Derby County v Birmingham City

CumbrianRam

Your the one who's been using stats for 18 games to say our strike force isn't good.

If you take out the disasterous Palace and peterborough games we are on 20 goals from 18 games - which would be less than the 50 goals from 44 games from last season you mention.

That doesn't make sense.. Take out those games and you've got 20 from 16.. 20 from 16 is 1.25 a game.. The 50 from 44 is 1.13 goals a game..

Either way you look at it, from the first 18 games of this season in comparison to last season defensively we're worse off..

In general 26 goals conceded in 18 is 1.44 a game.. 58 goals in 46 is 1.26 goals a game.. Defensively this season we don't seem as strong as last season.. Of course, this can change over the next 28 games..

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't make sense.. Take out those games and you've got 20 from 16.. 20 from 16 is 1.25 a game.. The 50 from 44 is 1.13 goals a game..

Either way you look at it, from the first 18 games of this season in comparison to last season defensively we're worse off..

I worked on 18 games because I forgot to take the two off.

But like you say last season out defense got better after the 18 game mark - it wasn't more solid at the start. So at the moment our defense us 2 goals better than last season at the same point.

last year in that first 18 games we had a pointless November.

This year we are ahead of where we were in points and goals scored and goals conceded I believe. Improvement all over.

Sammon does a decent enough job at this level with his power and energy. Never going to be the most gifted goal scorer though. Said to my Ipswich supporting freinds at the start of the season i would love to see that Chris Wood (who's on loan from WBA to Millwall) at Derby and now he's smashing them in. Big lad who has potential to be a 20+ a season at this level and is only 20.

let's wait and see with Sammon i think he is improving every game and at home when played with another striker, he is a key player. I think we would see him playing better with a striker that can read him. Would love to have a Billy Sharp/Sammon partnership.

Yep, a strike force that is part of a side that has scored 7 goals away from home this season.

To be fair, it seems that you having seen us predominantly at home are seeing far more positive signs than me, who has predominantly seen us away where we've generally been poor.

Aye, this is exactly what I was getting at.

I only really go to home games, with the occasional away game - and for my money, only seeing him at home he has been a very good signing, away from home I've heard things to go against that, points that coincide with your views.

We seem to be a completely different side at home, than away. I don't rush around the country for away games, on the basis that I have very little belief when we're on the road it's almost as if given into the loss before the match has kicked off, and i'm going saturday but I'm not expecting anything from it - I doubt anyone is.

to sum up, i've seen around 50% of the games this season - Sammon has looked like one of our best players when i've watched him. I must be his lucky charm. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Aye, this is exactly what I was getting at.

I only really go to home games, with the occasional away game - and for my money, only seeing him at home he has been a very good signing, away from home I've heard things to go against that, points that coincide with your views.

We seem to be a completely different side at home, than away. I don't rush around the country for away games, on the basis that I have very little belief when we're on the road it's almost as if given into the loss before the match has kicked off, and i'm going saturday but I'm not expecting anything from it - I doubt anyone is.

to sum up, i've seen around 50% of the games this season - Sammon has looked like one of our best players when i've watched him. I must be his lucky charm. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

negative football away from home

negative football away from home

I just posted in another thread - about this 'negative' football away from home - it's like people genuinely believe Clough goes in to the away dressing room and says ''you know that goal scoring ********, forget that - go for the draw''

I'll finger my pisser until next christmas i that is the case - the reasons behind a poor away record is the players, they just don't have the confidence away from home, unless it's a big game - then we almost guarantee to show up and collect all 3 points.

I just posted in another thread - about this 'negative' football away from home - it's like people genuinely believe Clough goes in to the away dressing room and says ''you know that goal scoring ********, forget that - go for the draw''

I'll finger my pisser until next christmas i that is the case - the reasons behind a poor away record is the players, they just don't have the confidence away from home, unless it's a big game - then we almost guarantee to show up and collect all 3 points.

But that comes from the top, it seems as if Nigel has no faith that we can go and get 3 points and decides to go negative. Even at home, 2nd half vs Brum, something must have been said because there was a massive difference in the style of play from the first half, until brum scored and the game became more open

But that comes from the top, it seems as if Nigel has no faith that we can go and get 3 points and decides to go negative. Even at home, 2nd half vs Brum, something must have been said because there was a massive difference in the style of play from the first half, until brum scored and the game became more open

How much effect can a manager have on a half time team talk? why would Nigel say 'stop playing so well'? At the end of the day, we must of all played football at some level in the past - sometimes you're that much sharper, and aware... other times you can't seem to make a simple 5 yard pass, it will be the same in the professional game - a manager team talk, is just that... a analysis on the half, and what you're expected to do in the second - whether the players actually do it or not is another story, but I bet of all the things Nigel asks of his players before the game, during the game, after the game...etc only half will actually happen, the other half will get forgotten.

And it's not as simple as 'score more goals' 'concede less goals' 'play better' - Nigel seems to trust his players, home and away - but unless it's the big 2 (leeds and forest) where we're almost guaranteed a win - we're poor away from home... the players have got to shoulder the blame - them not performing is the reason for us not winning, regadless if they're asked to play 2-7-1, it's the performance that will win you games.

And I think against Birmingham second half, it was nothing more than Birmingham stepping up in the second half and being more competitive with us, rather than us slowing the tempo down.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Towards the end of Saturday's match my mind went back to a certain boxing day when Me, Dad & Mo55y saw quite a good match!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlQrcD2fa-c&feature=related

Can we have a player like Gemmill for Christmas this year please Santa! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

BTW watch it on Youtube. It WILL be worth it!

How much effect can a manager have on a half time team talk? why would Nigel say 'stop playing so well'? At the end of the day, we must of all played football at some level in the past - sometimes you're that much sharper, and aware... other times you can't seem to make a simple 5 yard pass, it will be the same in the professional game - a manager team talk, is just that... a analysis on the half, and what you're expected to do in the second - whether the players actually do it or not is another story, but I bet of all the things Nigel asks of his players before the game, during the game, after the game...etc only half will actually happen, the other half will get forgotten.

And it's not as simple as 'score more goals' 'concede less goals' 'play better' - Nigel seems to trust his players, home and away - but unless it's the big 2 (leeds and forest) where we're almost guaranteed a win - we're poor away from home... the players have got to shoulder the blame - them not performing is the reason for us not winning, regadless if they're asked to play 2-7-1, it's the performance that will win you games.

And I think against Birmingham second half, it was nothing more than Birmingham stepping up in the second half and being more competitive with us, rather than us slowing the tempo down.

If it was a one off then you would have a point, but it's been like this away from home for Cloughs entire time here except for brief spells where we've looked half decent.

The manager has got to take responsibility for that. This is one of the key reasons why I have little faith in Clough, he doesnt learn.

'Einstein: Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'

Just rewatched the highlights. Why on earth was the tussle between Hughes and King discussed on the FLS (in the runup to the second goal)? It's such a non-issue. I can understand with the first goal, as it arguably shouldn't have been given, but haven't they got more important things to talk about? Or does Marlon King feel comfortable in the knowledge that he got outmuscled by a 17 year old?

No doubt if it was a Leicester goal, they'd spend ten minutes blowing their beans over it.

Just rewatched the highlights. Why on earth was the tussle between Hughes and King discussed on the FLS (in the runup to the second goal)? It's such a non-issue. I can understand with the first goal, as it arguably shouldn't have been given, but haven't they got more important things to talk about? Or does Marlon King feel comfortable in the knowledge that he got outmuscled by a 17 year old?

No doubt if it was a Leicester goal, they'd spend ten minutes blowing their beans over it.

i saw that too and it p****ed me off when there were far more interesting and relevant events in the game to talk about. Also if I knew nothing about derby or of Hughes then I would think dirty team and dirty player which isn't fair on either. It was a strange snipe at derby from FLS and I agree that some teams seem to get preferable treatment.

Archived