Derby County v Crystal Palace

davenportram

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or anyone remember the Derby Soton penalty shootout..

9 were taken, 5 from Soton and 4 from Derby.. 7 were scored.. 3 from Soton and all 4 from Derby.

Every penalty that hit the target went in.. I don't remeber the GK's getting anywhere near the penalties.. I don't even think any of them guessed correctly..

Of the penalties if you watch again Barnes and McEverly take excellent penalties but D.Jones peno was poor... He only scored because the GK guessed the wrong way.. Had he stayed down the middle or dived the right way he would have had it.

It's all about his confidence though the whole crowd was screaming for Sammon not to take it. But he was the nominated man and he took the safest option. It was saved. Nothing you can do about it. It's not like that was our only chance.

No, but it was our best one and I'd rather have had someone take it who hadn't had a shocker, whose confidence wasn't shagged and who had more about him than to take the "safest option".

Ffs I think we were unlucky. Sammon didn't play well but i've seen far worse penalties taken by england players in euro and world cup finals. The goalie saved it and it hit the bar. Why aren't we slating Baryford for hitting the bar? Credit to sammon for stepping up to take the task on. Anyway i've said enough i'm off to the drunk thread.

An early strike from Yannick Bolasie secured Crystal Palace a 1-0 victory over Derby, who missed a late penalty at Pride Park.

The pacey winger clinically scored the game's only goal for the promotion hopefuls, who looked good value for the three points until captain Mile Jedinak fouled substitute Ben Davies in the penalty area with three minutes remaining.

However, Sammon's powerful spot-kick was brilliantly deflected onto the bar by the Argentinian shot-stopper to consign Nigel Clough's side to a first home defeat of 2013.

The returning Wilfred Zaha had to wait just five minutes for his first opportunity - a long ball upfield was flicked on by Glenn Murray and Zaha's change of pace allowed him to sear in behind the Derby backline, only to then shoot straight at Adam Legzdins.

The breakthrough came in the 13th minute in freak circumstances. Eagles skipper Jedinak won a thunderous challenge inside his own half and the ball went flying up field to Bolasie, who took full advantage of Derby's AWOL backline to coolly round the keeper and fire home.

Palace might have had a second three minutes later when Jedinak's 25-yard thunderbolt cannoned off the crossbar, while at the other end only the excellent Damien Delaney's last-ditch challenge prevented Sammon going clean through on goal.

Derby began to play their way into the game; Jamie Ward had a volleyed effort parried behind by Speroni, before John Brayford's low cross was only half-cleared to Craig Bryson, who shot straight at the veteran keeper.

Sammon should have levelled seven minutes after the break when Chris Martin's clever overhead kick played Michael Jacobs in down the left channel and the substitute squared to the Irishman, only for Speroni to smother his effort after the former Wigan forward hesitated.

Legzdins did well to deny the visitors a second goal after 65 minutes when he brilliantly tipped Jonathan Williams' 20-yard effort over the bar, after the substitute had gone on a dazzling run from the halfway line.

Derby were enjoying the better of the second half, but when the ball dropped to Jacobs unmarked 12 yards out he wastefully dragged his volley wide.

The hosts were struggling to fashion clear-cut opportunities, but Speroni had to be alert to push away Richard Keogh's low drive from the edge of the box, before Sammon's penalty woe capped a miserable night for the home fans.

From sky sports. Shocking reporting and clearly biased towards palace. I'm not being bitter but they were the second best side on the night.

First problem: Zaha had one chance all night (the one mentioned) he wouldn't oh had that if keogh wasn't just watching the ball roll towards him.

Second problem: palace never looked good value for the 3 points.

Third: Jacobs didnt wastefully miss the volley it was inches wide and a difficult chance for any player at this level to put away.

Fourth: sammons great chance that was smothered by speroni wouldn't have gone in if the ball fell to messi. He was all over the ball. Jacobs should of had a shot but fumbled and slowly squared the ball towards Sammon with the keeper right next to him. Sammon was unlucky. He didnt even hesitate he hit it first time!!

Where was this reporter sat in the ******* toilets.

Ffs I think we were unlucky. Sammon didn't play well but i've seen far worse penalties taken by england players in euro and world cup finals. The goalie saved it and it hit the bar. Why aren't we slating Baryford for hitting the bar? Credit to sammon for stepping up to take the task on. Anyway i've said enough i'm off to the drunk thread.

That shot was tipped onto the bar.

No, but it was our best one and I'd rather have had someone take it who hadn't had a shocker, whose confidence wasn't shagged and who had more about him than to take the "safest option".

Well then moan at clough. It's a good save at the end of the day, penalties are all about luck something Sammon hasn't had a lot of in a derby shirt.

Its about technique too.

Players who put penalties down the middle are gambling on the keeper getting out of the way.

Well then moan at clough. It's a good save at the end of the day, penalties are all about luck something Sammon hasn't had a lot of in a derby shirt.

Sorry Franco, they are not all about luck at all. There is a degree of luck, but as a penalty taker you can minimise that substantially. If they were all about luck, you'd get a lot more saved than are.

Sorry Franco, they are not all about luck at all. There is a degree of luck, but as a penalty taker you can minimise that substantially. If they were all about luck, you'd get a lot more saved than are.

I agree but penalties that go straight down the middle are more luck than technique. Sorry if I've not worded that right.

An early strike from Yannick Bolasie secured Crystal Palace a 1-0 victory over Derby, who missed a late penalty at Pride Park.

The pacey winger clinically scored the game's only goal for the promotion hopefuls, who looked good value for the three points until captain Mile Jedinak fouled substitute Ben Davies in the penalty area with three minutes remaining.

However, Sammon's powerful spot-kick was brilliantly deflected onto the bar by the Argentinian shot-stopper to consign Nigel Clough's side to a first home defeat of 2013.

The returning Wilfred Zaha had to wait just five minutes for his first opportunity - a long ball upfield was flicked on by Glenn Murray and Zaha's change of pace allowed him to sear in behind the Derby backline, only to then shoot straight at Adam Legzdins.

The breakthrough came in the 13th minute in freak circumstances. Eagles skipper Jedinak won a thunderous challenge inside his own half and the ball went flying up field to Bolasie, who took full advantage of Derby's AWOL backline to coolly round the keeper and fire home.

Palace might have had a second three minutes later when Jedinak's 25-yard thunderbolt cannoned off the crossbar, while at the other end only the excellent Damien Delaney's last-ditch challenge prevented Sammon going clean through on goal.

Derby began to play their way into the game; Jamie Ward had a volleyed effort parried behind by Speroni, before John Brayford's low cross was only half-cleared to Craig Bryson, who shot straight at the veteran keeper.

Sammon should have levelled seven minutes after the break when Chris Martin's clever overhead kick played Michael Jacobs in down the left channel and the substitute squared to the Irishman, only for Speroni to smother his effort after the former Wigan forward hesitated.

Legzdins did well to deny the visitors a second goal after 65 minutes when he brilliantly tipped Jonathan Williams' 20-yard effort over the bar, after the substitute had gone on a dazzling run from the halfway line.

Derby were enjoying the better of the second half, but when the ball dropped to Jacobs unmarked 12 yards out he wastefully dragged his volley wide.

The hosts were struggling to fashion clear-cut opportunities, but Speroni had to be alert to push away Richard Keogh's low drive from the edge of the box, before Sammon's penalty woe capped a miserable night for the home fans.

From sky sports. Shocking reporting and clearly biased towards palace. I'm not being bitter but they were the second best side on the night.

First problem: Zaha had one chance all night (the one mentioned) he wouldn't oh had that if keogh wasn't just watching the ball roll towards him.

Second problem: palace never looked good value for the 3 points.

Third: Jacobs didnt wastefully miss the volley it was inches wide and a difficult chance for any player at this level to put away.

Fourth: sammons great chance that was smothered by speroni wouldn't have gone in if the ball fell to messi. He was all over the ball. Jacobs should of had a shot but fumbled and slowly squared the ball towards Sammon with the keeper right next to him. Sammon was unlucky. He didnt even hesitate he hit it first time!!

Where was this reporter sat in the ******* toilets.

Glad they mentioned Zaha. I'd forgot he played. Good old media, he owes them some of his signing on fee really doesn't he? Only fair.

Zaha only had to wait 5 minutes for his first and last touch of the ball when he passed it to Legzdins. Closer to the truth that. Wasn't any good last time we played them either. Except they scored from his beautiful pinpoint cross. It was corner ffs!

Unplayable...... For 10 games in 46

If as a professional footballer he doesn't trust himself to put the ball in the corner of the goal from 12 yards out with no defenders, that doesn't say much about him or the manager's decision to have him as a nominated taker

If penalties were that simple to take then all the players would be demanding the ball, and players like Rooney would never miss. The time when they are really simple to take of course are from your seat in the crowd.

'Penalties are all about luck' is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here. Havent even seen the penno so got no idea whether it was half decent or not, but every professional footballer who steps forward to take a penalty should be scoring. Not saying it's easy with the pressure of thousands of people on you, but if you cant handle it then dont step forward to take it.

If you put a penalty into the side of the net with sufficient pace, the keeper doesnt save it, no keeper in the world saves it. There's no 'luck' about it. If you decide to smash it down the middle, you're not backing yourself to put it out of the reach of the keeper.

Archived