Michael Jacobs progression.

Cobblers

Hi Guys, Northampton Town fan in peace!

I was just curious as to how Crackers is progressing so far. I watched the birmingham game and thought he looked pretty decent (MOTM in my humble opinion). Is he getting plenty of game time?

He used to struggle with his set piece delivery with ourselves, used to always hit the front man! Used to try and do a little to much with the ball sometimes, and didnt track back enough. However that being said was still a fantastic player for us, so im curious to see how hes doing at championship level.

Many Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just curious as to how Crackers is progressing so far. I watched the birmingham game and thought he looked pretty decent (MOTM in my humble opinion). Is he getting plenty of game time?

He used to struggle with his set piece delivery with ourselves, used to always hit the front man! Used to try and do a little to much with the ball sometimes, and didnt track back enough. However that being said was still a fantastic player for us, so im curious to see how hes doing at championship level.

Many Thanks!

He's doing much the same tbh, not great defensively but some of his runs and attacking work are very good, glad to see him in our starting 11, which he's only done for the last few games, otherwise he's come off the bench/unused sub.

Many Thanks!

He's a cracking attacking player, just lets too many crosses come in, but he's still only young, that'll stop by the end of the season.

Many Thanks!

We do have an excellent attacking player on our hands, he's as good as anyone else in our squad with the ball. He's also threatened to put a decent ball in once or twice, which we're not used to with wingers.

It will be very interesting to see the success of the coaching of 'Non-League' Nigel over Aidy Boothroyd, because my goodness does the lad have some work to do defensively. We always look like conceding down the left when he plays, and twice now the LBs behind him have had to virtually defend the left entirely by themselves.

I'd say he's easily going to be Championship standard, and hopefully higher, providing he listens and improves.

Our best player is probably our left-sided attacking player Jamie Ward, who's out injured right now. When he's in the team we always look more likely to create something out of nothing, but it has to be said, when Jacobs gets the ball on the left he always looks like he's about to put the ball in to the box, and his assists-to-game ratio is far superior to Ward's.

Interesting! Sadly he only had 6 months with Aidy, who would most certainly of improved him further defensively. The majority of his time with us was under Gary Johnson who was an absolute nightmare with us. As such as highlighted his tracking back is currently dreadul. You think he is capable of playing above championship level? He can certainly beat a man, although i was shocked to see hes trying to provide service for Connor Sammon! You could of splashed out a little more and bought bayo akinfenwa for that and had a real target man 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Interesting! Sadly he only had 6 months with Aidy, who would most certainly of improved him further defensively. The majority of his time with us was under Gary Johnson who was an absolute nightmare with us. As such as highlighted his tracking back is currently dreadul. You think he is capable of playing above championship level? He can certainly beat a man, although i was shocked to see hes trying to provide service for Connor Sammon! You could of splashed out a little more and bought bayo akinfenwa for that and had a real target man 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I think any half decent Championship player should be looking to play Premier League football at some point in their career. The entire Norwich City midfield has done it, as have many players in the Stoke squad. Time is on his side.

Before anyone stones me to death, can I make it clear that I'm saying Jacobs has potential to play above Championship level. I'm not saying he'd walk into Liverpool's side.

I don't want Akinfenwa, it's cheating, in my opinion football should only be played by humans.

It's his decision making that bugs me, he runs into dead ends quite a lot. I wouldn't mind if he had an idea of what to do when he's there but he hasn't. He refuses to turn around and play the ball back into safer territory, preferring to continue his forward run and losing the ball.

When he does get around his man he's got a sweet right peg for those Arjen Robben style shots (albeit from the other side), he's made plenty of goals in his few starts so that looks good.

Potential, that's about right.

It's his decision making that bugs me, he runs into dead ends quite a lot. I wouldn't mind if he had an idea of what to do when he's there but he hasn't. He refuses to turn around and play the ball back into safer territory, preferring to continue his forward run and losing the ball.

When he does get around his man he's got a sweet right peg for those Arjen Robben style shots (albeit from the other side), he's made plenty of goals in his few starts so that looks good.

Potential, that's about right.

Agree with this, think he lacks brain power. Even he doesnt know what he's about to do, he just seems to run with the ball and hope for the best, which is good in a way as he's very unpredictable. At least he's got the confidence to take a chance, i like that in a player. You see some of these youngsters make a step up and just play the safe option all game.

Reckon he'll be a standard Championship winger in the future.

Needs to learn when to release the ball, sometimes he's made the defender commit and instead of laying the ball off and running on and maybe taking another defender with him, he'll try and beat that defender and then beat another which is great when it works but 80% of the time he's usually tackled by the second man. As said previously needs to work on is defensive duties a bit but that will soon be worked on, Clough will have him out if he doesn't do as he's told! Got a decent shot on him too, shot against Birmingham springs to mind.

Will be a very good player in a year two, maybe just a bit too naive at the moment and lacking experience, but that'll come and he'll be a very competent winger in this league.

good player, plenty of potential.

can see ward getting back in and moving to the left to keep the fish and either tyson and theo in so he will likely lose his spot, but only to fit possibly our best player in.

definitely one for the future if he keeps his head screwed on and working hard.

A bit like Cywka was but he's got a better cross and shot.

Archived