Derby County fan guilty of racially abusing Nathan Tyson and Marlon King

DcFc Dyycheee

Adam Smith, 34, of Merrill Way, Allenton, was heard by other fans abusing Derby's Nathan Tyson and Birmingham City striker Marlon King.

He denied two charges of racially aggravated, abusive and threatening behaviour during the November game.

Derby magistrates said there was "a compelling account" of the racist incident from three witnesses.

The court was told three fans sitting in front of Smith heard him shout racist insults at the players.

Several people who attended the game with Smith said he had not said anything about the players.

Derbyshire Police said: "Neither the police nor Derby County FC will tolerate any racist behaviour or abuse at Pride Park.

"This sort of behaviour is not acceptable at the ground or indeed anywhere."

Smith will be sentenced on 4 March and will also face a football banning order.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly this case was decided by the judge on the balance of probabilities, the 3 people whom reported the incident to the police were all friends, whilst the defendant offered a coach load of witnesses to say that he had not uttered any racist remarks.....makes me afraid of the British judicial system quite honestly

Interestingly this case was decided by the judge on the balance of probabilities, the 3 people whom reported the incident to the police were all friends, whilst the defendant offered a coach load of witnesses to say that he had not uttered any racist remarks.....makes me afraid of the British judicial system quite honestly

And the probability is that three friends would not concoct or fabricate such a story. We weren't in court so we have to conclude that the evedience was comppelling on the behalf our courageous witnesses and fellow supporters.

Their actions have to be commended, it would have been far easier to turn the other cheek and allow scum such as this escape without punishment. There is no place for racist behaviour such as this either inside or outside a football stadium.

Anybody defending his actions, no matter how veiled, is equally as guilty as Smith in my eyes.

Hoefully his sentence will suitably fit the crime.

I read the report as his friends said he didn't say anything, the 3 people in front weren't connected?

I read the report as his friends said he didn't say anything, the 3 people in front weren't connected?

My information was that the 3 people whom reported him were all friends, so therefore could hardly be classified as independent witnesses if they all knew each other - if 3 totally unrelated people made the allegations then I would agree that the balance of probabilities would say that they guy did say racist remarks.

Why should he be named if he hasn't been found guilty.

He could get off, but he will still be called a racist.

And i bet the 3 that accused him, won't get their name in the papers.

He has been found guilty hasn't he? Therefore he is a racist!!

I hope the people condemning him have never uttered a racist comment or judged people by their looks, colour, etc.

We're all guilty of it to some degree.

Black people are racist to white, it happens everywhere. Not saying is right, but

Let him without sin cast the first stone.

I hope the people condemning him have never uttered a racist comment or judged people by their looks, colour, etc.

We're all guilty of it to some degree.

Black people are racist to white, it happens everywhere. Not saying is right, but

Let him without sin cast the first stone.

No one’s perfect…but now we all know that if we come out with stupid racist crap at PP then there’s a reasonable chance we might get prosecuted.

Will the referees now be prosecuting all who abuse them? "5000 fans shouting you're not fit to referee"

The chunky people who are taunted with "you fat b*stard" or is all that OK?

I believe the official ruling, as advocated by the law of the land, is that as long as the abuse is aimed at a white male then it is ok. Any other form of abuse will be found to be discriminatory.

Archived