the timing and the subtle mention of bringing in loans to look to sign them in the summer, and the lack of any other loan signings this season just really sticks out.

As for sales, I don't think we'll sell Hendrick or Brayford, there was interest last summer for both, they both stayed, and there's been interest in Brayford since his first season with us, he's still here. The only question mark to me really is Hughes unless a ridiculous offer comes in for someone else.

You sure?

Yes, we can extend the loan for the full 93 days.

Here we go, the actual quote: "Initially, Chris is here for a month and we’ll just take things from there."

Add to this us looking for loan to buy players, look at his current place with Norwich and suddenly this looks quite likely to be one of those.

Does that 100% mean there is an option?

...well, if we come to an agreement with Norwich it can be extended to 93 days if that's what you're asking. I'm sure that the club would also have discussed the possibility of it being extended before he signed as well, but you never know. I guess we'll see in good time, he's got to play a few times for us first.

Exactly. We're expecting that he's a proven championship player. He needs to play consistently (unlike Theo who I thought was never given a full starting chance ahead of Sammon) Then we'll decide if we actually want him. He may not fit with our style of play at all.

Theo had a full season with us, and it was never a question of "Theo or Sammon", they are entirely different players. You may as well be asking why Legzdins made it onto the field instead of Theo.

Archived