Summer Transfer Activity

ChaddesdenRam

Guys I didnt realise everyone would be so caught in the numbers and sources and that a few players might not leave etc. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

The main point and all I was trying to say was how many players do you think we will see come in to the club given there will be quite a large number of players leaving that will free up the wage position and perhaps a little bit of transfer money too.

Am far more concerned with quality rather than quantity.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys I didnt realise everyone would be so caught in the numbers and sources and that a few players might not leave etc. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

The main point and all I was trying to say was how many players do you think we will see come in to the club given there will be quite a large number of players leaving that will free up the wage position and perhaps a little bit of transfer money too.

The key this off season, as I said earlier in the thread, is more about retaining that vital trio of Brayford, Ward and Bryson for more than one more season than making large numbers of signings. We only need a player or two for next season, most notably a younger leftback and a striker who has a sense for goals and has a good injury record. Ideally we could look into a young winger as well, someone to bring into the team over time, but the priority really needs to be that left back, striker and re-signings.

The key this off season, as I said earlier in the thread, is more about retaining that vital trio of Brayford, Ward and Bryson for more than one more season than making large numbers of signings. We only need a player or two for next season, most notably a younger leftback and a striker who has a sense for goals and has a good injury record. Ideally we could look into a young winger as well, someone to bring into the team over time, but the priority really needs to be that left back, striker and re-signings.

I would agree with that actually.

Ward Brayford and Bryson

A left back

A goal scorer

A young winger

Now how much do we think that is gonna cost us, realistically?

Ward Brayford and Bryson

A left back

A goal scorer

A young winger

Goal scorer - when was the last time we had a striker that scored 20 +goals in a season? Then that will answer your question regards how realistic it will be getting one in during the summer.

I wouldn't count Bryson as vital. To me he offers very little. A central midfield duo of Hughes and Hendrick, especially next season with that bit of extra maturity and strength, is much more preferable.

If we are to challenge near the top, the willing workhorses (Bryson, Buxton and Sammon) need to be replaced by players of better quality. All are fine for mid-table, but IMO none offer enough to a side that hopes to challenge for promotion.

I wouldn't count Bryson as vital. To me he offers very little. A central midfield duo of Hughes and Hendrick, especially next season with that bit of extra maturity and strength, is much more preferable.

If we are to challenge near the top, the willing workhorses (Bryson, Buxton and Sammon) need to be replaced by players of better quality. All are fine for mid-table, but IMO none offer enough to a side that hopes to challenge for promotion.

Well Buxton will hopefully be replaced by Barker thats one down.

Ward Brayford and Bryson

A left back

A goal scorer

A young winger

At this point, no idea. I get the impression that we want to sort out those two signings, the striker and the leftback, before the season is out by having loan to buy signings, in which case Martin may be the striker... Is he a goal scorer? I'm not sure, his record would say probably not, but he's had 7 goals at this level playing only 26 times for Palace, 17 at League One level. He hit 11 at League Two level years back as well. From what I can tell his injury record isn't bad either. Clough also tends to get the best out of strikers as well, so you never know on this front, we're almost certainly not going to sign a £2+ mil striker.

As for a leftback, maybe we'll keep trying for White, if we were after him. Maybe we'll elsewhere, only time will tell.

A young winger? Couldn't really know when there aren't even rumours flying around, but surely no more than £400k going by past signings of this type.

Then there's the re-signings, which will cost more than people will give credit for, but personally I feel this could be the key for next season, I don't think we can afford to lose any of those 3 for a cheap 'last year of contract' sale... but we'll see.

Most of you forgetting Hughes. He'll leave.

I'm not forgetting, I just don't wish to acknowledge this at the moment. I'm clinging to a hope that as an 18 year old he and the club will see it's best for both parties to stay on another season and give the playoffs a real go.

Sounds about right, only 17 years ago and we're suddenly going to get another one this summer with no money.

...and how much did he cost us?

I think our issue is this obsession with the fees, and not the work that goes into making a good signing, into bringing through good young players. Who knows, maybe Martin will sign permanently over the summer and go on to score 20 next season, crazier things have happened. Clough does seem to get the best out of strikers.

Connor Sammon immediately springs to mind 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

It’s obviously difficult to put together a decent strike force on the cheap (fees and wages) so Clough needs get lucky with some combination of the young, the crocks, the out of favour, the cheap, and the Scottish – but I think we’ll all recognize it when he finally does it.

Maybe Martin’s the player Clough needs. Then again, maybe if Martin shines for us he’ll become attractive to clubs prepared to pay more than the minimum wage. Maybe he’ll be out of his depth in the championship (although I doubt that). Maybe if he pulls a hammy next Friday then that’s the last we’ll ever hear of him and Clough will be back to scouring the cheap end of the market.

The only thing that's certain is that for some people Clough can’t do right for doing wrong.

Archived