Apathy....

danthebeast

....is, in my opinion, the reason for so many of the negative reactions to last nights result and to the start of our season in general.

Let's take a look at our league positions at the end of the last few seasons since we got embarrassed in the Prem shall we...

Year

2008-09 18th

2009-10 14th

2010-11 19th

2011-12 12th

Lets be honest, It's poor. Yes there's reason's for it (a massive change around in players, culling of the wage budget etc...) and I know we had a bit of a cup run in 2008-09 but in the league where it matters were a mid-table side.

An average Championship side. Depressing aint it?

Were not going up, but were not going down either. Before the start of the last 2 seasons we've all kinda known that we'd finish between 8th and 18th and it's lead to an apathy amongst us. Just look at the crowd that turned out for the first home league fixture this season compared to other season's..

2008-09 v Doncaster 33,010 (3,136 away fans)

2009-10 v Peterborough 33,010 (Can't find a record of how many away fan's )

2010-11 v Cardiff 25,103 (896 away fan's)

2011-12 v Birmingham 27,210 (4,015 away fan's)

Dropping steeply the last few year's and we all know what happened a couple of week's ago against Wendy's.....

27,437 and around 6000 away fan's. Were now only getting 21,000 of our fans bothering to turn up for our opening home game. Why??

Because there's no excitement about Derby nowaday's.

Yes we've had some exciting games, scoring goals and leaking goals for fun but the main fact remains. The casual Derby fan isn't going to bother to turn up because were stuck in mid-table Championship purgatory, and that's not likely to change whilst Nigel Clough's in charge and our current owners own us.

So they lash out when we lose a game, they want change because they want something to happen at Derby. There's no real reason to expect somebody else other than Clough to lead us on a promotion charge, especially with the budget he has to deal with. And getting rid after he's steadied the sinking ship, done countless work behind the scenes on our youth development system and built a young, hungry squad seem's rash and stupid to me. If we improve slightly in league position this year and some of your younger players come on then I'll be happy. But still people cry CLOUGH OUT!! YANKS OUT!!!

Ah Yank's out.... forgetting the fact that I don't really like calling our owners 'Yank's' I do wonder what these fan's want instead?? Owner's like Man City have?? Keep dreaming. A local boy done good who know's what it mean's to us?? Sound's good on paper but we've tried it before and we ended up with a MASSIVE wage bill, in the championship after the lowest Prem points total ever.

Trying to remain financially prudent isn't sexy and doesn't get your heart racing BUT it certainly makes sure there's still a club to watch every Saturday (and Tuesday, and Friday, even Wednesday's on the odd occasion).Sometimes the heart can lead the head astray.

And that bring's me neatly to my main point. When apathy at a situation set's in you tend to want change. Bored of your 9-5 and job and life with the wife and kid's?? Have an affair!!! Quit your Job!!! But sometimes that change isn't always for the better and as slow, monotonous and boring as it may seem maybe the current path your on is, just maybe, the right one. At the moment that's the belief I have.

With all of the above being said if were bottom come October 1st and fresh off a hammering from Forest I'll be at the front of the queue wanting change as well!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

UP THE RAM'S!!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit! Won't let me edit it but I've written "the heart and lead the head astray" instead of the heart can lead the head astray. probably not the only mistake but it's the one that's bugging me.

In fact the whole post's riddled with spelling and grammatical error's, I guess that's what happen's when you just type off the top of your head. Lol.

Dammit! Won't let me edit it but I've written "the heart and lead the head astray" instead of the heart can lead the head astray. probably not the only mistake but it's the one that's bugging me.

In fact the whole post's riddled with spelling and grammatical error's, I guess that's what happen's when you just type off the top of your head. Lol.

Syntax Error 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

The majority of fans probably not excited, but I am (for the most part) I think this season we will be positive in terms of attacking teams, we have a very good young squad - who perhaps aren't ready just yet but hopefully they can grow together and we can actually watch a bunch of hard working honest lads fight for the badge.

Football is a dead sport - results are the only demand now which is a shame and I don't agree with that - that is why I don't mind having a little bit of sentiment around the club, makes me feel we're trying to keep a little bit of nostalgia in a sport that has long forgotten it's morals.

The Premier League is a lot to blame.

I have watched three games on the box this season, everyone of them very, very good, then you watch the Championship, and boy what a load of crap most of it is, not just us, most of it.

That's the problem, we expect too much.

I have watched three games on the box this season, everyone of them very, very good, then you watch the Championship, and boy what a load of crap most of it is, not just us, most of it.

I agree - I watched Leeds and Wolves and thought how poor that looks, perhaps I watch us through rose tinted specs but we can really knock the ball round quite well, but what we tend to do that A LOT of other sides don't is have an industrial side to their game. I watched Leeds and they're totally lacking quality all over the place, there is only Ross Mack who can pick the ball up and run with it, the rest of them are athletes, industrial, hard working players... we have enough players who can do the nice things about football, but not many who can do the dirty things.

Agree with that, the quality attacking plays don't play in the Championship. Also much as some of us moan at Clough for his negative mindset, most teams in this league are the same. Makes for a lot of sterile, dull matches.

"Trying to remain financially prudent isn't sexy and doesn't get your heart racing BUT it certainly makes sure there's still a club to watch every Saturday (and Tuesday, and Friday, even Wednesday's on the odd occasion).Sometimes the heart and lead the head astray"

Exactly! How many times do I find myself defending our stance as a club against the idiot generation that wants something for nothing.

corrected the original post for you Dan.

FWIW i didn't notice spelling or grammar probs - you put your point across very well.

I honestly don't care anymore, call me "not a proper fan" or whatever you like but I just don't. I don't get excited on a Saturday anymore, I haven't bothered to buy a shirt this season and all I wanted to do when I left uni was buy a season ticket - which I never got around to doing.

I actually laughed when we lost the the 5-3 lead on 90 minutes vs Scunny. The last game I went to was Leicester last season on that Thursday night and I spent the 2nd half in the bar drinking beer and watching it on the TV. I just didn't enjoy it.

I have been to seen Newcastle (where I went to uni) more in the past 5 years then I have Derby. The atmosphere is brilliant, you see good football, the chants are brilliant (Loved doing the Hokey Cokey to Ameobi), the fans that are actually optimistic about the future and Newcastle is buzzing on a Saturday.

With Derby it is the opposite. It is more how much money can we save, selling our best players and seeing which is the next person to be sat on Cloughs naughty step.

Brilliant post. Totally agree. I went to Bolton and last night and you can sense that even in the hardcore away fans there is little enthusiasm to get behind the team. I think this is because the majority of us have seen it all before over the last few years and probably longer than that. Fans basically turn up expecting the inevitable.

We'll play some nice football for the majority of the game, create some good chances but 99 times out of 100 we won't take our chances and then as soon as someone scores against us that's it. Game over. Especially away.

There is a lack of belief right through the club from top to bottom, including the players and supporters. And that stems from the owners and manager who refuse to show any kind of ambition or get the supporters excited and try and brainwash us into expecting mediocrity every year because of a 'long term plan'.

I totally understand running the club properly but that doesn't stop you having belief in winning games, whoever we are playing. Whatever people say about Bolton last night just coming down from the Prem and having quality players still etc, they were poor. In fact for 80% of the game they were poorer than us last night and were there for the taking. The manager should be giving our players belief that they are good enough to beat whoever they are playing, and certainly a team who were very low on confidence and actually booed off by their own fans at half time... We do actually have some good players now, they need to be given the confidence and belief that they don't have to settle for a point or hang on to a lead. There is no need to give the opposition initiative and invite teams onto us. We ain't good enough defensively to do that, esp now Shackell has gone, and we shouldn't have to do that. We've enough quality now to put teams to bed.

But no, we'll give the initiative to them, be happy to settle for a 'none - none', make shocking tactical decisions, which time after time comes back to bite us, usually in the last min.

I have totally lost interest in Derby County because of this mentality that we have to accept 2nd best all the time and slowly but surely this is feeding through to even the most positive enthusiastic supporters. All us Derby fans want is a bit of positivity and excitement that we do have ambition to fulfill the potential that this great club has. We shouldn't have to accept mid table in the championship every year. Clubs a lot smaller than us don't settle for it so why should we.

I'm desperate for Cloughy to do well and get it right but I just don't see anything changing whilst he is in charge. He seems to feed the mentality that is prevalent right through the club. And don't even get me started on his coaching staff, I've seen more life in a frigging over 70s coach trip.

Anyway, rant over. But please somebody give me my old Derby back. I want to get excited about supporting my club again, it seems such a long time ago that I had that feeling.

Great post danthebeast!

I recall back in the days shortly after relegation, the overall feel was that a lot of people didn't actually want to go back up for a fear of a repeat with many instead wanting us to wait and "go up when we're ready". This led to obvious debates about what "ready" is in terms of the Premier League. At the time the idea of us being able to have some "stability" and have a few "boring" years was something that many quote claimed to have wanted, but now that we've had exactly that it is interesting to see people's reaction to it. From what I can tell the board have done almost exactly what many wanted back then, and you seem to have hit the cause of the negative reactions to this right on the head. So yeah, good post!

Archived