One or two loans.

sage

CB and ST.

Stop knocking Groberto Carlos. You could cut his right leg off, shrink him by 3 inches, blindfold him and send him out there with no boots on.... He'd still be better than Moxey and Jay Mac.

Moxey was a better striker than a bloody LB at Derby!

Arthur Scargill was a better striker than Moxey was a Left Back at Derby.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd still be better than Moxey and Jay Mac.

That's irrelevant. If you look at Derby County's team and say where does the squad need improving, surely everyone agrees our left back is our worst player (irrespective of how good he has been this year) and that if Barker never becomes the Shaun Barker we knew we need a new CB to partner Keogh.

Who doesn't agree??? I cant see any positions on the pitch that need improving more than LB and CB.

Granted my third improvement would be a ST but I think Derby would benefit more from a better left back and another Barker/Shackell/Keogh to partner Keogh.

No, I do agree that we are perhaps needing to improve at LB now.

Just that our CBs right now can't mark any striker that can move faster than Andy Reid. They don't like anything moving unless its jumping on the spot for a header.

Then, would you bet a months wages that Sammon and Theo can both control a bouncing ball 10 times on the trot between them? I wouldn't trust either of them to control a lead weight with my money. I'm sure there's better out there?

The problems we have now are good problems. If a decent LB like Roberts is on our 'replace' list then we must be a little better than decent eh? Get your Old Trafford tickets booked for 2014/15 season...

..... FA Cup 4th round innit

We just need a partnership at centre half. One that instinctively works to cover when his partner is out of position or has induced his forward to push the ball beyond him. This requires footballing intelligence. Good defending is all about positional sense. Bobby Moore had no great pace and neither did Jackie Charlton. Yet they knew each other's game inside out and few got past them. Our greatest problem is positioning when defending a cross. You have to get between the ball and your forward and hold your position. We haven't managed this. Who is our defensive coach?

A lot of you saying we're desperate for a new striker, who makes way guys? Ward or Sammon?

I cant get my head round the fact that derby fans would improve the striking position and spend more there in the summer market instead of getting a quality lb and cb.

We score enough goals we just concede too many. Away from home it was so blatantly clear all season the only thing holding us back was 451. If we had played 442 away at places like Wolves, Bolton, Peterborough, Burnley yes we may have conceded the same amount of goals...... but at least we would have scored.

The away games I have been too:

Bolton 451 didnt score

Peterborough 451 didnt score

Burnley 451 didnt score

Huddersfield 451 didnt score

Charlton 442 we scored

Sheffield Wednesday 442 we scored

Can somebody remind me how you win football games i thought the aim was to score more goals than the opposition. In this division it is much more prudent to attack teams and put pressure on. People can say oh we played 451 at Nottingham and Bristol and won. Forest there was a red card which won the game (as cynical as i sounds) and bristol were dire.

So my point is:

• play 442 away - to score goals
  • sign a lb and cb - to concede less and hold on to those leads
  • home form - hopefully will be similar next season

i think the forest win was as much down to the tempo of our play as to the formation.

(not sure if that supports your theory, shabash or not)

The forest game was anomalous all round to be honest we can just discount that because tactics etc arent as important. My point was just for the whole of the season so far as a learning curve for the team and how they can improve.

The forest game was anomalous all round to be honest we can just discount that because tactics etc arent as important. My point was just for the whole of the season so far as a learning curve for the team and how they can improve.

i think you may be right

imo clough is rather cautious by instinct but i'm sure he realises at this state in the proceedings we may as well have a go in away games.

Keogh hasn't been done for pace by many this season.

No, I mean via movement. We've conceded sloppy goals this year. Most years we've been good at defending.... we've just had to do too much of it. If we had to withstand that pressure now I don't think we'd win many. It's a good job we can play a bit!

I cant get my head round the fact that derby fans would improve the striking position and spend more there in the summer market instead of getting a quality lb and cb.

We score enough goals we just concede too many. Away from home it was so blatantly clear all season the only thing holding us back was 451. If we had played 442 away at places like Wolves, Bolton, Peterborough, Burnley yes we may have conceded the same amount of goals...... but at least we would have scored.

The away games I have been too:

Bolton 451 didnt score

Peterborough 451 didnt score

Burnley 451 didnt score

Huddersfield 451 didnt score

Charlton 442 we scored

Sheffield Wednesday 442 we scored

Can somebody remind me how you win football games i thought the aim was to score more goals than the opposition. In this division it is much more prudent to attack teams and put pressure on. People can say oh we played 451 at Nottingham and Bristol and won. Forest there was a red card which won the game (as cynical as i sounds) and bristol were dire.

So my point is:

• play 442 away - to score goals
  • sign a lb and cb - to concede less and hold on to those leads
  • home form - hopefully will be similar next season

We played 4-4-2 at Lesta and got dicked on until we changed to 4-5-1 we then controlled the game.

At the end of the day the formation isn't the be all and end all of how we play it is the players mentality. We could have 4 strikers on the pitch but if you are sitting back, being cautious not to concede than what difference would the 4 strikers make? (Exaggeration I know but the point stands)

Four

Three

Three

Lego

Robbo Buxton Keogh Brayf

Hendrick Bryson. Hughes

Wardie

Sammon. Newbie.

Wardie in the hole.

So could be a 4312

This would be interesting, if we had Brayford and a new LB bombing on to give us the required width then it could work. The midfield three have some work to do in figuring out who sits and who supports the strikers from what i've seen. A goalscorer up top with Sammon and we'd have no problem scoring. Maybe this is the natural evolution of our side for next season...

Archived