Derby County v Birmingham City

CumbrianRam

what i dont get is this whole thing about its okay that sammon dosent score enough goals?

In many games he has ended up with just him self up front 451 and if he isnt scoring who is.Its not okay to say the midfielders get them but then he isnt a striker hes a midfielder.we might aswell play the spain euro formation 460.Theo for me is a confusing one if he converted half the chances he created i have no doubt he would be playing in the prem.He is amazing at getting into posistions but blasts it over or has a heavy touch.

Sammon was the one who gave the ball away the most not coutts.He has a worst touch than theo and if hes not scoring and cant hold the ball up then what is he doing.I wouldnt mind it if we got him cheap or a free transfer but F***king hell 1.2million inwhich we can only manage to pay it over 2 years is ridiculous.Callum ball is a centre forward who is also apparently crap so why get a replica.

What I also never get with some managers is why when a club has ambitions of playing the prem buy players who are rejects from clubs in the prem.The reason they are rejects is because they are not good enough look at the qpr disaster.DId anyone else already know or hear that sammon had only scored 2 goals in 44 games previous to his 2 to day.Forget torres.Sammon should hang up his boots wtf 2 goals in 44 games thats embarassing.

Nigel clough end of last season "We need to get a striker who can score goals".

After buying sammon "He will be a real handful and good at this level"

two weeks a go "We knew he wasnt going to be prolific"

1.2m WTF

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bet Sammon was gutted Tyson was in front of him. I've no doubt he would have tapped that last goal in just behind Tyson. Could have been our first league hatrick in donkeys years. And would have been extremely ironic, given how average / poor (depending on which post I read) he was.

Especially as, when he doesn't score, it's okay cos he's there to hold the ball up, not score goals. When he does score he gets criticised. Well his contribution as a ball holder upper is appreciated, but if he can start putting away two a match from now on, he can spend the rest of the match with his thumb up his arse for all I care. Not sure what my point is, but I think, in summary, well done Connor.

Two goals in two seasons before he came to Derby. He was never going to score for fun after playing very little football, I mean we have given our other strikers a lot of time and patience the last few seasons so why not Connor? Is it how much he cost? Or do people really think he's *****?

Edit: Looks like my answer is above 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

What so cos Nigel Clough gave all this to him he must be good? Cos Clough is never wrong?

His overall goal record just makes it even stranger that he's on a good wage and playing in the Championship.

Based on his entire career up till now, we can assume he's never gunna be a goal scorer, even Clough himself said after the game he's not a goal scorer. So for him to be useful other parts of his game need to be very good, yet his ball control is poor, so all he's offering the side are physical attributes.

No, not because Nigel did anything. He obviously brings something to the table or else he wouldn't be playing at this level. He'd of never of got the rave reviews in Scotland, tempted a PL club to part with money for him. He wouldn't have lasted 32 appearences in the PL either if he was shizer! Clough's record with players is far from perfect no, in May or in a year or 2 this signing could be one of his worst ones, who knows.

He is a goal scorer, just not a prolific one. If he went 46 odd games without a goal, yeah, **** him off, but he's not going to. He'll chip in with a ok amount of goals. I think he'll get 10 or so, which is about average for a striker. Probably an alright amount for a non-prolific striker like Sammon too. Would these free players who could do his job do the same? It's not a great amount of goals but your talking about the second tier of English football, ex and current England international defenders and keepers. It's a very good standard of football in the English pyramid and to say you could find freebies, half athletic people or who ever to do his job is ignorant really, because you couldn't. If you could, you'd probably have a job in football, but I doubt you have with claims like that.

It's not all about physical attributes either. His movement is far better than anything we have, he wins a fair share of headers and holds up plenty of balls, I do agree with you about first touch though - Theo-esque. I think if we had a strike partner who appreciates the flick ons and runs (off the ball) he makes then we'd appreciate him alot more. He's had a hard time here so far and things on the whole haven't been going his way. He's not done enough in some games, he's not won enough headers etc but when he has he hasn't had the support.

With a striker like Sammon you have to have players around him, when he's isolated (like last week at Palace) he's dog **** because his control and ball retention isn't good enough to fend off the ball long enough for our midfielders to travel 40 yards. Our midfielders got up more today and with 2 up top he's got plenty of options and played much better than last week.

I don't think he's a world beater and I don't think he's worth 1.2 million but he's good enough for this level. The price tag brings expectations which in a way is a little unfair (and naive) on the player. We've got pace, we've got goals, we needed a striker in the Sammon mold. 1.2 million is a lot of money for us to spend, Nigel obviously has been an admirer for a while and whether he could have brought someone in or someone would have even wanted to come is another story. Unfortunately unless you find a gem in the lower leagues then you end up paying over the top prices for average footballers.

I'm of the thinking that there is no way he was worth 1.2 million, but sod it he's here now and at the time we were desperate and us fans were like a group of crack addicts with no crack. Give him a chance, it's unlikely Nige is gonna drop him and there's 28 games left, lets see how he gets on.

Buxton was poor, would have preferred O'Connor.

Sammon was good, took his goal well, got the rub of the green from the first one.

The FLS comments were a little daft though.. King complaining about being outmuscled by Will Hughes? Just made my dislike for Moron King greater. We see worse happening in the goalmouth with nothing coming from it, so why would something far away from the run of play get a look in?

Buxton was poor!? Thought he was class against a very big man in Zigic!

O'Connor would have got beaten all ends up against him today.

I don't think Sammon's control is that poor. His dribbling with the ball isn't great and he is poor in the air for his size. What he does well is all around laying the ball off to others in the opposition's box. He gets more opportunity to do this when we are at home. He is not a player you can fire long balls at and he seems to lack the goalscorer's determination to throw himself at any half chance. We put some good balls into the box yesterday and neither he nor Theo were busting a gut to get on the end of them.I think Clough has exactly what he thought he was buying and is probably more disappointed in Theo and co for not supporting him more in away games.

I thought we were a bit lucky yesterday. Having played well in the first half we seemed to lose concentration and we looked decidedly shaky when Brum ran at us. We have a great attacking midfield now but they are not so good in defence. I thought Jacobs was excellent and that Coutts and Brayford again linked up well.Hughes played some clever passes and Bryson, for him, was poor.

Don't think people should have a go at Theo and Sammon as much as they do. They do put in allot of work. What we are missing is not their fault and I put it down to Clough's tactics and approach play. The midfielders pass the ball sideways, backwards and play it out wide when the opening and space is in front of them in the middle of the pitch.

Every so often we see a midfielder exploit this space in the middle and see a solid defensive opposition look like headless chickens as they do not know who should be marking who, who should be trying to get the ball off the advancing midfielder etc. Hughes shot near the end is one example.

Jacobs is a great player and I think that he does incredibly well for someone who is clearly not playing in the right position. With that right foot of his he should be playing out on the right if we want first time crosses. If we want to encourage him to have shots then he should play behind the two strikers as an attacking midfielder in the center. He should start the next game and if in the future we are struggling to get a goal, changing his position could easily lead to one.

He was left standing for King's effort that hit the crossbar, and was poor for their second.

Seeing as we're on that point, the thing that really annoyed me about their second was that in the build up, Jacobs had the chance to win the ball, it was a challenge that looked 60 - 40 in his favour, he either bottled or misjudged it, allowed their man to cross and the ball's in the net. Wouldn't blame the defender, it was an excellent header by Lovenkrands. But the defence would have a good argument to say the ball should not have been played in from that angle.

That's not a stab at Jacobs particularly, he was excellent going forward and derby's best player yesterday for large parts of the game, it's great to see an old fashioned winger just running at his full back, but like at palace last week, he needs to learn the defensive part of his game.

2 goals from Sammon will hopefully do his confidence in front of goal the world of good.

Buxton was terrible for the second game running. O'Connor or O'Brien on Tuesday please. Also agree with Tyson for Robinson. Having said that, you don't change a winning team do you?

1.2million for a striker and he doesn't score every game!?!? And someone mentions Cox, who went isnt scoring is doing **** all for the team... Now Sammon has as many goals as him, as well as being a better all round team player...etc

Sammon is one of our best players, probably our most integral player... If he got injured we would be ******!

1.2million is **** all, just about EVERY championship side possibly bar Barnsley has a striker who cost as much, or if signed on a free a RACK of wages and there isn't many at all I would swap it for...

I still don't rate Sammon, especially as a million + signing. We don't have that clinical finisher and personally I'd be thinking of Tyson instead of Theo up top. But that said I thought we played well for most of yesterday's game. The first half I thought we were brilliant. We did everything I had moaned we hadn't been doing. We passed it, we kept it and we didn't panic when we got in their half. With a better finisher up front we may have had more than 1 goal at half time, that said clear cut chances we slim but I put that down to lack of movement and good outlets for the midfielders to use. Jacobs was class first half as well and Brayford was brilliant at getting forward.

2nd half, at first we reverted back to what I hate, the type of play where everyone stays in our half and its hit long in panic to nobody. We didn't stay playing that way thankfully but it concerned me that we didn't pick up where we had finished the first half. I even agreed with the subs that were made.

Lets hope we keep the first half style up. Play like that more often than not and we could,and its a big could, be around the top 6 come the end of the season.

Archived