Summer Signings Value Review

sage

message to bv

Theres a fairly consistant message on here - and amongst Derby fans generally - that we are a mid-table side with ambitions towards the top half and a finish probably just outside the top six.

Isnt that what Duracell said the other day, that I agreed with?

But we have improved and a top 8, 9, finish is better than an 18th, 19th finish which is where we were not so long ago.

The football has improved.

We are consistantly producing better results ( see this year v last year) but there is room for further improvement.

Away form is letting us down.

The strikers are not yet of the same quality as the better players elsewhere, nevertheless there is cause for some celebration.

Keogh has replaced Shackell and has done well.

Hughes has been a breath of fresh air and IS one of the best 17 year olds anywhere.

Coutts has been a very good signing - we can debate whether its 7 or 8 out of 10 or whatever else, but he has been good.

We are within touching distance of the top 6 but not yet ready to mount a serious bid for promotion.

However there is every reason to believe that a young side will get better yet and there grounds for some optimism.

So lighten up.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

message to bv

Theres a fairly consistant message on here - and amongst Derby fans generally - that we are a mid-table side with ambitions towards the top half and a finish probably just outside the top six.

Isnt that what Duracell said the other day, that I agreed with?

But we have improved and a top 8, 9, finish is better than an 18th, 19th finish which is where we were not so long ago.

The football has improved.

We are consistantly producing better results ( see this year v last year) but there is room for further improvement.

Away form is letting us down.

The strikers are not yet of the same quality as the better players elsewhere, nevertheless there is cause for some celebration.

Keogh has replaced Shackell and has done well.

Hughes has been a breath of fresh air and IS one of the best 17 year olds anywhere.

Coutts has been a very good signing - we can debate whether its 7 or 8 out of 10 or whatever else, but he has been good.

We are within touching distance of the top 6 but not yet ready to mount a serious bid for promotion.

However there is every reason to believe that a young side will get better yet and there grounds for some optimism.

So lighten up.

WRONG.

Hughes is ***** because he wasn't born in Spain.

{content}
Michael Jacobs - Northampton Town, Undisclosed Fee - if the rumored fee is true then i think we have a good signing who is value for money a few improvements in certain areas we have a very very good player. 8/10[/indent]

{content}
Paul Coutts - Preston North End, Undisclosed Fee - one of the bargains of the season, constant performer very creative and attacking for that value 10/10[/indent]

{content}
Richard Keogh - Coventry City, Undisclosed Fee - shackell's replacement and IMO a better player and rumoured to be the same fee, couple of iffy games but a good player none the less. 8/10[/indent]

{content}

James O'Connor - Doncaster Rovers, Undisclosed Fee. rumoured to be cheap and has been poor recently. looks good for back up though. 6/10[/indent]

{content}
Michael Hoganson Unattached, Free Transfer - dunno hows he's been in the U21s but looks a promising LB 6/10[/indent]

{content}
Valentin Gjokaj Lucerne, Undisclosed Fee - similar to hoganson but has been on the bench more often 7/10[/indent]

{content}
Conor Sammon Wigan Athletic, Undisclosed Fee - if we paid 600k then good value 7/10, if we paid what the papers have said (1mill+) then we've paid too much IMO. looks alright though needs to be more clinical 6/10.[/indent]

{content}
Kieron Freeman Nottingham Forest, Undisclosed Fee - looks like we've nicked a promosing player from forest for a small price as well. looks very promising 8/10[/indent]

Started typing but I agree 100% with this so I'm just gonna copy it!

If you can't wear rose coloured specs when talking about your own club then it's time to leave the country.

Some people live and breath Derby County.

Some people also want to knock our country from afar.

Well, I'm telling these people who want to talk down Derby County this:

You aren't proper supporters, you can't be. Either you love your club or you don't.

Yes, everyone gets pissed off if we lose, but give it a day, and a true supporter will be looking forward to the next game.

How anyone can live abroad, claim to be a Derby fan, and criticise our club from afar while looking down their noses at people who wouldn't dream of moving away from this great area is beyond me.

Every expat I know really misses the club, and going to the match. God knows it would kill me to miss a home league game even if I was in this country.

So, the sooner people understand that certain members only post about our club to get a reaction, the better this forum will be.

Please look at comments, read them, digest them, and make your mind up if they are truly worth replying to.

I love my club, I know it's not perfect, I know we don't splash money about like Lesta or Notts Forest. But it's my club, and your club, our club.

Together we are Derby!

Fook anyone else who wants to drag it down, Fook them! We all stand together!

Come on you Rams!

(My personal view, not as an Admin)

Coutts - Good signing, but too inconsistent to be considered a key player. ideally I'd have Ward, Jacobs, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick in midfield. Will be a good back up player though if we are ever to push for the top six 7.5/10

Keogh - Younger and arguably better than Shackell. A snipe on the 5 million Leicester paid for Matt Mills. 8/10

Sammon - Lacks goals plain and simple; said in a dozen posts than Steve Howard and Rob Hulse play(ed) a similar style and still manage to get 15+ a season. Hope He proves me wrong, but He isn't worthy of a million pound plus fee. Rather have signed a loanee and/or Mcclean from Hull 6/10

Jacobs - Great signing, one of the best of the Summer. Has the pace and creativity, the side has lacked for years. With Ward out we lack pace and Jacobs has filled in superbly. Only downside is his corners, can never get past the first man. 9/10

Gjokaj - Seen him half a dozen times for the under 21's and He looks to have a bright future. Surprised He didn't get many games when He went out on loan. Think him and O'brien are the future in the center. 8/10

Freeman/Hoganson - Freeman is the better of the two, looks to be a ideal replacement for Brayford when/if He leaves. Would like to see him more in the team, but with Brayford, Roberts, O'Connor are experienced it'll be difficult to get a good run. Hoganson can't comment much on, besides the odd appearance for the under 21's and He looked "decent" 7.5/10

O'Connor - Personally the worst of the lot. I cringed throughout the Leicester game and theres been plenty more poor performances. Shouldn't have been signed, but thankfully we didn't pay a fee. Hopefully he'll leave come the Summer and the likes of Freeman, Hoganson and Lelan can get more playing time. 3/10

Coutts - Good signing, but too inconsistent to be considered a key player. ideally I'd have Ward, Jacobs, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick in midfield. Will be a good back up player though if we are ever to push for the top six 7.5/10

Keogh - Younger and arguably better than Shackell. A snipe on the 5 million Leicester paid for Matt Mills. 8/10

Sammon - Lacks goals plain and simple; said in a dozen posts than Steve Howard and Rob Hulse play(ed) a similar style and still manage to get 15+ a season. Hope He proves me wrong, but He isn't worthy of a million pound plus fee. Rather have signed a loanee and/or Mcclean from Hull 6/10 How many goals (not inc penalties) did Howard score in the promotions season? - 12

Jacobs - Great signing, one of the best of the Summer. Has the pace and creativity, the side has lacked for years. With Ward out we lack pace and Jacobs has filled in superbly. Only downside is his corners, can never get past the first man. 9/10 Jacobs is slow.

Gjokaj - Seen him half a dozen times for the under 21's and He looks to have a bright future. Surprised He didn't get many games when He went out on loan. Think him and O'brien are the future in the center. 8/10

Freeman/Hoganson - Freeman is the better of the two, looks to be a ideal replacement for Brayford when/if He leaves. Would like to see him more in the team, but with Brayford, Roberts, O'Connor are experienced it'll be difficult to get a good run. Hoganson can't comment much on, besides the odd appearance for the under 21's and He looked "decent" 7.5/10

O'Connor - Personally the worst of the lot. I cringed throughout the Leicester game and theres been plenty more poor performances. Shouldn't have been signed, but thankfully we didn't pay a fee. Hopefully he'll leave come the Summer and the likes of Freeman, Hoganson and Lelan can get more playing time. 3/10

Whether most of them are penalties or not...a goal is a goal..

Who else in the 2006/07 season scored the vital goals bar Steve Howard and possibly Lupoli (when He turned up)? Jon Macken?...

And when you've seen such ***** over the years like Gary Teale, Laurent Robert and Eddie Lewis on the flanks you presume Michael Jacobs is alot quicker. My bad.

Whether most of them are penalties or not...a goal is a goal..

Who else in the 2006/07 season scored the vital goals bar Steve Howard and possibly Lupoli (when He turned up)? Jon Macken?...

And when you've seen such ***** over the years like Gary Teale, Laurent Robert and Eddie Lewis on the flanks you presume Michael Jacobs is alot quicker. My bad.

Teale was quicker than Jacobs by miles. I can't argue with your penalty/goals logic.

If you can't wear rose coloured specs when talking about your own club then it's time to leave the country.

Some people live and breath Derby County.

Some people also want to knock our country from afar.

Well, I'm telling these people who want to talk down Derby County this:

You aren't proper supporters, you can't be. Either you love your club or you don't.

Yes, everyone gets pissed off if we lose, but give it a day, and a true supporter will be looking forward to the next game.

How anyone can live abroad, claim to be a Derby fan, and criticise our club from afar while looking down their noses at people who wouldn't dream of moving away from this great area is beyond me.

Every expat I know really misses the club, and going to the match. God knows it would kill me to miss a home league game even if I was in this country.

So, the sooner people understand that certain members only post about our club to get a reaction, the better this forum will be.

Please look at comments, read them, digest them, and make your mind up if they are truly worth replying to.

I love my club, I know it's not perfect, I know we don't splash money about like Lesta or Notts Forest. But it's my club, and your club, our club.

Together we are Derby!

Fook anyone else who wants to drag it down, Fook them! We all stand together!

Come on you Rams!

(My personal view, not as an Admin)

Derby County are average, Coutts is average, you're an average poster, and an average mod..

This thread is average..

And kind of pointless too if everyone is going to say the same things which they are..

sammon is doing alreet. he'll come good. already looking on target to get 12or so goals. same as our top scorers last season and he's not a goal scorer. big baldy golem upfront is jsut what we needed until we get someone better in a couple of years. we play better when he's up there i reckon.... and with jacobs up along side him for a bit... im a little bit...dare i say it... excited to see what happens. i dont really see jacobs as a winger really. he's tricky and he cuts in nice.... think we've scored a couple or so from his deep,inswinging crosses. reckon wards a better winger than a striker too. he gets to the byline bloody well. we are mid table at the min but playing decent football ish.... 2 years and we're going to look really handy. and the average age of the team will still be about 25.

Derby County are average, Coutts is average, you're an average poster, and an average mod..

This thread is average..

And kind of pointless too if everyone is going to say the same things which they are..

Coutts. Average

Jacobs. Average.

Sammon. Average.

Freeman. Average.

They're all average players but any players with more than average ability will not play for Derby County. Hughes has above average potential and for that reason will soon be gone.

What is your point Bris?

The question was do they represent value?

My answer would be yes as in Coutts case, no other club would take a look at him and he could no longer get a game for a Division One side. Only Clough was able to realise he could have an albeit average player for the measly sum if 150k. An absolute bargain.

Jacobs is potential and if he's good enough to play at Championship level then he represents another steal. The same can be said of Freeman.

And Sammon. Let's wait and see there. I'm quietly confident from what I have seen he will produce the goods.

Bris you seemed to have missed the point of thread which is commenting on value for money.

And what is your obsession with taking any positive at DCFC and comparing it to something that we all know is better?

One thing I don't have a problem with though is you having your own judgement on players and I would agree with you that some posters do get a bit carried away.

For what it is worth I would rate the value for money signings as follows:-

O'Connor 5 - offers average cover right across the back 4, looked better at cb than lb

Gjokaj 6 - not seen enough of him to rate him any higher. if pre season is anything to go by, a good purchase of potential

Freeman 8 - has played at international level at his age group so has obvious potential, always looked impressive when stepping up to first team

Hoganson N/A - hardly seen him so hard to comment

Coutts 8 - breath of fresh air to see a midfielder who wants the ball and wants to make things happen. link up play with Brayford is a delight to watch at times. great signing at £150k imo

Jacobs 6 - going against popular opinion here I know and probably being a bit harsh. think on the wing his awareness of what is around him is poor, often puts his head down and runs into defenders. looked decent against Boro but won't mark him up on the back of one game

Sammon 5 - has brought something different to thread team and I actually quite like him. the most expensive signing in a team i would expect to be a midfield maestro or 15 - 20 goal a season striker

This thread is average..

Average mod? This must be the first time u have made someone out to be better than they are.....unless.....u got any spanish in ya boycie?

Archived