Johnny Russell

Ramchope

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson was last night locked in talks to finalise the deal that would see Johnny Russell join Derby County.

The clubs are understood to have agreed a fee for the coveted player with the Rams’ third offer of close to £750,000 being accepted by the Tangerines chief.

However, the fine details are still being thrashed out and, as things stand, Russell, who scored 20 times last season, remains a United player.

Even if agreement is reached between the clubs, there are still several hurdles to overcome before he can be unveiled at Pride Park.

Russell is abroad on holiday but would have to return to undergo a medical, then he and his representative John Viola would have to thrash out personal terms with Derby.

Of course, the 22-year-old, who has a year left on his contract at Tannadice, may ultimately decide not to join the English Championship side, especially if a late bid came in from long-term suitors Celtic.

Russell was also linked earlier this season with a move to Italy after Serie A outfit Catania made three bids for the player.

He is open to a foreign move, saying just last month: “I think if anything I’d prefer to go abroad. When do you ever see a Scottish player going abroad?

“I’d like to maybe go and show that the view they’ve got on Scottish football is inaccurate.” - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-united/derby-county-and-dundee-united-still-talking-johnny-russell-1.99427?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just hope after 76 pages he's not ****.

To be fair. At least 59 and three quarters of those pages are Curtains posting articles, videos, the same article over and over and general comments of doom and gloom and/or jubilation ;-)

I hope it's tied up quickly for Curtains sake, he can't take much more!!! but I could just as easily see it dragging on, I was sure i'd read somewhere that the manager is on holiday until June 17th?

New to this forum here! Hello.

Been following the post for a few days now. Days meaning weeks of course.. this is taking far too long but the posts lift my spirits!

Russell sign. NOW.

That's how Rush should approach him.  

On a serious note.. he seems to be quite a firey little bugger in his (probably self-made) Youtube videos. I can imagine him and Wardy being great partners. Wardy on the wing of course.

Now lets wrap this deal up.

Well, curtains is going vertical over all this, he's got transfer blind ness. He needs to tie things back a bit before he has a black out, and get some of his old swag ger back that used to have.

Gather yourself Curtains, it's not long before your trip to Italy.

You really need that venetian holiday.

Said on RD this morning that Russell would like to play abroad but our bid is higher than the Italian clubs.

I'll carry on watchin this space then.

England can technically be seen as 'abroad'  :ph34r:  :lol:

I just fear the fan backlash if he doesn't sign, really do! I think it would make it worse for GSE in the long term, because to turn the tide it's going to need perhaps a bigger named striker - Derby are trying to cover things up, and being secretive about it and I think it's genuinely down to them being about as confident as I am banging Megan Fox about actually signing him (much like Baptiste) 

I will wait to see what happens, but the longer we leave it the more chance other clubs could chip in - I don't think the championship is a 'buying' league so we don't have to worry to much about teams around us (perhaps 2 or 3, but nothing we can't compete with) Celtic are the obvious rivals, but, we're two different clubs with two different positives - I believe we've shown more than enough to warrant him looking at us seriously, we've chased him for a year for feck sake  :lol:

I will wait, but if Russell doesn't sign after all this - the mood will be a lot worse than if we didn't move on him at all (that's football) and therefore will take more than a james vaughan to turn the fans back round, may even take a 'Billy Sharp' 

I have the fear over this one now

Looking at this Johhny Viola's webpage – he's a Scottish agent dealing almost exclusively with Scottish clubs, so he will be well known by Celtic

However – this quote might hold the key:

"The first major transfer I was involved in was in 1992 when Ray McKinnon moved from Dundee United to Nottingham Forest for £750,000. Brian Clough, the Forest manager at that time, was not at the meeting at the City Ground I attended. He was on holiday in Majorca and conducted negotiations in his typically brusque manner on the phone. "

Archived