Derby County v Cardiff City

CumbrianRam

As bad as Theo is and as good the form Nathan Tyson seems to be in I didn't mind Theo staying on. He was kept on for one reason only and it came in the end. Fox in the box, 4 yards out, cheers guys. Yeah he messes up every other attack we have but you can't knock him for being in the right place at the right time. Mystifies me but at the same time pleases me.

Nice move for the goal, I thought Sammon's bit of work for the goal was nice to see as much of his knock downs and lay offs to others don't end with anything productive, that one is right in the limelight.

I'm not too disappointed, when I look back at previous results and see where we have "thrown away" or "lost" points, this won't be one of the games. It's the games like Wednesday, Peterborough and Burnley that annoy me.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

am I the only one who thinks Coutts is quite good?

the Ben Davies comparison is fine, but Ben can't beat a man like Coutts does, his free kicks are also dissapointing.

I like Coutts and I think his assists this season might tell another story to all these doubters.

Theo Robinson is an enigma. His goals suggest he should play, his general contribution suggests hes not fit to train with the academy. I've never known a player like him.

Last night was disappointing purely because of the opportunity we found ourselves in - 11 vs 10 at home. 2 points lost in my view, we're now rooted midtable with some very tricky fixtures coming up, leaving me looking below rather than up for the forseeable. Fingers crossed we turn our away day blues around.

Good result in my opinion, its not like Clough didn't go for it when it was 1-1, it was just a lack of firepower, maybe a little tiredness after the Birmingham game as well.

Theo Robinson doesn't do it for me, me and my mate got so frustrated and we're not heart by heart Derby fans either. We liked Brayford, Hughes looks like a great little player at such a raw age of 17. He reminds me of Graham Dorrans who was superb in the Championship.

Sammon has pleasantly surprised me ever since I started going earlier in the season, just needs to score more goals.

Next game: Leeds United! Should be fun!

Theo Robinson is an enigma. His goals suggest he should play, his general contribution suggests hes not fit to train with the academy. I've never known a player like him.

Last night was disappointing purely because of the opportunity we found ourselves in - 11 vs 10 at home. 2 points lost in my view, we're now rooted midtable with some very tricky fixtures coming up, leaving me looking below rather than up for the forseeable. Fingers crossed we turn our away day blues around.

an enigma is the word, the chances he had even against brum where he missed gloriously, but the commentator on Ramsplayer summed him up best for me last night after he scored, ' Theo again......He's deadly from a yard!' 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

the Ben Davies comparison is fine, but Ben can't beat a man like Coutts does, his free kicks are also dissapointing.

I like Coutts and I think his assists this season might tell another story to all these doubters.

I also think Coutts is quite good, probably very good in truth. He is always talking and organising the midfield and has had an influence in the majority of goals scored since he arrived. In the main his dead ball delivery is good, especially corners and whilst sometimes guilty of getting caught in possession it's usually 'cause he won't just pass just to get rid of the ball. All in all, I think he's had a positive impact on the team and is a major influence in the team trying to play the ball to feet ! For £150,000 he is looking like the bargain of the year

Me to, but then again what do we know compared to all these FM experts :-)

If Cardiff are the benchmark, then we have absolutely nothing to fear in this league.

Tonight was so frustrating and even though we drew, it felt like a defeat because Cardiff deserved nothing from the game. We weren't brilliant but on the balance of play, we more than deserved to win.

From the first minute, they were only interested in frustrating us and nicking something on the break. Credit where it's due though, they executed this strategy almost perfectly - pressing, closing down, slowing the game down and disrupting our rhythm at every opportunity - but I guess I expected more from them. They were organised, disciplined and shrewd. But a good footballing side? Not on this evidence. Even more frustrating is that it wasn't even as though they had to work hard to score. The goal was a complete gift.

Brayford was my man of the match. Many of our attacks start from him carrying the ball out of defence and having confidence to venture into the opposing half. He gives us real impetus down the right. The cross for the equaliser was the only good thing Bryson did all night. Similarly too for Robinson and his goal. Sammon had another tough night but played his part in the goal to his credit too.

Hughes was constantly trying to make things happen but sometimes can be on a completely different wavelength to the rest. Coutts needs to show more positional discipline. Either he's a central midfielder or a winger. He needs to make his mind up. It ruins our shape and stunts our momentum at times. You'd see Brayford bombing forward and looking for a pass and his only option was all too often Theo.

Keogh and Buxton didn't handle Bellamy and Helguson at all well. Helguson was winning everything in the air and there were a few times where one of them went for a snooze and let them in for a rare opportunity. The goal and Bellamy's chance that he blazed over the bar springs to mind. And well Legdzins never seemed to recover from the goal. I think he just misjudged the flight of Hudson's header and probably expected it to go over the bar. He almost gifted them a second too when he wasn't sure whether to come and claim a long ball.

Overall, I'm disappointed. It should have been three points.

I think Coutts knows his position. That was clearly a tactical change last night to put Coutts in the middle and Theo out on the wing.

It's weird. Some rate him and the weird bit is that some not only don't rate him, they say he's poor. I've never known a player to have such a divided opinion.

Even Theo, some love him for his goals, some think his poor play costs us. But nobody will say he's anything like a complete forward.

I really rate Coutts. For his arrogance on the ball. For his lack of fear. He doesnt 'get rid of it' like it's a bomb.

I hate his set pieces though. Takes too many attempts to get a good ball in.

I hate players trying to 'whip' a ball in if they can't beat the first man. I'd rather see it hung up like Hughes and Ward do.

Not beating the first man from a dead ball for a bloke who's paid thousands per week should carry the death penalty.

It's weird. Some rate him and the weird bit is that some not only don't rate him, they say he's poor. I've never known a player to have such a divided opinion.

Even Theo, some love him for his goals, some think his poor play costs us. But nobody will say he's anything like a complete forward.

I really rate Coutts. For his arrogance on the ball. For his lack of fear. He doesnt 'get rid of it' like it's a bomb.

I hate his set pieces though. Takes too many attempts to get a good ball in.

I hate players trying to 'whip' a ball in if they can't beat the first man. I'd rather see it hung up like Hughes and Ward do.

Not beating the first man from a dead ball for a bloke who's paid thousands per week should carry the death penalty.

Maybe the death penalty would be a bit harsh, but should certainly be poked with a sharp stick.

I am most definitely in the pro Coutts sector. He works his socks off for the team and is comfortable on the ball. John Brayford must love having him in the team with the way that Coutts creates the spaces for him.

HIs dead ball work can be improved on, but I am sure that he knows that and will be working on it.

I think Coutts knows his position. That was clearly a tactical change last night to put Coutts in the middle and Theo out on the wing.

Indeed, it was probably a tactical change last night to try and keep Cardiff guessing because you'd often find Bryson too out on the right close to the touchline receiving the ball where you'd expect Coutts to be.

But I think Coutts is inclined to drift further infield even when it's not a tactical move because he's naturally a central midfielder. I'm all for free roles and fluidity but I think that only works if you have players that are comfortable in different positions and sure Coutts is adept at that but I'm not sure others in the team are quite as comfortable.

For the record, I think Coutts has been a great signing. I love how confident he is with the ball at his feet and that he is always trying to make things happen and my gripe over his positioning is far outweighed by all the positives he brings to the side.

Brayford is better than Coutts. Pundits always claim Brayford to be the best right back in the league. Therefor if Coutts continues to play the ball at and behind Brayford when he is making a run forward and take the ball off Brayford's feet when he runs forward with the ball, he should be dropped. You don't have to be a good player to get the best out of Brayford.

My ratings:

Legzdins 4 - What he had to do he didn't do very well, kicking was average, the goal was terrible, and he could of conceded another howler when he came for the cross that he didn't get too, poor display by him.

Brayford 7 - Although partly responsible for the goal, the header was a poor one, that the goalkeeper should of dealt with better. Very good going forward, like having a second winger.

Keogh 6 - Lost a few headers with Helguson, but distribution was good.

Buxton 5 - Same as Keogh, but weaker distribution

O'Connor 6 - Got down the left hand side well, but unlike Brayford can't take on a man, but stood in well.

Coutts 6 - Again loses the ball a bit to often, but I think that comes down to him always wanting to attack, links up well with Brayford. Set-peices poor.

Bryson 6 - Not his usual self, but ran tirelessly.

Hughes 6 - Again tried to dictate play, but struggled with a lack of movement up front, had a tough time with Bellamy coming deep to try and keep him quiet. Stamina has improved massively since the opening games.

Jacobs 5 - Similar to Coutts, always trying to take on players, and 1/2 the times it works, other times it doesn't, did well to work an opening, but his shot was wild!

Sammon 7 - Actually impressed me today, may be from the confidence of his earlier goals, but had a decent touch, held the ball up well, and played a few decent passes onto overlapping players.

Robinson 5 - Poor, but scores.

Hendrick N/A - Slowed the play down a bit, may be due to confidence

Tyson - Unlucky to have a header cleared off the line, works tirelessly, would be tempted to start him over Robinson

Roberts - Hope he's back for Saturday, Leicester are going to be a tough challenge, and we need a natural LB.

given that bavies couldnt get past the first man either then theyre equal. i prefer coutts due to his driving runs forward and his more dangerous passing ability.

i was very impressed with the whole team in the first half on saturday, they played brum off the park and their first time touches and passing was superb.more of this please, and yes if theo could shoot he'd be dangerous.

Coutts can also play in the middle really effectively as well.

I like him - he's more of a traditional winger than Davies. He can beat a man, stick a ball in. With Davies I feel like his set piece ability kind of carries him a bit. I like him but without his set pieces, he wouldn't be much more than a bog standard League One player.

The biggest positive this season for me is seeing how well Brayford and Coutts link up down the right.

Archived