Derby County v Crystal Palace

davenportram

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway: "[Derby] have got a young side who are so enthusiastic and they probably deserved better than they got tonight.

From BBC.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway: "[Derby] have got a young side who are so enthusiastic and they probably deserved better than they got tonight.

From BBC.

Yeah, he was very complementary towards our performance tonight. He sounded disappointed that we lost, haha.

Bizarrely, the better we played the more we exposed our own failings. Really enjoyed the first half, which was closely contested and felt we shaded it.

The more we dominated the second, and failed to score despite having nearly all the possession, just left me thinking we're simply not good enough. I wouldn't have minded losing but for the fact that we had so much play in their final third and still couldn't find the net.

Very disappointing result, we deserved the point the penalty would have given us. Ward's injury is a worry too. I would leave Sammon out on Tuesday but we may not have enough players!

We need to build for next season now. The opportunity we had by being handily placed at the beginning of January has now been p*ssed away by the owners / board not backing Clough with the money for decent signings in the January window. Whatever happens to the manager we'll never get promoted under these owners / board without a massive amount of luck!

The good position in January has been pissed away because of the bhoard not backing Clough?

I thought it was down to poor defending against Wednesday (2points lost)

Poor defending against Hull (1 point lost)

Lack of effort and energy against Wolves (2 points dropped)

Poor defending from Keogh who let Vydra get run and run without closing hiim down and a bit of bad luck when the corner hit there man and went in, against watford (1/3 points dropped they were there for beating)

Thats 6  or 8 points dropped in the past few  games that would have put us in the play-off spots without even talking about the points we dropped last night

I don't get it sometimes. The other week v Bolton it looked full. The odd pocket here and there but I was expecting to hear 25/26k

Tonight looked dead compared to that?

When the attendance was announced i looked around and thought there must be a lot of people who have gone to the bog.

We need to build for next season now. 

Without getting the razor blade out too much, are we safe this season yet?

8 points clear with a good goal difference, home form which has been our only source of points for the majority of the season has now gone to rat ****, 2 tough away games coming up followed by the annual loss at home against Leicester.. 

The form of the bottom clubs is quite alarming. 

I love watching a good performance but I've seen it too many times recently. We need to start grinding out points or we will find ourselves down there. It'll be a real shame if we end up fighting for survival. 

The good position in January has been pissed away because of the bhoard not backing Clough?

Poor defending from Keogh who let Vydra get run and run without closing hiim down and a bit of bad luck when the corner hit there man and went in, against watford (1/3 points dropped they were there for beating)

Thats 6  or 8 points dropped in the past few  games that would have put us in the play-off spots without even talking about the points we dropped last night

Fair comment, you haven't answered whom do you attribute the above collective failings to though if it's not the board?

You said people who don't understand football (Rush has been around the game for years), an unambitious manager (what does that mean? that he doesn't want to win games?) and talentless players. CLearly that's all codswallop.

We got edged out by a promotion chasing team with one or two players who can hurt you on the break. I'm choked, but I'm not stressing about it. I'll be renewing next week. Come on you Rams.

When i talk about people not understanding football i am talking about the americans. If they were interested in the football side of things then clough would have been dismissed by now. If clough had any ambitions above being home in time for tea then he would have left by now due to lack of backing.

No one at the club ever talks about where exactly we are supposed to be going.

I don't agree with you that we have a talented team but football is about opinions so we will have to disagree about that, i have no expectation that under this manager and while run by the current owners that Derby will be promoted to the prem. It may be that clough's contractual targets are to develop players who can be sold to raise money for the shareholders, with a small amount of the fees returned to manager to fund further development of young players etc... we will never know because no-one at the club ever says anything that would be indicative of what is really going on.

You will renew and i have stopped going so we wait...........and wait... to see who has made the right decision.

I don't know if people are blaming clough or the board for yesterday, but for gods sake!

The only reason we lost that game yesterday was speroni. That's it. He saved EVERYTHING. Nigel set up to attack, the defence was fine but speroni was equal to everything.

When i talk about people not understanding football i am talking about the americans. If they were interested in the football side of things then clough would have been dismissed by now. If clough had any ambitions above being home in time for tea then he would have left by now due to lack of backing.

No one at the club ever talks about where exactly we are supposed to be going.

I don't agree with you that we have a talented team but football is about opinions so we will have to disagree about that, i have no expectation that under this manager and while run by the current owners that Derby will be promoted to the prem. It may be that clough's contractual targets are to develop players who can be sold to raise money for the shareholders, with a small amount of the fees returned to manager to fund further development of young players etc... we will never know because no-one at the club ever says anything that would be indicative of what is really going on.

You will renew and i have stopped going so we wait...........and wait... to see who has made the right decision.

We'll wait and see who's right about the team/manager/owners etc, but I ENJOY going to PP, I've been royally entertained most games this season, and I support my club and the team win or lose, thick or thin. Even if you're right about the politics, the right decision for me and thousands of others is to go to the games. It's kind of the point of being a football fan. 

Is anyone else sick of Coutts poor crossing? More than half never beat the first man and almost all the ones that do are weak, aimed at the front post on the ground, not in front of goal. The exception (about 5%) are Okay/good. The example from last night would be the cross that Jacobs met with a volley. 

Fair comment, you haven't answered whom do you attribute the above collective failings to though if it's not the board?

the board don't defend on the pitch. Its the same players for the most part who had the good form earlier so are capable of doing better. Its a combination of players and manager and tactics

Yes, but against make shift defences for most of those games. Our RB playing as a centre half, and two free players as full backs. Or a Ben Davies at RB and the LB. Even Buxton, how little did he cost? And Roberts? The only other pricey defender we've got is out injured. So no, imo it is because the board don't back him.

Archived