is this our year for promation

B4ev6is

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although there's a long way to go,the play offs are a possibility. Have we got the players to get up and stay up,don't think so.

Would the men in charge dig deep?-that may be the question.If they do then we could stay up? If not yoyo springs to mind.

I'd be happy to yo-yo if we end up like WBA

I'd be happy to yo-yo if we end up like WBA

Being a yo-yo is fun! Always something to play for in the season! Although in all fairness, by the end of it every single Albion fan embraced mid-table with open arms :')

Would love Derby to get promoted, the team definitely has potential, a few signings in January then why not dream?

why does everyone doubt about this season going to be

we are playing best football we have played for many a year

I'll give you a few reasons..

1.. You say the same every season

2.. We're yet to breach the top 6

3.. Our away form is poor.. We average only a point a game away

4.. We've only scored about 10 goals away from home all season

5.. We have a small squad.. Any injuries to Keogh, Bryson or Hughes and we'll lose games

6.. Defensively this season we haven't been particularly good

7.. We're yet to win 3 games running

8.. Our longest unbeaten run is 5 games

9.. If we're relying on our home form we need to win around 60% of our home games.. Something we haven't done

10.. Our football isn't that good

But you keep living the dream mate.. Hopefully all of the above will improve in 2013 and we'll make a late push..

But I doubt it.

I'll give you a few reasons..

1.. You say the same every season

2.. We're yet to breach the top 6

3.. Our away form is poor.. We average only a point a game away

4.. We've only scored about 10 goals away from home all season

5.. We have a small squad.. Any injuries to Keogh, Bryson or Hughes and we'll lose games

6.. Defensively this season we haven't been particularly good

7.. We're yet to win 3 games running

8.. Our longest unbeaten run is 5 games

9.. If we're relying on our home form we need to win around 60% of our home games.. Something we haven't done

10.. Our football isn't that good

But you keep living the dream mate.. Hopefully all of the above will improve in 2013 and we'll make a late push..

But I doubt it.

Why word you post some rubbish. Yes, every season we have a purple patch at some point and start dreaming, but usually at this point in the season the playoffs aren't looking that likely. By this point in 2010-11 our slump had already began and we were already falling off, and this was the point last year that our purple patch came. As things stand though, we are in the best position we have been for this time of the season under Nigel. If we can put together some good results in the coming weeks, we could very well be in the playoff places at the end of January.

What's more interesting is that we've gotten to this position in a consistent manner, rather than our usual routine of a purple patch followed by a slump. This in and of itself is important, we've achieved a better position on consistency, not periods of good form. If you then take into account that we do have it in our locker to play better and have another purple patch in previous years, then it's plausible that we could be a shout for the playoffs, and whilst I wouldn't be getting excited, it certainly isn't a case that we're just dreaming by thinking that way.

Speaking of a small squad, we have far more depth this season than we've had in a while. Roberts has been out at times this year, as with Ward and now Bryson and yet results are still coming. Yes, if we lost 5-6 key players for long periods we'd be in trouble, but the same could be said for any team.

Speaking of home and away form though, I feel that we're exaggerating how poor the away form has really been. Yes, we could do a lot better, but we're still midtable away form wise. 11 points from 11 games away from home isn't a terrible result, but it sits us 16th on the away table if I calculated that right. If we also continue our impressive home form, which currently has us 5th on home form, then we certainly would be in with a chance. Speaking of needing "to win around 60% of our home game" [sic], we actually have won 55% so far, and there's no reason to think we couldn't better that. But we'll see what happens.

I'd also mention again what I was saying about us this season in comparison to previous seasons. A simple analysis of our results, points per game and the likelyhood of change in those values gives us roughly a 33% chance of the playoffs, so 2-1. This compares to (when using the data at the times) 3% (37-1) last season, 10% (46-5), 0.2% (1103-2), 0.1% (3541-5). If you are interested in the post where I mentioned this in more detail, it is on the previous page. So, long story short, whether you agree with the analysis of the idea that we have a 33% chance of reaching the playoffs this season, it is clear that we are in a far better position than we have been at this point, and we've done it in a more consistent manner.

Speaking of the football, if you don't like it, oh well, a lot of people are impressed, but hey... That's a true matter of opinion and you can't define what is good football in a consistent manner.

Finally, to answer your points directly:

1. We are currently in the best position we've been in at this point for a go at the top 6

2. This is not an issue in any way, last season Birmingham (who finished 4th) first "breached" the playoffs after this point, whilst Reading (who finished 2nd) had only been in the playoffs for one game (after the second game of the season) until after this point as well

3. See above, it's not that poor, we're actually midtable in terms of away form, that is unless 16th is not midtable, still not great overall, but it's not as bad as you make it sound

4. Whilst this is a slight worry, this is something that may improve, and since we (as above) are midtable in away form, I don't see how this is a massive problem

5. We've already had injuries to Ward and Bryson, yet results are still coming (see more above). Any team that has several key players our with injuries are going to have problems, what's your point?

6. We're very midtable for goals conceded (14th and 1 off 10th), so I don't get what you're saying here

7. We've been more consistent than in previous years, boom and bust isn't always good

8. See above

9. We're winning 55% of our home games, that's fairly close to your 60%, with half the season to go you don't know what's going to happen

10. Entirely subjective

Why word you post some rubbish. Yes, every season we have a purple patch at some point and start dreaming, but usually at this point in the season the playoffs aren't looking that likely. By this point in 2010-11 our slump had already began and we were already falling off, and this was the point last year that our purple patch came. As things stand though, we are in the best position we have been for this time of the season under Nigel. If we can put together some good results in the coming weeks, we could very well be in the playoff places at the end of January.

What's more interesting is that we've gotten to this position in a consistent manner, rather than our usual routine of a purple patch followed by a slump. This in and of itself is important, we've achieved a better position on consistency, not periods of good form. If you then take into account that we do have it in our locker to play better and have another purple patch in previous years, then it's plausible that we could be a shout for the playoffs, and whilst I wouldn't be getting excited, it certainly isn't a case that we're just dreaming by thinking that way.

Speaking of a small squad, we have far more depth this season than we've had in a while. Roberts has been out at times this year, as with Ward and now Bryson and yet results are still coming. Yes, if we lost 5-6 key players for long periods we'd be in trouble, but the same could be said for any team.

Speaking of home and away form though, I feel that we're exaggerating how poor the away form has really been. Yes, we could do a lot better, but we're still midtable away form wise. 11 points from 11 games away from home isn't a terrible result, but it sits us 16th on the away table if I calculated that right. If we also continue our impressive home form, which currently has us 5th on home form, then we certainly would be in with a chance. Speaking of needing "to win around 60% of our home game" [sic], we actually have won 55% so far, and there's no reason to think we couldn't better that. But we'll see what happens.

I'd also mention again what I was saying about us this season in comparison to previous seasons. A simple analysis of our results, points per game and the likelyhood of change in those values gives us roughly a 33% chance of the playoffs, so 2-1. This compares to (when using the data at the times) 3% (37-1) last season, 10% (46-5), 0.2% (1103-2), 0.1% (3541-5). If you are interested in the post where I mentioned this in more detail, it is on the previous page. So, long story short, whether you agree with the analysis of the idea that we have a 33% chance of reaching the playoffs this season, it is clear that we are in a far better position than we have been at this point, and we've done it in a more consistent manner.

Speaking of the football, if you don't like it, oh well, a lot of people are impressed, but hey... That's a true matter of opinion and you can't define what is good football in a consistent manner.

Finally, to answer your points directly:

1. We are currently in the best position we've been in at this point for a go at the top 6

2. This is not an issue in any way, last season Birmingham (who finished 4th) first "breached" the playoffs after this point, whilst Reading (who finished 2nd) had only been in the playoffs for one game (after the second game of the season) until after this point as well

3. See above, it's not that poor, we're actually midtable in terms of away form, that is unless 16th is not midtable, still not great overall, but it's not as bad as you make it sound

4. Whilst this is a slight worry, this is something that may improve, and since we (as above) are midtable in away form, I don't see how this is a massive problem

5. We've already had injuries to Ward and Bryson, yet results are still coming (see more above). Any team that has several key players our with injuries are going to have problems, what's your point?

6. We're very midtable for goals conceded (14th and 1 off 10th), so I don't get what you're saying here

7. We've been more consistent than in previous years, boom and bust isn't always good

8. See above

9. We're winning 55% of our home games, that's fairly close to your 60%, with half the season to go you don't know what's going to happen

10. Entirely subjective

What I posted were all facts about this season.. And you say it's rubbish..

And then you going and post a bunch of fairyland b0llocks with a whole load of 'ifs' and 'buts' to try and convince me..

Good god man, you're one happy clapping dreamer aren't you? Get back to the real world

What I posted were all facts about this season.. And you say it's rubbish..

And then you going and post a bunch of fairyland b0llocks with a whole load of 'ifs' and 'buts' to try and convince me..

Good god man, you're one happy clapping dreamer aren't you? Get back to the real world

You really are a special one aren't you. I doubt you even read my post, either that or you're just openly lying now. Let's count the facts eh:

1.. You say the same every season - False - what people have said is wide and varied at this time of year, this claim is a wild guess or great oversimplification at best which is not representative of anything and offers nothing to the debate, not a fact as you claim

2.. We're yet to breach the top 6 - True, but irrelevant

3.. Our away form is poor.. We average only a point a game away - We do only average a point a game away from home, but it's not as bad as some state, it is midtable away form

4.. We've only scored about 10 goals away from home all season True

5.. We have a small squad.. Any injuries to Keogh, Bryson or Hughes and we'll lose games - We have more depth than we have had, and we've already kept ticking alone with key players out, namely Fielding, Ward and Bryson

6.. Defensively this season we haven't been particularly good - We're midtable in that respect, oh well...

7.. We're yet to win 3 games running True, but irrelevant

8.. Our longest unbeaten run is 5 games True, but again, this doesn't show anything

9.. If we're relying on our home form we need to win around 60% of our home games.. Something we haven't done We've won 55%, I don't see the issue in thinking we could improve that beyond the 60% you mention

10.. Our football isn't that good Not a fact at all, it's just your opinion and you offer nothing to back it

So yeah, basically, you post rubbish, then ignore my response... Congrats mate. I wouldn't have liked a proper discussion with you on the matter, but it seems that you don't actually know how to discuss such matters.

You really are a special one aren't you. I doubt you even read my post, either that or you're just openly lying now. Let's count the facts eh:

1.. You say the same every season - False - what people have said is wide and varied at this time of year, this claim is a wild guess or great oversimplification at best which is not representative of anything and offers nothing to the debate, not a fact as you claim

2.. We're yet to breach the top 6 - True, but irrelevant

3.. Our away form is poor.. We average only a point a game away - We do only average a point a game away from home, but it's not as bad as some state, it is midtable away form

4.. We've only scored about 10 goals away from home all season True

5.. We have a small squad.. Any injuries to Keogh, Bryson or Hughes and we'll lose games - We have more depth than we have had, and we've already kept ticking alone with key players out, namely Fielding, Ward and Bryson

6.. Defensively this season we haven't been particularly good - We're midtable in that respect, oh well...

7.. We're yet to win 3 games running True, but irrelevant

8.. Our longest unbeaten run is 5 games True, but again, this doesn't show anything

9.. If we're relying on our home form we need to win around 60% of our home games.. Something we haven't done We've won 55%, I don't see the issue in thinking we could improve that beyond the 60% you mention

10.. Our football isn't that good Not a fact at all, it's just your opinion and you offer nothing to back it

So yeah, basically, you post rubbish, then ignore my response... Congrats mate. I wouldn't have liked a proper discussion with you on the matter, but it seems that you don't actually know how to discuss such matters.

1. I said B4 says the same every year

2. N/A

3. Our away form is poor.. 3 wins from 11, 1 point a game, -11 GD.. That's poor.

4. N/A

5. We have more depth, but not good quality depth.. We struggled without Bryson, imagine of Hughes and Keogh got injued.. Our best CB by a mile and our only creative midfielder CM

6. We haven't been good defensively.. We've conceded 32 from 22.. For every 2 games we're likely to concede one in one game and thenm two in the next game.. That's not good.. We'll end up with over 60 goals shipped this season.. Not good.

7. If we can't string wins together how do you expect us to climb the league?

8. Yes, it shows we aren't resiliant enough to pick up points over a season.. I wouldn't mind if we win 2 for every 1 loss, but we don't..

9. Erm, we're only winning 55% of our home games.. With our poor away form we need to win roughly 65% of our home games to give us a chance of promotion.. 75 points is the magic playoff number.. 1 point a game away from home = 23 points.. That means we need roughly 52 points from our 23 home games.. 16 wins, 4 draws, 3 defeats.. We so far have won 6, drawn 4, lost 1.. So we need to go 10-0-2 from our remaining home games.. Or improve our poor away form..

10. Our football isn't that good.. No way near as good as people are making it, it just seems alot better because so far in NCs tenure it's been dross..

The basic question posed by B4 was why people doubt we'll make the playoffs.. I gave you a number of good reasons.. And now you're telling me this that and the other... We need to improve to make the playoffs, on current form over the season we won't do it.. All the facts above and the stats of the first 22 games suggests we won't make it.. You're saying I'm posting rubbish, but it's far more unrealistic and fanciful to suggest we will make the playoffs on the assumption that we're going to improve in the second half of the season..

I've just posted basic facts for why we won't make the playoffs yet I post rubbish in comparison to someone trying to give me good reasons as why we will make the playoffs using ifs and buts..

Whose the one posting rubbish now?

1. I said B4 says the same every year

2. N/A

3. Our away form is poor.. 3 wins from 11, 1 point a game, -11 GD.. That's poor.

4. N/A

5. We have more depth, but not good quality depth.. We struggled without Bryson, imagine of Hughes and Keogh got injued.. Our best CB by a mile and our only creative midfielder CM

6. We haven't been good defensively.. We've conceded 32 from 22.. For every 2 games we're likely to concede one in one game and thenm two in the next game.. That's not good.. We'll end up with over 60 goals shipped this season.. Not good.

7. If we can't string wins together how do you expect us to climb the league?

8. Yes, it shows we aren't resiliant enough to pick up points over a season.. I wouldn't mind if we win 2 for every 1 loss, but we don't..

9. Erm, we're only winning 55% of our home games.. With our poor away form we need to win roughly 65% of our home games to give us a chance of promotion.. 75 points is the magic playoff number.. 1 point a game away from home = 23 points.. That means we need roughly 52 points from our 23 home games.. 16 wins, 4 draws, 3 defeats.. We so far have won 6, drawn 4, lost 1.. So we need to go 10-0-2 from our remaining home games.. Or improve our poor away form..

10. Our football isn't that good.. No way near as good as people are making it, it just seems alot better because so far in NCs tenure it's been dross..

The basic question posed by B4 was why people doubt we'll make the playoffs.. I gave you a number of good reasons.. And now you're telling me this that and the other... We need to improve to make the playoffs, on current form over the season we won't do it.. All the facts above and the stats of the first 22 games suggests we won't make it.. You're saying I'm posting rubbish, but it's far more unrealistic and fanciful to suggest we will make the playoffs on the assumption that we're going to improve in the second half of the season..

I've just posted basic facts for why we won't make the playoffs yet I post rubbish in comparison to someone trying to give me good reasons as why we will make the playoffs using ifs and buts..

Whose the one posting rubbish now?

On current form we'll be pretty much on the doorstep of the playoffs... In fact, if we do manage one good run between now and the end of the season and maintain our consistency we'd be set, but I doubt that'll happen.

I was merely responding to your overly negative take on everything by the way. You seem to find the worst in everything, I was trying to show you that's not really the case. I find it comforting though that being about average in this league (goals conceded, away form) is just not acceptable to you. You also seem to think our current position isn't all that good, despite us being on the doorstep of the playoff places halfway through the season. Again, I must applaud you on your negativity, it is truly something to behold.

I'd also point out that you didn't post basic facts. Your opinions are not facts, and your negative spin is not facts. I must say, you do seemingly take the time to actually check what you're saying, but on the other hand you offer a huge amount of negative spin on everything, and I get the impression that you wouldn't post something if it offered anything positive towards the club as things stand.

Now, let's clear some things up:

- Nobody is saying our away form is good enough for the playoffs, I was only trying to mention that is has hardly been abysmal

- As has been said over and over again, yes if we lose half our first team to injury we will struggle, like most other clubs

- Our defence has conceded a few goals this year, but ultimately our record for goals conceded is still midtable

Finally, teams can climb the league through consistently picking up points without any truly impressive runs. A run of WWLDWW is 13 points from 6 games (2.17 points per game), WDLWWL is 10 points from 6 games (1.67 points) and put bluntly, either of those would have a team pushing up the table. Yes, stringing wins together would be great, but ultimately we're on the doorstep through consistent results, despite not having any great runs, that in and of itself is interesting, especially at this time of the season when the table is congested. We are well positioned for a solid push if we can put together some top form at some point, then maintain our consistency.

On current form we'll be pretty much on the doorstep of the playoffs... In fact, if we do manage one good run between now and the end of the season and maintain our consistency we'd be set, but I doubt that'll happen.

I was merely responding to your overly negative take on everything by the way. You seem to find the worst in everything, I was trying to show you that's not really the case. I find it comforting though that being about average in this league (goals conceded, away form) is just not acceptable to you. You also seem to think our current position isn't all that good, despite us being on the doorstep of the playoff places halfway through the season. Again, I must applaud you on your negativity, it is truly something to behold.

I'd also point out that you didn't post basic facts. Your opinions are not facts, and your negative spin is not facts. I must say, you do seemingly take the time to actually check what you're saying, but on the other hand you offer a huge amount of negative spin on everything, and I get the impression that you wouldn't post something if it offered anything positive towards the club as things stand.

Now, let's clear some things up:

- Nobody is saying our away form is good enough for the playoffs, I was only trying to mention that is has hardly been abysmal

- As has been said over and over again, yes if we lose half our first team to injury we will struggle, like most other clubs

- Our defence has conceded a few goals this year, but ultimately our record for goals conceded is still midtable

Finally, teams can climb the league through consistently picking up points without any truly impressive runs. A run of WWLDWW is 13 points from 6 games (2.17 points per game), WDLWWL is 10 points from 6 games (1.67 points) and put bluntly, either of those would have a team pushing up the table. Yes, stringing wins together would be great, but ultimately we're on the doorstep through consistent results, despite not having any great runs, that in and of itself is interesting, especially at this time of the season when the table is congested. We are well positioned for a solid push if we can put together some top form at some point, then maintain our consistency.

On current form we'll end up with around 64 points which is around 11 points off the playoffs.. Doorstep? We're midtable, it only looks close because there are a bunch of teams together in the middle.. I expect us to fluctuate between 16th and 9th all season..

We have 33 points from 23 games.. But played one extra at home.. To reach the magical 75 point mark we need 42 points from 23 games.. 11 at home and 12 away.. If we continue with our poor away record we'll only get another 12 points away from home, meaning we need 30 from 11 home games.. Now a record of 10-0-1..

Are you sure we're 'on the doorstep' of the playoffs? Can you see why I doubt we'd get there?

I don't put a negative spin on anything.. I try to be as realistic as possible.. Once again, it's not negative to admit we're an average midtable NPC side and it's not negative to say it's fanciful to talk about the playoffs.. Our away record is poor, no other way of looking at it.. The last 2 times we made the playoofs we won around 11 or 12 of our away games.. Around 50%.. We only manage that for our home games, our away games it's around 28%

Why do you keep saying my negative spin aren't facts? They are facts, they're not negative spin.. We've won 6/12 home games which isn't that great, we've won 3 out of 11 away games and collected only 11 points scoring only 10 goals with a -9GD.. That's poor.. It's not even average, it's poor.. I never used the word abysmal, abysmal would be 1 win or 6 or 7 points from 11 games..

Once again.. You mention being the doorstep and well positioned.. We need roughly 42 points from 23 games.. We need to win more than 50% of our remaining games, something we fail to do both home and away..

Seriously? I'd be amazed if we made the playoffs.. It would be a really good achievement.. But facts say that it's fanciful, and it doesn't mean I'm a miserable negative fecker if I say that it's highly probable that we won't make it.. You think we will make it, I don't.. OK different opinions.. But don't go saying I'm spouting rubbish when I have plenty of reason to back up my opinions whilst you use fanciful thoughts and lot's of ifs and buts..

I don't think the play-offs are out of the question. It's far too early to rule anything out as we're only at the half-way stage. But realistically, we have to improve whether that be by making a few shrewd signings in January or getting just that little bit more out of this group of players.

Our away form, as Bris rightly points out in all fairness, is not where you'd want it to be for a team with promotion ambitions. 3 wins and 6 defeats from 11 away games is no basis for a play-off push. For me, it'll be interesting to see how we respond on Wednesday and Saturday and whether the Bristol City performance was a flash in the pan or a sign of us learning lessons and becoming more resolute.

That's what stands out for me. We are a young, vibrant team that probably just lack the vitality the more experienced sides in the division seem to possess. The likes of Cardiff and Hull are a bit more savvy and battle-tested. They can play football but also dig in and gut things out when they have to. The type of performance Cardiff produced at Pride Park was not endearing but very much effective and is probably something we've tried to implement in the past and struggled to do so much in the same way a chef in a Michelin star restaurant would struggle if all they were left with were a tin of beans and a loaf of bread.

Far too often this season, it's been a hard luck story for us. A point that should have been three. A defeat that should have been a draw. We need to toughen up and become harder to beat. If we want to push on, it's looking more and more likely we'll have to invest in further signings.

We are far better than last season..

At least this season we can talk about hard luck stories and we can all say how the performances are better..

Defensively we're not as good, but as a midfield we're far better..

I can count at least games last season where I thought to myself 'how on earth did we manage 3 points there' as many times we were played off the park and downright lucky.. At least this season it's not been the case.. Of our 9 wins this season, how many can you say were fortunate? Perhaps only Forest away had they not had a sending off and our first half at Ipswich was poor and we got a lucky break at the end.. But as for the rest, we've played well enough to win and there have been a few games where we were unfortunate perhaps not to get more.. Burnley at home being one..

Last season I remember games against Brum, Watford, Hull, Burnley, Palace, Coventry, Reading, Blackpool, Bristol City where we got points and were largely rubbish and fortunate to get them..

We definately overachieved last season in relation to performances and this season is an improvement.. But we're still someway short of a playoff spot..

This is the year for challenging for the players. Next year is making the play-offs. The year after is either promotion or survival, depending on which league we're in 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />.

Franco, football is never that straightforward. Being a Derby fan, you should know by now having a plan is all well and good but executing that plan is the hard part.

What if we find next year that the team doesn't progress as we anticipated? For me, while it's up for grabs, we should do everything in our power to get promoted. We can't afford to sit on our hands and say maybe next year. That's how you end up like Coventry.

Archived