Player of the season so far - I think it is a difficult one

ChaddesdenRam

It's a difficult one, and at various times this season we've had spells of impressive play from Keogh, Brayford, Hendrick, Bryson, Ward and Hughes - even Theo. However I think for sheer guts, doggedness and determination I'd be inclined to vote for 'Old Reliable' Jake Buxton.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also be tempted to vote Buxton.

I know he's been out for a few weeks and I know we have much better and more 'thoughtful' players than him but he plays with Derby County pride and sheer determination every bloody time he's called upon. I feel a lot calmer knowing he's there most if not all of the time.

One Jake Buxton, there's only one Jake Buxton....

As an oldie, I'm occasionally thinking back to the great days and wondering whether we would ever see a new Roy McFarland or a new Archie Gemmill.

Well, in Jake Buxton I think we've got the new Peter Daniel - a man who filled Roy Mac's boots for one glorious season.

Interesting that both Keogh and Buxton have received support yet I feel that we have overall looked weaker through the centre of defence than we did last season. As a partnership, I never feel they work well together. It's always one of them having to do something last ditch, rather than coping through good positioning and calling.

One of them needs replacing next year or we'll struggle again. Ward would get my vote as POTY, though Hendrick has matured well (yesterday was, I hope, a glitch).

As an oldie, I'm occasionally thinking back to the great days and wondering whether we would ever see a new Roy McFarland or a new Archie Gemmill.

Well, in Jake Buxton I think we've got the new Peter Daniel - a man who filled Roy Mac's boots for one glorious season.

Nice one eddie, I have only seen footage of Peter but I've just had a quick read..... 14 years at Derby  :blink:

Born in Ripley and a big rams fan? If you're reading Peter, well done mate!

I hope it doesn't go to a CB. They've cost us lots of soft goals.

Fielding - nope, lost his place

Legzdins - had a few slip ups but not been too bad. Perhaps not POTY though eh?

Brayford - Why not? There's a good few crosses he should of stopped that led to goals but he's done way more good than bad

Keogh - Have you seen some of his marking? If the ball is there to be won he can be great. Often though he's lost his man and the chance to prevent a goal has gone.

Buxton - Same as Keogh. And at Palace Away I honestly thought he had a fiver on Palace.

Roberts - doesn't get much help and has been battered a few times. Not really all his fault but there it is. Had less moments than the CBs

Coutts - patchy form. Confident player, decent ball player but perhaps not suited to RM. especially without the legs of Brayford.

Bryson - when Hendrick was pooh before Christmas he was involved in the nice football. Been lightweight and unfit lately

Hendrick - did we sign him in January? Carried us at times since then. Did he do anything of note before Christmas?

Hughes - Class. But began to look subdued pretty much straight after the display of the season v Leeds

Ward - a few too many injuries. Been fairly good but as always he's never consistently his very best (or he'd be gone) decent shout but he's had way more quiet games than anybody else apart from Hendrick who turned up in January

Sammon - no.

I only see Brayford and Ward as the most faultless. Brayford has been more consistent.

But then last year Hendrick and Bryson chased shadows all year. We never controlled games. Shackell was fairly solid if a bit poor on the ball yet Bryson won POTY.

I tried to use my vote tactically last season.

Bryson was my player of the year but I voted shackell because I thought if he won player of the season he wouldn't leave. I was clutching on loose ends there but that was why I voted for him last season.

Tempted to vote Ward so he signs a new contract even Keogh has been player of the season.

I'm with Alpha on the Keogh front, he was fantastic last night I thought but that's the best he's played this side of Christmas. He costs us too many goals, especially away from home. For his height he's poor at defending crosses from behind or the side, if it's hopeless punts straight at him he can manage, anything else and he's well below par. 

I like his enthusiasm and I love seeing the 30 yard jockeying and slide tackles that win the ball but he's not as good as I hoped he would be. Hopefully this is down to not having a regular partner of any sort of NPC quality. If we can get the right man next to him for next season then I reckon he'll be better. 

As it stands, he's one of the main reasons why we are so poor defensively. 

Stop the crosses coming in Keogh has been overworked Alpha. He's ever present without him I don't know where we would be. Buxton Freeman Roberts Obrien Hoggy and my favourite player Barker have been injured. Naylor on loan and Gjoka not tried much. Ps My favourite player is Hendrick I forgot. Brian Clough used to say you defend as a team ie attackers and midfield help out. One of the gripes Nigel has with Jacobs is he doesn't track back.

Arthur Cox did too.

He also said something else which people ought to bear in mind regarding all the rubbish and rumours that people post on here regarding <insert player name here>...

"Pure journalistic speculation".

Archived