Falling Attendances

Rich3478

No I didn't. First time this season I really missed going to the footie. The last season I just go so disenchanted with it, by the time renewal day came around, I'd had enough. Listened to it on Radio Derby and cheered them on though.

Fair play. You've given your reasons for not renewing this season but what would make you run down to the ticket office to buy a season ticket then.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen some people comment that season ticket holders have been whittled down to the "hardcore" fan base of pre-promotion to the premier league days, or that "plastic fans" or "glory hunters" are waiting for Derby to return to the Prem before returning in their thousands.

Hmmm, not sure this is the case. I was a season ticket holder for 17 straight years and I decided to stop going this season; basically because I don't like this board and I don't like this manager. I don't want to throw any more money in their direction. Both parties have had their chance in my eyes and continually "settling" for mid table obscurity at a club capable of so much more is just not good enough in my eyes.

Chopping and changing the manager once or twice every season is no guarantee of success, but neither is persisting long term with someone who is just plain average as a manager. Why do this board persist with Clough? I expect the real reason is they won't stump up the cash to sack him and bring in a manager who might be more ambitious/demanding.

I also feel that so many fans have been "brainwashed" into accepting mid table mediocrity. This season will be mid table at best and you are happy with that? So will next season, and probably the seasons after that spreading far into the future. Yes I see the excellent kids coming through. But surely, proven quality is also needed to augment a proper promotion push?

Clough has made some decent "mid table" player signings, but none of these are good enough to push us towards the top 6. Where is his "Michu" type signing? The star he unearths that other teams wish they'd got? I can't see one to be honest.

Hughes

Hendrick

Ward

Brayford

They're all down to him. He bought or introduced them to the team. I'd guess they'd walk in to most Championship clubs.

They won't sack Clough because he's doing a decent job. There's also no other manager with his level of experience that would put up with the **** that he's had to. We're a team of decent, mid table level Championship players. We're mid table. Seems to stack up.

You say we're capable of so much more - what makes you say this? Is it because we've been so much more before? This is here and now - having a big stadium and a good fan base doesn't mean we're capable of anything. We're only capable of becoming better if we have better footballers - which needs to happen through either the academy, or recruiting externally.

I think this board have been good for Derby in so many ways - looking back to the 3 Amigos, I'll never take responsible ownership for granted again. And I never thought I'd be this person, but...

They need to make some more money available to improve the squad. Attendances will continue to decline whilst we're in the position we are (rightly or wrongly - I'm behind what's going on at the moment but lots aren't). They're going to have a strike a balance at some point between being financially responsible and getting supporters back, or risk us regularly falling below 20,000 for home games.

I don't want us to go and spend a **** load and be irresponsible. Just buy one or two quality players that will make us challenge at the top. Players that will compliment and mentor our young team.

In terms of money made, the PWYW 'pay what you want' scheme made more than their previous album that was only released as a physical CD.

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-28041214/first-results-of-radioheads-pay-what-you-want-experiment-are-in/]http://www.cbsnews.c...eriment-are-in/

Obviously the music industry is a different animal to selling tickets for a football game (i.e., there were still many people that saw fit to torrent it..) but I think that if it were to trial on a lower category game (Barnsley next season?) the results might be interesting. It would however, alienate the ST holders, PWYW season ticket?

Obviously as a season ticket holder I would only advocate it if it was being done on a trial basis to give the club some idea of what they should be setting their prices at.

So if the unthinkable happened and we went up under the current owners and manager would you be swayed?

I cannot honestly believe that would happen, but as much as I don't like them and want them out, I don't want Derby to fail just to prove a point and I'd be happy to be wrong. I don't have faith in them, but if they got us promoted, and it looked like money would be made available to have a decent crack at prem survival, yeah I reckon I'd be tempted back.

Well, I know they've got previous, so no. But if some rich sheikh bought the club and appointed someone like Nigel Adkins, then I'd be back.

Sheikh Shmeikh - we've all got our opinions but tbh that's the last thing I'd want - Not interested in all the money in the world for my club to be someone's play thing and for us to be up dawson's creek if and when they decide they've had enough.

Might be 'exciting' in the short-term but you only have to look towards the club down the road and the likes of Birmingham to see that there are major flaws to that kind of model.

Easy to think the grass is greener but what will happen to all these football clubs in 5 - 10 years time when there is something new to play with and throw money at. A lot more will go out of business, I'm pretty sure of that.

I cannot honestly believe that would happen, but as much as I don't like them and want them out, I don't want Derby to fail just to prove a point and I'd be happy to be wrong. I don't have faith in them, but if they got us promoted, and it looked like money would be made available to have a decent crack at prem survival, yeah I reckon I'd be tempted back.

Might see you in 2025 then 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Well, I know they've got previous, so no. But if some rich sheikh bought the club and appointed someone like Nigel Adkins, then I'd be back.

I respect the protest by not going to the matches but then you lost it in this post by showing signs of dellusion and being removed from reallity. Wouldn't it be far better to get somewhere based on good management a well run outfit and passion and the desire to win at football rather than throw a bottomless pit of money at it and change the manager every six months.

Not interested in all the money in the world for my club to be someone's play thing and for us to be up dawson's creek if and when they decide they've had enough.

And what happens if our lot suddenly decide they've had enough of their plaything and want their money back?

We'd be 50 million in debt, and we'd have gone through 5 1/2 years of crap for nothing.

Archived