Derby County v Crystal Palace

davenportram

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had it with him. (Sammon)

But is it really his fault? Not really.. Clough signed him.

Knew he was going to miss, was actually laughing when he went up to take it.

I'm more pissed off about Wardy getting injured.. AGAIN. He's a fantastic player but he's always bloody injured.

which is why i think Jacobs will replace him as our wide man and Wards contract will not be renewed. Might even see a new wide man in in the summer and ward go (Clough hinted post match that we are looking at a striker and possibly a wide man too on loan)

No one booed where I was, just a sense of disbelief when he picked ball up, having missed another easy chance mins earlier it was a silly choice.

Same where I was, didn't hear booing, just silence and incredulity, followed by a sense of resignation, I never trust a penalty taker who takes a two step run up

I genuinely feel very sorry for Sammon. He's had a shocker tonight but booing him BEFORE he's taken the penalty is disgraceful. I was absolutely livid at full time, couldn't believe he'd missed it, but I knew missing a penalty is really 50/50, happens to the best of players. He just can't win and needs a rest from the team.

I think Mr Graham Alexander would disagree with that.. The guy went something like 40 successful penatlies in a row..

I genuinely feel very sorry for Sammon. He's had a shocker tonight but booing him BEFORE he's taken the penalty is disgraceful. I was absolutely livid at full time, couldn't believe he'd missed it, but I knew missing a penalty is really 50/50, happens to the best of players. He just can't win and needs a rest from the team.

You can increase the odds of scoring by not smacking it at the keeper. If it had been in the corner and speroni had pulled off an amazing save, fair enough, but the peno was pretty much straight at him

You can increase the odds of scoring by not smacking it at the keeper. If it had been in the corner and speroni had pulled off an amazing save, fair enough, but the peno was pretty much straight at him

a bit like wards would gave been of watfords keeper had stood his ground

I remember watching the shootout with Germany in Italia 90. the commentator said keepers should delay diving until the ball is hit because at least one will be hit straight down the middle.

its true - how many penalties do you see down the middle. The ones that are saved are the ones where the keeper delays and reacts to the shot rather than guessing.

Ratings:

Lego 5 positioning questionable for goal, and almost made the same mistake again, other than that, little to do

Roberts 7 may well wake up to find Zaha still in his pocket

Keogh 7 handled Murray easily

Bucko 6 did well, got dragged out of position once or twice

Brayford 8 our most potent attacking threat, unlucky not to score

Coutts 6 busy but sometimes too slow in releasing the ball and holds up moves

Bryson 6 up and down the pitch constantly

Hendrick 6 struggled to get into the game but got better as it went on

Ward 5 never in the right place in the right time, injured again

Sammon 4 huff and puff but no quality, missed penalty

Martin 7 good touch and looked quality, sadly no-one was on the end of his flicks most of the time

Subs:

Jacobs 6 tried to force the pace, had great chance to shoot but passed to Sammon instead?

Bennett on too late to influence

I remember watching the shootout with Germany in Italia 90. the commentator said keepers should delay diving until the ball is hit because at least one will be hit straight down the middle.

its true - how many penalties do you see down the middle. The ones that are saved are the ones where the keeper delays and reacts to the shot rather than guessing.

If you and I think or some great penalty takers down the years we'd probably come up with different ones, but how many shot down the middle? Yes ward got lucky against Watford and Sammon didn't tonight, but as I said you increase your chances of scoring if you don't shoot where the keeper is standing

we played really well today. No luck whatsoever and poor finishing. People booing Sammon before he took the penalty and after make me ashamed to be a Derby fan.

I never heard anyone booing. Then again, I'm deaf.

If you and I think or some great penalty takers down the years we'd probably come up with different ones, but how many shot down the middle? Yes ward got lucky against Watford and Sammon didn't tonight, but as I said you increase your chances of scoring if you don't shoot where the keeper is standing

le tissier did and so does RVP and some others at the moment too. It seems the mottos is smash hard down the middle because keepers always dive

Another point. SAMMON and Martin both won headers that were flicked across the face of goal. We had plenty of players in the box but nobody was following it in. WHY?!?!?!?!?

Same goes for brayford's shot, speroni saves, ball rolls across the goal around three yards and no derby player anywhere near it to tap in

A penalty that goes straight is a player banking on the keeper to dive. Commons' penalties is a prime example. I don't think Sammon would trust himself to aim for a corner in fear of missing the target, which is all you can do. Hit the target and hope the keeper goes the wrong way. Sadly he didn't.

Speroni had a great game.

Tosser.

I thought it was a terrific game, enjoyed the whole 90 minutes, gripping end to end stuff.

We played nice football, Martin reminds me of Ashley Ward, he wins the ball a lot. Sammon bust a gut, but everything fell for them.

I'm not dispirited at all, we were the better team against a really good side. I'm not downhearted at all, just a bit miffed that the season is going nowhere, next season is gonna be great and the atmosphere will improve as loads have moved to south stand.

Brayford was immense!!!

A penalty that goes straight is a player banking on the keeper to dive. Commons' penalties is a prime example. I don't think Sammon would trust himself to aim for a corner in fear of missing the target, which is all you can do. Hit the target and hope the keeper goes the wrong way. Sadly he didn't.

Speroni had a great game.

Tosser.

If as a professional footballer he doesn't trust himself to put the ball in the corner of the goal from 12 yards out with no defenders, that doesn't say much about him or the manager's decision to have him as a nominated taker

I think the idea for GKs is to guess one way but leave their legs traling so should the striker go down the middle they have a chance of blocking it with their legs..

I think the most unsavable penalties are high down the middle.. The David Luiz or Lampard penalties that are hit with such power and just under the crossbar are unsavable.. Sammon could have been trying that?

I think penatlies are all about guessing.. I disagree with the notion it's 50/50.. If you hit the ball to the side, it's roughly 50/50 that the GK will guess that way.. Should the GK guess correctly it all depends on how well you've struck the penalty.. I think you've defintitly got around an 80% chance of scoring should you aim for either corner.. In a penatly shootout of any 5 penalties that are on target and to one side I'd expect at least 4 of them to go in..

You only have to look at the Italy/England penalty shootout.. 10 penatlies were struck, 7 went in.. 1 went over, 1 went wide and Pirlo went down the middle.. Buffon only saved 1 and Hart 0.. Of the 10 penalties, 6 were on target and to either side, of which 5 went in..

If as a professional footballer he doesn't trust himself to put the ball in the corner of the goal from 12 yards out with no defenders, that doesn't say much about him or the manager's decision to have him as a nominated taker

It's all about his confidence though the whole crowd was screaming for Sammon not to take it. But he was the nominated man and he took the safest option. It was saved. Nothing you can do about it. It's not like that was our only chance.

Archived