I'm vaguely curious

Albert

I love the fact that we have many foreign fans!

We have a big fan base in Norway, (I know a few of them - good guys). Up until a few weeks ago Norway only had one tv channel and back in the 70's they broadcast English football (we were good back then).

Im based abroad at the moment - only been to one game this season (birmingham) I miss it, and so does my teenage daughter.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always read the whole of Albert's posts. I don't always understand what you're going on about pal, but it's interesting none the less. To me, he doesn't come across as somebody who is absolutely sure about himself, he just loves a good debate. Unlike another overseas poster, he isn't banging on his chest repeating the same mundane posts over and over again.

I love the stats n'all, more please!

As a fan that now lives outside the 12 miles boundary, ramsplayer is all I've got. I reckon I see more of the game than I would if I was at the match, but it hasn't got the same feel about it. In regards to the game though, you see more. Football it's always about the fan experience, being at the ground, it's just the best way.

I love the fact that we have many foreign fans!

We have a big fan base in Norway, (I know a few of them - good guys). Up until a few weeks ago Norway only had one tv channel and back in the 70's they broadcast English football (we were good back then).

Im based abroad at the moment - only been to one game this season (birmingham) I miss it, and so does my teenage daughter.

One channel untill a few weeks ago. How lucky they haven't had to watch endless repeats through the week and only fools and horses every day for the last ten years.

One channel untill a few weeks ago. How lucky they haven't had to watch endless repeats through the week and only fools and horses every day for the last ten years.

One Norwegian channel I expect, they're exposed to the same American drivel we get. As are most countries these days.

Your point about not supporting England made me think. I'm by no stretch an England fan (if i'm honest, I dislike most of the players with a a passion) but I still feel compelled to watch their games on TV. I've never been to an England match...not even the Mexico game at PP when Becks had that ridiculous haircut...But, I still feel my opinion is valid. It's exactly the same as your position, when you've invested emotion and time into something, you can form an honest opinion....(whether it's true or not is another matter 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> )

Your point about not supporting England made me think. I'm by no stretch an England fan (if i'm honest, I dislike most of the players with a a passion) but I still feel compelled to watch their games on TV. I've never been to an England match...not even the Mexico game at PP when Becks had that ridiculous haircut...But, I still feel my opinion is valid. It's exactly the same as your position, when you've invested emotion and time into something, you can form an honest opinion....(whether it's true or not is another matter 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> )

Are you english?

Albert, I was born in the centre of Derby, moved to the outskirts when I was 7, moved away when I was 18 and have never lived within the city since. I have been lucky though that I have never lived more than 2 hours away from either the BBG or PP by car and have still managed to have a career despite living all over the UK. So I have watched the Rams home and away for almost 50 years and have been a season ticket holder for most of those years. I have seen some ups and downs, some good teams and bad, some wonderful players and some not so good and I have seen the whole football 'industry' change out of all recognition, and not, in my view, for the better.

However if I have learnt one thing it is that football generates strong opinions about teams, the game itself, players, tactics, clubs and all the rest of it. And part of that is that everyone is entitled to their own views. So I don't give a fig where you live, or where anyone else on this forum lives; I don't mind what your views are or whether you are physically able to watch the Rams live or not. All that matters to me is that you love the team and club that I love and that you care about what happens to us. And you clearly do. That I am lucky enough to be able to go (now with my son) is my good fortune. That you cannot go, is your bad luck, I think!

Albert - your point about England is interesting

A few years ago I spent some time researching my famly tree. I have always liked to travel and sort of assumed that my gene pool must contain some sort of exotic mix. Sadly, I found that with the exception of a branch from Lincoln, my family has resided in Codnor since at least 1649. I have no known forbear born outside England and 95% of my ancestors were born in Derbyshire. I'm not sure that anyone could actually have more conection with England. Up until a few years ago I used to watch every single England match. Recently I just can't work up the enthusiasm. I feel absolutely no passion for the national side.

On Wednesday I watched the Ireland v Poland game because of the Ram's players involved. I can't quite tell you why I have lost all interest in England, but I suspect that it may stem from my lack of interest in the Premier League whilst DCFC are not invloved in it. I dare say that when Will (I watched the U21s on Tuesday) pulls on his full England jersey that I'll take an interest again. I hate watching football as a neutral - and I feel like a neutral when watching England play.

The live v TV thing is particularly interesting for me. I've just returned to Derby after living in Cornwall for eleven years. Before that I worked weekends. Consequently, I too spent arounf fifteen years as an armchair fan - maybe seeing three games a season live. The two ways of viewing are so different. On TV you see a lot more direct action. You get details of everything that happens on the ball. In some ways you are better placed to coment on the match than those at the game. However, live you get a better impression of the power, speed and passion of players. It adds context to the detail. I also try to watch what players do off the ball - which the camera never bothers with. Live, you always miss lots that the TV can see. You won't see the subtle hand ball at the other end, or you maybe miss the brilliant sliding tackle because of the dingbat trying to beat the half time queue.

I find it fascinating reading the views of most fans. I actually get the most bored reading the views of people that I agree with. I know what I think - I'm interested in other perspectives. So Albert, for me your opininion counts pretty highly, even if it is often at odds with mine.

I go to the games...but I think you see more on TV.

I sit in the East Stand on the 3rd row between 18 yard line and half way (towards North Stand). In that half of the pitch, my view is fantatsic.

However, towards the South Stand, the view isn't great. You can form opinions on what's going on, but I've interpreted goals/tackles/free kicks one way at the match, only to get home and realise it happened slightly differently.

Unless you sit in the upper tier on the East or West, your best overall view is probably on the box.

There are pros and cons to both, but it's more the event, seeing my family and making a weekend of it that I enjoy. I can imagine when I have children I won't be able to keep coming up from London, and could be a 10 game a season supporter, with 'the full 90' thrown in for all the others. I wouldn't particularly mind that.

Good luck to you mate. Your input from Australia is fantastic.

TobyWanKenobi

I daresay this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I'm of the belief that you should support the closest club to where you were born.

That's not to say you can't have an opinion, or that yours is less valid, merely that in my opinion you have chosen a club in a way that I deem to be the incorrect way, nothing more.

That said, I'm not really familiar with what football is like in places where there is not a major football culture. I mean, you can't really take a place too seriously, when they think Mile Sterjovski is a good footballer.

I daresay this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I'm of the belief that you should support the closest club to where you were born.

That's not to say you can't have an opinion, or that yours is less valid, merely that in my opinion you have chosen a club in a way that I deem to be the incorrect way, nothing more.

That said, I'm not really familiar with what football is like in places where there is not a major football culture. I mean, you can't really take a place too seriously, when they think Mile Sterjovski is a good footballer.

It won't be popular because it is a stupid thing to say. I was born in Derby but my son was born in Malaysia, so by your logic he should support sarawak united - please. I accept the glory fans are annoying but if someone has a genuine affection for a club the last thing they need is someone assessing the merit of their support on someting as basic as birthplace.

TobyWanKenobi

It's a good job for Sarawak United that every one of their fans does not write them off in the same manner as you isn't it?

i'd have to support forest... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

My daughter was born in Truro. Are you saying that she should support Plymouth Argyle? It is not her fault that I spent 11 years learning to surf.

I have carefully 'helped' in her sporting education from the minute she was born. She has never had a choice in her footballing allegiences. Now we're back in Derby she has a Rams season ticket. Derby County has always been her 'local' club. The suggestion that this is wrong is just ridiculous.

Archived