This is not the time to knock Clough

Curtains

Well I was highly offended by what you put........................................ Nit seriously if you look at what I first put to sum it up with good syntax (is that right) basically has his good and bad points but we've not had the easiest start watford (not waffles) is when I will decide to say I'm unhappy, clough out or not.

分かりません。

-I do not understand [what you are saying]

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was disappointed that Sammon got subbed for Hughes last night, I understand that "Hughes's best position is behind the striker" but no matter how you look at it, he took a striker off, who from what I was listening to was causing problems, for a midfielder. This coupled with the rediculously defensive subs Clough made on Saturday when only one up leads me to understand the negative comments made about the manager.

I am impressed with his signings and his wheeler dealings and with his man management of the players he likes, but he does seem to get one on him when a player doesn't do exactly what he expects, perhaps a little more subtlety and more choice words should be used, I'm thinking of that Cywka interview etc.

Wednesday did well to get their second, but the first was entirely against the run of play.

Agreed.

Was just saying that it's not fair to excuse his fault. Same as the other way around.

That's why in another thread I'm trying to say there are hardly any 'wrist slashers'...... some just continue to talk about our problems when others take the chance to ignore them. Nowt wrong with that. We all support Derby and i agree that you can't sack a manager 2 games in. Unless you called for his head before that I suppose.

Many said they will see how this season pans out. Well give it chance!!

On the other hand, I can agree with the criticisms. It's not a new problem.

I agree with a lot of what your saying Albert.

I was disappointed that Sammon got subbed for Hughes last night, I understand that "Hughes's best position is behind the striker" but no matter how you look at it, he took a striker off, who from what I was listening to was causing problems, for a midfielder.

Not sure how true the claims are but apparently Sammon signalled to the bench 5 mins prior to being subbed that he wanted/needed to come off.

I wasn't that disappointed. It was his first full day at Derby county, all about easing players in.

Not sure how true the claims are but apparently Sammon signalled to the bench 5 mins prior to being subbed that he wanted/needed to come off.

I wasn't that disappointed. It was his first full day at Derby county, all about easing players in.

In that case fair enough but his bench selection could be criticised, having two strikers on the bench with little experience as back up against an established experienced defence smacks to me off cutting your nose of to spite your face (I.e. trying to send a message to theo.)

Albert and Franco - arguments between yourselves is not helping the threads - it is not a I write better than you competition, nor is it a lets knock the teenager for poor grammar and syntax (not that i know what syntax means)

Lets stick to DCFC and if you really cant read someones post ask for clarification, or just ignore them.

Explain the bad tactical decision please.

It was his tactics that got us off to that flying start against Sheffield Wednesday, and a bit of luck that got them back into it. He tried the same tactic that didn't fail last year to keep us from conceding a late goal and a strange decision by a young midfielder of ours ultimately lost us 2 points. At what point was that the wrong tactics.

His tactics again got us playing well and even had us in a position at one point to possibly win it, but sadly it wasn't to be. His tactical changes that game were positive and one of the subs hit the post at a point where it would have made it 1-1...

...where were the bad decisions, or is this just you parroting the same old rubbish that people like to post when they can't explain why they're mad?

Are you really that blind? We win a game and it's Clough's tactical genius thats won the game for us, lose or draw, and its 'bad luck'? What is it thats given you this blind faith in Cough? I just don't get it!

Are you really that blind? We win a game and it's Clough's tactical genius thats won the game for us, lose or draw, and its 'bad luck'? What is it thats given you this blind faith in Cough? I just don't get it!

I don't recall ever calling Clough a tactical genius... ever in fact... The reason I said that we were unlucky was that we were in this case. I've also in the past referred to us winning games where we poor and even recently posted a length about a tactic that he uses which I don't like, but did work last year. I don't have blind faith in the man, but at the end of the day I generally can see why he's doing things and so far I haven't seen anything that is particularly concerning.

His tactics saw us leading 2-0 in the first half on opening day as much as they saw us draw 2-2. He has lead players to the form of their lives and has built a handy young squad. He is honest and direct in interviews and equally will praise or criticise players when deserving. He has slowly built up a good young squad, despite having very little to spend and has equalled and even better managers in this division who were supposedly world class and working with comparatively unlimited budgets.

Its also worth noting that not knowing his best side might actually be a good thing as it means there is real competition for places.

Yes the way he set us up did produce a good show on Saturday first-half, so why did he send them out so different second-half, time-wasting off throw-ins and goal-kicks, pretending to be injured and of course the defenders as subs. Surely that must give the opponent a lift, if it was Man City yes, Sheff Wed- has to be considered ridiculously negative.

I can't see how anybody can say he didn't mess up in a big way in that game, whether you rate him or not.

Yes the way he set us up did produce a good show on Saturday first-half, so why did he send them out so different second-half, time-wasting off throw-ins and goal-kicks, pretending to be injured and of course the defenders as subs. Surely that must give the opponent a lift, if it was Man City yes, Sheff Wed- has to be considered ridiculously negative.

I can't see how anybody can say he didn't mess up in a big way in that game, whether you rate him or not.

I actually think it was the players who messed it up. First half they could pass and run, second half they couldn't. Is that the manager's fault?

Archived