Priority signings

Anag Ram

All last season we heard that our priorities were to sign a left back, a holding midfield player and a centre forward.

O'Connor is a 'utility' defender, Coutts is a more attacking midfielder and as for a forward?

Does the forum feel we are stronger this year or will the lack of our established centre half pairing and our leading goalscorer see us back in the struggling group?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Priority signings: Big centreforward

That's it, that's all that's left off our wishlist. The holding midfield player we were looking for early last season was made redundant by the emergence of Hendrick last year. Left back is still a slight worry due to Roberts age, but he's a solid pro and with O'Connor as cover we can either move on or bring in a youngster to develop there. As for the rest of the squad, the midfield is full of young talent and one of our stronger areas, Hendrick and Bryson should make a very good central pairing, and with Ward, Jacobs, Coutts and Ben Davies all battling it out for the wide roles, we have plenty of talent and depth there. We are still light up top which is why we are after a big centreforward. Whether we get one remains to be seen, but ultimately I wouldn't expect any movement until Steve Davies goes. At the end of the day though we have a good goal scorer in Theo and some real pace in both him and Tyson. With Mason coming more into this season as well we should be well stocked when (or if) a new forward comes in. As for goalkeepers, we've swimming in talent and shouldn't have to worry about that area for a while, hopefully... and finally in defence we have a good mix of youth and experience there now. Brayford is a top rightback at this level and Roberts is, as said before, a solid pro. The fullbacks should do well this season. On top of that we have O'Connor and Naylor who can both play there in case of injuries. In the middle of the park we're going to have Keogh, who is a solid player at this level along side one of Buxton, O'Brien, Naylor or Gjokaj, who could all do a job this season. Overall, we have a stronger side than we had starting last year. What that will mean come the end of the season... who knows...

Priority signings: Big centreforward

That's it, that's all that's left off our wishlist. The holding midfield player we were looking for early last season was made redundant by the emergence of Hendrick last year. Left back is still a slight worry due to Roberts age, but he's a solid pro and with O'Connor as cover we can either move on or bring in a youngster to develop there. As for the rest of the squad, the midfield is full of young talent and one of our stronger areas, Hendrick and Bryson should make a very good central pairing, and with Ward, Jacobs, Coutts and Ben Davies all battling it out for the wide roles, we have plenty of talent and depth there. We are still light up top which is why we are after a big centreforward. Whether we get one remains to be seen, but ultimately I wouldn't expect any movement until Steve Davies goes. At the end of the day though we have a good goal scorer in Theo and some real pace in both him and Tyson. With Mason coming more into this season as well we should be well stocked when (or if) a new forward comes in. As for goalkeepers, we've swimming in talent and shouldn't have to worry about that area for a while, hopefully... and finally in defence we have a good mix of youth and experience there now. Brayford is a top rightback at this level and Roberts is, as said before, a solid pro. The fullbacks should do well this season. On top of that we have O'Connor and Naylor who can both play there in case of injuries. In the middle of the park we're going to have Keogh, who is a solid player at this level along side one of Buxton, O'Brien, Naylor or Gjokaj, who could all do a job this season. Overall, we have a stronger side than we had starting last year. What that will mean come the end of the season... who knows...

Having signed Hoganson, who can play left back or left mid, we now have the youth cover for that position as well. As a squad we are in a better position than last season, apart from the obvious Barker injury, but crucially, I feel we are in a better position as a team for this season.

Like you said Albert, we just need a big CF to complement Theo. We could do with replacing Tyson (but then who would provide the comedy 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> ) and getting Savies gone. I'd rather have kept Savies, but if he wants to go due to 'personal reasons' then we can't stop him.

We have Steve Davies here, now if we keep Davies then why do we need a striker?

I was always in doubt that we would/could bring anyone in like Davies who could have the same impact - give him 2 games and he will guarantee you one goal, and sometimes that one goal can be off his own back from 25 yards out, which we needed last season a few times.

If, however, Davies goes then we need to pull in a replacement with the same pedigree - that is a harder job!

I haven't a clue if we have a better team how an anyone say that? We don't know if buxton/keogh will be better than shackell/barker, we don't know if coutts is better than green or if Jacobs can do more on the left than ward. The squad seems to have more depth though.

We have a better team this year for sure, not necessarily just the new/ replacement signings but a years vital experience for the youngsters. I don't think its a coincidence we are yet to bring in a striker, goalscorers are hard to find. We may be waiting for funding from Davies/ Bailey also. I'm expecting movement towards the end of the transfer window.

I haven't a clue if we have a better team how an anyone say that? We don't know if buxton/keogh will be better than shackell/barker, we don't know if coutts is better than green or if Jacobs can do more on the left than ward. The squad seems to have more depth though.

Coutts is better than Green. and when I say a better team, I meant in terms of how the players have gelled together, there seems to be a massive talk about how the dressing rooms are a really good place to be, team spirit is high etc etc.

We can't predict what is going to happen - what we do have though is Doyle, Hughes, Bennett, Mark O'Brien and Naylor who will be all looking to break through and make a bigger impact - which I think they will.

I also think Tyson can have a good year - he was out injured for the majority of last season.

Also with Gjokaj, Hoganson, Galkinski and Richards (perhaps Thomas too) coming into the picture at some point this season - our tea is definitely coming too age.

But as I said, for predicting what is going to happen this season no-one knows, far too many variables!

Coutts is better than Green. and when I say a better team, I meant in terms of how the players have gelled together, there seems to be a massive talk about how the dressing rooms are a really good place to be, team spirit is high etc etc.

How do we know Coutts is better than Green after a few pre season friendlies? I wasnt a big green fan but he was very steady. They give it all the team bonding stuff every year, its all words the evidence will be a cold, wet tues night when they go 1 down early on and have to show some spirit.

How do we know Coutts is better than Green after a few pre season friendlies? I wasnt a big green fan but he was very steady. They give it all the team bonding stuff every year, its all words the evidence will be a cold, wet tues night when they go 1 down early on and have to show some spirit.

Ability wise you can see it a mile off - no hiding that, but in the same sense Maguire was a better footballer than Robinson so we'll have to wait and see the impact he has in the games rather than ability he has.

How do we know Coutts is better than Green after a few pre season friendlies? I wasnt a big green fan but he was very steady. They give it all the team bonding stuff every year, its all words the evidence will be a cold, wet tues or friday night when they go 1 down early on and have to show some spirit.

Agree with this - once the season is underway and the pressure is on then the unknown factors (Cwyka, Maguire) tend to surface. However, we appear to have good options in defence, midfield and out wide. A hold up type CF and I'd be happy.

Jutkiewicz would of done us nicely.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Can't work out if that was sarcasm or not - best season he ever had at this level was scoring 9 goals, he moved for 2.3million in january and since that move has mounted an incredible 2 goals in 19 games.

Piss poor record, and an expensive signing 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

[url=http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/01/16/lukas-jutkiwicz-the-details-behind-the-deal-to-middlesbrough-92746-30130988/]http://www.coventryt...92746-30130988/

1.5million initially rising to 2.3million, was on 7,000 at coventry - probably on around 15k now at a guess!

Personally I think O'Connor maybe a tidy signing with his Doncaster and O'Driscoll days experience. Im still very unsure on splashing out on Keogh, ok its early days but seeing him at Burton getting skinned by ex red dog Adebola was a tad worrying if not embarrasing! Coutts and Jacobs look relatively good cheap/promising buys (think Bryson/Brayford type transfers) We are missing the obvious big man up front and I cant help but feel we should have used the Keogh cash for this, and still get O'Connor and the Swiss lad? Think its time to try n shift Doyle/Deeney/Croft (permanently) on as i think Maguire and possible outgoing players - Savies and Bailey are far far better players to keep.

Overall I feel we had more depth this time last season but only after August will we know!

P.S would anybody bet Connor Doyle goes when Glick leaves??

Personally I think O'Connor maybe a tidy signing with his Doncaster and O'Driscoll days experience. Im still very unsure on splashing out on Keogh, ok its early days but seeing him at Burton getting skinned by ex red dog Adebola was a tad worrying if not embarrasing! Coutts and Jacobs look relatively good cheap/promising buys (think Bryson/Brayford type transfers) We are missing the obvious big man up front and I cant help but feel we should have used the Keogh cash for this, and still get O'Connor and the Swiss lad? Think its time to try n shift Doyle/Deeney/Croft (permanently) on as i think Maguire and possible outgoing players - Savies and Bailey are far far better players to keep.

Overall I feel we had more depth this time last season but only after August will we know!

P.S would anybody bet Connor Doyle goes when Glick leaves??

We needed Keogh, otherwise our most experienced CBs (not including O'Connor as I see him as full back cover) would have been Buxton and OB.. not exactly the best CB pairing..

Conor Doyle has this season to impress or go, according to Clough.

Im still worried about centre half, last year we were going to build on shackell and Barker who are both good players at this level, Keogh hopefully is as good as shackell but I still dont rate Buxton or OB as centre halfs for a top 6 side where we are aiming to get. We are weaker is that postion for me

Im still worried about centre half, last year we were going to build on shackell and Barker who are both good players at this level, Keogh hopefully is as good as shackell but I still dont rate Buxton or OB as centre halfs for a top 6 side where we are aiming to get. We are weaker is that postion for me

The Barker Shackell partnership is a myth though, theoretically we're weaker but they barely played together - Shackell/O'Brien and Shack/Buxton was played more often than Shackell/Barker.

Keogh needs to prove himself better than Shackell, and then we'll be stronger in that department - big ask though.

Archived