Clough Stick Or Twist ??

physiophil

Well we havn't exactly lost many home games this season. Not sure I agree we play the so called Barca way. We move the ball about very well at home with a lot of freedom and have one of the best home records in the league.

Davies win ratio has been quoted but look at the mess were in when he left. Very similar to Preston and Forest.

Does any one know Jim Smiths win ratio and how it compares to other Derby managers

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Burley also worked under a much, much tighter budget than Clough and yet still managed to find gems like Idiakez, Smith, Bisgaard, Rasiak."

wages wise I'm not sure it was much tighter, he spent less on transfers but ramblur would be better placed to tell us all on that one

"Burley also worked under a much, much tighter budget than Clough and yet still managed to find gems like Idiakez, Smith, Bisgaard, Rasiak."

wages wise I'm not sure it was much tighter, he spent less on transfers but ramblur would be better placed to tell us all on that one

I guess that's the only thing that annoys me about Nigel and the scouts in particular. I'm sure you could find a hungry, technically adept scandinavian or eastern block player for the amount we paid for Maguire or Porter. I'm not saying for a second that just because they're foreign it automatically means they'll be **** hot but you can hedge your bets slightly... Those players mentioned above transformed us and I can't recall any of them costing over £300-400k

I guess that's the only thing that annoys me about Nigel and the scouts in particular. I'm sure you could find a hungry, technically adept scandinavian or eastern block player for the amount we paid for Maguire or Porter. I'm not saying for a second that just because they're foreign it automatically means they'll be **** hot but you can hedge your bets slightly... Those players mentioned above transformed us and I can't recall any of them costing over £300-400k

Were they not free transfers?

I don't think the fees are an issue, it is the wages. It is easy for people to be critical of those two players in hindsight, but Porter looked like a good forward prior to his injury while Maguire has just turned out to be a tosser who will end up in the lower leagues.

We didn't need a manager that cared for Derby.. We needed a manager who wasn't as bad as Jewell, and one who could turn the club from average to promotion contenders over a long period of time..

We didn't get one unfortunately and we're stuck with him..

Has that long period of time elapsed? We wont know if we have got one until/unless he leaves us without getting us promoted.

Better than under George Burley? I don't think so.

And besides you can play like Barca ever game, but it means absolutely nothing without getting the 3 points.

Nigels win ratio currently stands at 33.16%

Burleys - 36.45%

Davies - 43.63%

Those three managers fought relegation battles during their time here; yet the one with the more successful percentage is regarded a failure and the one with the least is worshiped like a King to some on here...

Burley also worked under a much, much tighter budget than Clough and yet still managed to find gems like Idiakez, Smith, Bisgaard, Rasiak.

When did Bully fight a relegation battle? he got us up in his first season then got himself the sack by fecking up in the premiership after going on holiday and complaining he had no time i nthe transfer market.

Think I tackled this earlier.It may well be that,after adjusting for wage inflation (and maybe even not) Nigel may have a smaller wage budget than Burley.I certainly don't think that anyone could say definitively that Burley worked on less.

Were they not free transfers?

I think we paid for a couple of those. Anybody confirm???

I don't think the fees are an issue, it is the wages. It is easy for people to be critical of those two players in hindsight, but Porter looked like a good forward prior to his injury while Maguire has just turned out to be a tosser who will end up in the lower leagues.

I only used those two as an example because they cost roughly the same amount as what, I thought, we'd spent on the likes of Idiakez, Raziak, Reich etc.

Think I tackled this earlier.It may well be that,after adjusting for wage inflation (and maybe even not) Nigel may have a smaller wage budget than Burley.I certainly don't think that anyone could say definitively that Burley worked on less.

Emjlc (or what ever his username is) has always said that the players Burley signed were never on very high wages.

He worked for the club during that period, i dont see him having any reason to lie.

Emjlc (or what ever his username is) has always said that the players Burley signed were never on very high wages.

He worked for the club during that period, i dont see him having any reason to lie.

Seem to remember £2k being quoted.You could get several £2k a week players into just £1m of overall wages.The proposition is that experienced players,better than most of the rest,were happy to play on far less money.

Of course the main point is would Burley,if he were around today,be able to sign such players on the level of wages relevant to 04/05? (similar argument for someone of the quality of Tommy Smith).If the answer is no,then you really can't compare Burley and Clough.

Going off topic,because I don't want to start a detailed thread on it,overall wages in 04/05 represented 75% of turnover (£12.305m).Whilst this wasn't sustainable,it's far less than some current clubs. The main damage appeared to be debt charges (interest) coming in at nearly £4m.

Archived