Falling Attendances

Rich3478

Shows how the quality of our supporters has gone down then! Pride Park against Forest was full of part time supporters, shouting "Nigel out" at Half Time

Stop trolling or piss off.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the club needs to stop the rot by looking after its season ticket holders first. That is what the club has lost a lot of over the past few years. They ought to offer season ticket holders a loyalty discount. A bit simalar to a no claims discount which you have in insurance.

we are on a par with how many season ticket holders we had when Peter Gadsby saved us from the 3 amigos - incidentally that was the last season ticket prices went up until this season. I think they have been looking after us really. A Cat D season ticket has gone up by £30 (10%) over the past 6 years ( cant recall inflation rates but if it was a mediocre 2% six years of that would result in an increase of 12% ( not to mention a VAT increase that they swallowed up too)

we are on a par with how many season ticket holders we had when Peter Gadsby saved us from the 3 amigos - incidentally that was the last season ticket prices went up until this season. I think they have been looking after us really. A Cat D season ticket has gone up by £30 (10%) over the past 6 years ( cant recall inflation rates but if it was a mediocre 2% six years of that would result in an increase of 12% ( not to mention a VAT increase that they swallowed up too)

So what you are saying is we are back to our hard core sth. The increase when we went up into the pl were your plastic supporters, probably the same ones that came last saturday.

Time to introduce a new acronym....

OALAEGO

(Opinions are like ********* - everyone's got one)

Aye, they are that, and some are sh1ttier than others, but we'll listen anyway.

So what you are saying is we are back to our hard core sth. The increase when we went up into the pl were your plastic supporters, probably the same ones that came last saturday.

In a word, yep.

Otherwise we'd have 33k every week wouldn't we, and we don't.

As football is marketed as a product, many "consumers" will start treating it as a brand.

If the brand is good then they'll partake. If the brand is middle of the road with no real excitement, apathy sets in and an alternative is sought - be that shopping at b&q or moving to a more successful brand like a Sky Sports subscription.

Of course, every club will retain it's dyed in the wool support, which at Derby has fluctuated between 17-22k for many years.

Treat the fans like consumers and they'll eventually become like them.

Some really interesting and valid comments on this thread ...

After watching DCFC for the first time, ask yourself what it was that made you come back for more ?

In my case (68-69 v Bolton) it was the style of football that was played at that time - it really was 'a beautiful game' that day.

In addition we won 5-1, so perhaps I was a 'glory seeker' ??

But finally it was the atmosphere in the BBG, it was awesome.

Somehow we need to re-create something similar, something that people want to be a part of ...

... and I believe that (safe-)standing is definitely worth doing to try and get some atmosphere back.

After watching DCFC for the first time, ask yourself what it was that made you come back for more ?

My dad said i couldn't / shouldn't support Arsenal.

Born in Derby. Season ticket holder since forever didn't have a choice whether i could come back for more or not.

Simples 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Didn't have the option of BBG. Dad said he took me there when i was about 1 or 2 years old before it got demolished to say i had seen it. Apparently Pride Park doesnt have a patch on the European nights at the BBG. I have had the entire team for that era drilled into me.

Never saw these guys called Hector, Gemmill, O'hare. Having watched the damned united and being told about the glory days of DCFC I kind of realised how big a deal it was.

It would be like Nigel getting promoted with us and then winning the premiership within two or three seasons!!!! That would be the biggest footballing miracle of the premier leagues history.

My Dad said he always used to sit in the pop side and that was the place to be for atmosphere. And in fact i dont think he ever sat at all, it was standing in those days. The only thing that i have to go by is what Borrusia Dortmund do in terms of standing. I was never part of the standing up at football games era.

So i really dont know if having a terraced area would improve the atmosphere that much?

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21142999]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/21142999

Interesting article on the bbc sports website re falling attendances.

Seems to me Brentford came up with a really innovative idea with their 'pay what you feel' day.

Similar to Radiohead's concept when they released "In Rainbows" - they set up their own website and you chose what contirbution you would make. Sticking 2 fingers up at the music industry..

The first time I saw DCFC was the last game at the BBG vs. Arsenal. A bizzare atmosphere, but the football bug bit in and has been with me ever since. I endeavour to make every game I can, but this isn't every week. It will be when it is possible.

Similar to Radiohead's concept when they released "In Rainbows" - they set up their own website and you chose what contirbution you would make. Sticking 2 fingers up at the music industry..

The first time I saw DCFC was the last game at the BBG vs. Arsenal. A bizzare atmosphere, but the football bug bit in and has been with me ever since. I endeavour to make every game I can, but this isn't every week. It will be when it is possible.

It would be a good opportunity though to give the board an idea of what fans really think is true value for money when it comes to ticketing and would enable them to set a benchmark.

Obviously there would be a few that would take the p**s but I reckon the vasy majority (if they care about the club) would actually pay what they thought to be a fair price.

I have a season ticket but, if not, I think I would be happy to walk up and pay £10 to £15 per game dependent on opposition...and yes I know that my season ticket works out at more than that but it saves the hassle of going to get tickets etc!

My first match was against Birmingham in 1984 I think, been a regular ever since.

I think we are down to the hardcore of fans now.

I think most will be happy with what they have seen at Pride Park this season.

I don't see many leaving unless prices go up again.

It comes down to playing investment IMO, noise and belief - I think it would be better for attendances by just telling a few porkies - make a few bold statements... pretend like we're going to give it ago.

The average football fan lives in blissful arrogance - if Rush started saying, we're going to make big name signings and push for automatic promotion we would have alot more interest from fans, even if we don't mean it.

get your season tickets in by the first game of the season where everything is still possible - make excuses about players going to premier league clubs...etc basically lie like ****.

I'll be totally honest, next season my season ticket nearly doubles due to me going to adult - if I hear 'cost cutting' ********... I'm out and not just that with a few other reasons, along with that - but I understand the reasons behind the cost cutting, and I'm not one of these fans that is annoyed at the owners. You just can't argue that at times, for instance this january where we're within reaching distance of the play-offs after a 'decent' half a year, we have released a striker - and look unlikely to bring anyone in because quite frankly we can't afford too.

8 million a year losses - we still have a young paper thin squad - a few injuries in certain areas and we would struggle, no doubt.

I've seen some people comment that season ticket holders have been whittled down to the "hardcore" fan base of pre-promotion to the premier league days, or that "plastic fans" or "glory hunters" are waiting for Derby to return to the Prem before returning in their thousands.

Hmmm, not sure this is the case. I was a season ticket holder for 17 straight years and I decided to stop going this season; basically because I don't like this board and I don't like this manager. I don't want to throw any more money in their direction. Both parties have had their chance in my eyes and continually "settling" for mid table obscurity at a club capable of so much more is just not good enough in my eyes.

Chopping and changing the manager once or twice every season is no guarantee of success, but neither is persisting long term with someone who is just plain average as a manager. Why do this board persist with Clough? I expect the real reason is they won't stump up the cash to sack him and bring in a manager who might be more ambitious/demanding.

I also feel that so many fans have been "brainwashed" into accepting mid table mediocrity. This season will be mid table at best and you are happy with that? So will next season, and probably the seasons after that spreading far into the future. Yes I see the excellent kids coming through. But surely, proven quality is also needed to augment a proper promotion push?

Clough has made some decent "mid table" player signings, but none of these are good enough to push us towards the top 6. Where is his "Michu" type signing? The star he unearths that other teams wish they'd got? I can't see one to be honest.

I've seen some people comment that season ticket holders have been whittled down to the "hardcore" fan base of pre-promotion to the premier league days, or that "plastic fans" or "glory hunters" are waiting for Derby to return to the Prem before returning in their thousands.

Hmmm, not sure this is the case. I was a season ticket holder for 17 straight years and I decided to stop going this season; basically because I don't like this board and I don't like this manager. I don't want to throw any more money in their direction. Both parties have had their chance in my eyes and continually "settling" for mid table obscurity at a club capable of so much more is just not good enough in my eyes.

Chopping and changing the manager once or twice every season is no guarantee of success, but neither is persisting long term with someone who is just plain average as a manager. Why do this board persist with Clough? I expect the real reason is they won't stump up the cash to sack him and bring in a manager who might be more ambitious/demanding.

I also feel that so many fans have been "brainwashed" into accepting mid table mediocrity. This season will be mid table at best and you are happy with that? So will next season, and probably the seasons after that spreading far into the future. Yes I see the excellent kids coming through. But surely, proven quality is also needed to augment a proper promotion push?

Clough has made some decent "mid table" player signings, but none of these are good enough to push us towards the top 6. Where is his "Michu" type signing? The star he unearths that other teams wish they'd got? I can't see one to be honest.

Did you go last saturday?

It would be a good opportunity though to give the board an idea of what fans really think is true value for money when it comes to ticketing and would enable them to set a benchmark.

Obviously there would be a few that would take the p**s but I reckon the vasy majority (if they care about the club) would actually pay what they thought to be a fair price.

I have a season ticket but, if not, I think I would be happy to walk up and pay £10 to £15 per game dependent on opposition...and yes I know that my season ticket works out at more than that but it saves the hassle of going to get tickets etc!

My first match was against Birmingham in 1984 I think, been a regular ever since.

In terms of money made, the PWYW 'pay what you want' scheme made more than their previous album that was only released as a physical CD.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-28041214/first-results-of-radioheads-pay-what-you-want-experiment-are-in/

Obviously the music industry is a different animal to selling tickets for a football game (i.e., there were still many people that saw fit to torrent it..) but I think that if it were to trial on a lower category game (Barnsley next season?) the results might be interesting. It would however, alienate the ST holders, PWYW season ticket?

Archived