Paul Clement in talks?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to a statement from Mr Morris, it will be interesting to see if he is a ivory tower type owner or will respect the fans and their desire for transparency, especially with our turbulent past with owners.

So we're thinking of paying a huge f*** off fee to a manager/'head coach' who is one of the best in the Championship, and has built a tremendous side and plans to add to it - to potentially lose out on our 'main target'. This seems absolutely ludacrous. There better be a bloody brilliant plan...

He didn't build this side, Clough did.

He didn't build this side, Clough did.

​Think it's irrelevant who built the side in all honestly. Nobody remembers that Guardiola won the treble with Rijkaard's team, or that Mourinho won the Premier League with Claudio Ranieri's team.

​Think it's irrelevant who built the side in all honestly. Nobody remembers that Guardiola won the treble with Rijkaard's team, or that Mourinho won the Premier League with Claudio Ranieri's team

It is very relevant if you are using it to justify keeping McClaren. His signings have been pretty average at best so far. 

It is very relevant if you are using it to justify keeping McClaren. His signings have been pretty average at best so far. 

​As have his game tactics on the whole. And his defensive coaching.

The two things that stand out for me that he appeared to bring were

a) squad togetherness in his first year - don't foget how we had George Thorne joiing partly on this basis

b) good quality loans that really had a tremendous impact in both our seasons with him.

He's a bit of a proverbial curates egg isn't he?

I was listening to a reporter on talksport,who said the Brentford job is weird

The owner wants to pick players on % of lots of different things ,and the manager is contacted throughout the game ,by a statistician ,who informs the manager what to say at half time

Watch 'Moneyball' if you haven't already, pretty much sums up the approach Brentford want to take. We're a different proposition, the head coach will have a big/hopefully overall say on transfers, supported by Evans/Rush and others

Watch 'Moneyball' if you haven't already, pretty much sums up the approach Brentford want to take. We're a different proposition, the head coach will have a big/hopefully overall say on transfers, supported by Evans/Rush and others

Baseball is a game based on statistics though. You can read a baseball box score and pretty much know exactly how a game went. Footballs nothing like that. 

"Talks" is a loose term for the interview process.

Prospective candidates are thrown into a pit where they have to fight a combination of wild boars, lynx, wolverines and Jake Buxton whilst Mel and Rush watch drinking shots of wormwood infused alcohol. #IKN

only one will survive.

Bucko wasn't playing the end of the season as he was on his warrior's path training. OK i made the last bit up.

He's already got the job if you google him.

Paul Clement is an English football coach. He is currently working at English Championship club Derby County FC, As manager. Clement has also previously worked for Real Madrid, Ancelotti at Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain. Wikipedia
Born: May 5, 1972 (age 43), Wandsworth, London
Team coached: Real Madrid C.F. (Assistant Coach, 2013–2014)

Baseball is a game based on statistics though. You can read a baseball box score and pretty much know exactly how a game went. Footballs nothing like that. 

I agree, and I'm not saying Brentford are right or sensible taking this approach. It's wise to take into account players strengths and weaknesses, but most good scouts and coaches can do this without a % sheet

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Watford. 

Why come here, what can we offer that is  more appealing than premier league football??

It may be that the possibility of stability and a little bit of time might attract him.

maybe he will look how long our fans gave clough, accepting mediocrity, the youth academy and facilities.

we may not be in the premiership, but we are also outside the goldfish bowl of the media there. Imagine he didnt win in his first 5 games in the premiership..... They would be on him from the every start.

It may be that the possibility of stability and a little bit of time might attract him.

maybe he will look how long our fans gave clough, accepting mediocrity, the youth academy and facilities.

we may not be in the premiership, but we are also outside the goldfish bowl of the media there. Imagine he didnt win in his first 5 games in the premiership..... They would be on him from the every start.

Fair point

Archived