10 best attended English clubs outside the premier league

loweman2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as much as I like this as it puts us in a positive light.. A better measure is that of % of ground filled. Teams like Peterborough and Blackpool don't have the capacity, so does this mean they have less loyal fans? Who's to say if they had a 33k stadium they wouldn't put as many if not more bums on seats?

That said, its nice to see us top even though averages have been declining year on year.. and even with the inclusion of the promoted teams we would only be behind Southampton and West Ham (I think)

as much as I like this as it puts us in a positive light.. A better measure is that of % of ground filled. Teams like Peterborough and Blackpool don't have the capacity, so does this mean they have less loyal fans? Who's to say if they had a 33k stadium they wouldn't put as many if not more bums on seats?

On percentage we were 4th excluding the promoted teams as they did and 7th in total.

That said, its nice to see us top even though averages have been declining year on year.. and even with the inclusion of the promoted teams we would only be behind Southampton and West Ham (I think)

Duracell is, and Duracell says they probably barely have 33k fans in total 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Yay we have good attendances..

Now with this information we can pretend to be a big club and say that we deserve to be in the PL..

I think we are a decent family club.. Lots of families and kids enjoy the experience of sitting in a souless bowl (myself included) mulling over any old football match be it against Crewe Alexander or Birmingham City..

And what else is there to do in Derby on a Saturday afternoon.. And with the lack of football clubs around us (competition) we naturally get good attendances..

I think if you're going to use attendances as a yardstick for clubsize you'd get a far better idea by sticking to away numbers.. Any family and their mates can watch a home game but it's the sheer number of away numbers than you can identify with a well supported club with a big following.

I think if you're going to use attendances as a yardstick for clubsize you'd get a far better idea by sticking to away numbers.. Any family and their mates can watch a home game but it's the sheer number of away numbers than you can identify with a well supported club with a big following.

How do you figure this out? Surely committing to watching your team for 23 games is more important than going to a few away matches a season.

Our away support has been appalling recently but look at some of the matches we have had to play on Tuesday nights.

How do you figure this out? Surely committing to watching your team for 23 games is more important than going to a few away matches a season.

Our away support has been appalling recently but look at some of the matches we have had to play on Tuesday nights.

Because I can garauntee that there are people who turn up on a Saturday who just go for the expierence and aren't genuine supporters of the club.. I've been to many home games of other teams, sitting in with fellow fans etc.. I've seen many times around Pride Park families on a day out, friends of regulars, kids bored on a Saturday, or simply football fanatics wanting to watch a game..

These aren't the same people who wake up on a Saturday morning and think 'I know, today let's go up to Hull to watch a football match today'

The people that travel away are generally your regulars (95%) or Derby fans living in the area.. You wouldn't travel 100 miles to watch a team you're not a fan of unless it's extreme cases..

It's easy to fill a stadium on a Saturday if there are many promotions, familes in the area, cheap ticket prices, lack of other clubs around or generally not alot to do in the city as I know Derby is hardly Las Vegas..

IMO (and it's only my opinion) you get a far better understanding of the backing (support) for a football team by the number of regular away fans that travel to watch football matches

Because I can garauntee that there are people who turn up on a Saturday who just go for the expierence and aren't genuine supporters of the club.. I've been to many home games of other teams, sitting in with fellow fans etc.. I've seen many times around Pride Park families on a day out, friends of regulars, kids bored on a Saturday, or simply football fanatics wanting to watch a game..

These aren't the same people who wake up on a Saturday morning and think 'I know, today let's go up to Hull to watch a football match today'

The people that travel away are generally your regulars (95%) or Derby fans living in the area.. You wouldn't travel 100 miles to watch a team you're not a fan of unless it's extreme cases..

It's easy to fill a stadium on a Saturday if there are many promotions, familes in the area, cheap ticket prices, lack of other clubs around or generally not alot to do in the city as I know Derby is hardly Las Vegas..

And I know a lot of people who go to away matches just for a day out on the piss. The difference? A day out with the lads costs £100, a season ticket costs £400 or £500, I know which I think shows a bigger commitment to your team.

IMO (and it's only my opinion) you get a far better understanding of the backing (support) for a football team by the number of regular away fans that travel to watch football matches

The majority of the home crowd at Derby are ST holders not day trippers as you infer.

Away support comes and goes with results.

You talk bollux for the sake of it. IMO of course. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

A far better way of measuring core support would be your average home attendance v population. Derby punch above their weight and always have done.

Blackpool on a tuesday night if I recall? and Leicester away on TV, Palace away on TV and a Friday night..

Thing is, it's not just this season we've had ***** away followings. Don't make it sound like its just us with hard Tuesday night games either.

I don't think there's much defending you can do for our poor away support but then again, is anyone that bothered?

I wish our fans would drop the whole great support act. Ever since we got that stupid award in the PL a large majority of us have had our heads firmly up our own *********. Cringeworthy.

Makes very little sense as you could say exactly the same about away ends - there are lots of casual fans who prefer being in an away end and so go for the experience there or they might be Derby fans living in the area - London being a prime example - They don't travel they live there already and they take their friends along too, I saw more away games than home when I lived down south because of logistics not because I am more of a fan.

I'm not disagreeing that there may be casual fans in home support but it's just as applicable to away ends as well, I have been in the away end at the city ground quite a bit (lived in Nottingham as well) but only once when Derby were playing - I just enjoyed supporting the other team or had mates up from Watford or wherever

Strange really, when I started following The Rams (84/85) our away support was fantastic!

You're right, and that could well have had a lot to do with that remarkable run of 3rd to second to top division in successive seasons.

Derby is the only "big club" in a large radius and has always attracted a good following. Round here we have so many "big clubs" that you would be spoiled for choice. (Villa, Wolves, Blues, Albion, even Walsall) yet I know of others around here who follow the Rams including one who even went to away legs of the Anglo It matches in the Intertoto!

For me there's only one team and that's the Rams. COYR.

"Is there a correlation between the financial gate receipts and on-pitch success? If so then fans will hope the cream eventually rises to the top. For fans of sleeping giants Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday it has been a torturously slow wait."

This spoils a good article. How do Sheff wed get in there? They've achieved nowt in my lifetime of 62 years.

Still it's good to see derby way out in front. As they would have been when playing at the BBG long before PP.

Archived