10 best attended English clubs outside the premier league

loweman2

Yay we have good attendances..

Now with this information we can pretend to be a big club and say that we deserve to be in the PL..

I think we are a decent family club.. Lots of families and kids enjoy the experience of sitting in a souless bowl (myself included) mulling over any old football match be it against Crewe Alexander or Birmingham City..

And what else is there to do in Derby on a Saturday afternoon.. And with the lack of football clubs around us (competition) we naturally get good attendances..

I think if you're going to use attendances as a yardstick for clubsize you'd get a far better idea by sticking to away numbers.. Any family and their mates can watch a home game but it's the sheer number of away numbers than you can identify with a well supported club with a big following.

Good ol' Bris, not giving his own club any credit at all. So far I don't see anyone piping up saying we should be in the Prem because of our attendences, merely people acknowledging that we're a well supported club...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now with this information we can pretend to be a big club and say that we deserve to be in the PL..

I think we are a decent family club.. Lots of families and kids enjoy the experience of sitting in a souless bowl (myself included) mulling over any old football match be it against Crewe Alexander or Birmingham City..

And what else is there to do in Derby on a Saturday afternoon.. And with the lack of football clubs around us (competition) we naturally get good attendances..

I think if you're going to use attendances as a yardstick for clubsize you'd get a far better idea by sticking to away numbers.. Any family and their mates can watch a home game but it's the sheer number of away numbers than you can identify with a well supported club with a big following.

Bris your opinions are of course just that opinions and I find it amusing that people bite at your comments, im not sure if sometimes they are tongue in cheek or just pointless ramblings, however I think you have summed up why having an average of 26,020 is in fact something to be proud of and viewed as an achievement, its because season after season we go and sit in that "soulless bowl" as you call it and watch average football, in the hope that we may see our team score and hopefully we may just see our team win, not likely but possible, that's why we go and that's why doing it year on year is a good thing and should be recognised.

Most of those 26,000 fans are season ticket holders who have paid out a lot of money for this soulless pleasure, many of us have had to forgo other niceties in life to allow us this underwhelming experience but we still go season after season in the hope that something positive happens, not easy especially in these hard times.

Who has on top of that a further £100 every other week to spend on a jolly to watch them away, thats would be another couple of grand a year, fine if you are single living at home with mum and dad but most of us are married bringing up kids.

We took thousands to the away games in the premiership season in the full knowledge that we would see out team spanked.

From what i read you dont get to go to that many matches and i assume most of your experience is based on the past (good and bad) or what you read on the internet, dont believe the hype, its not all bad.

Success can be measured in other ways not just in trophy's, try and be a bit more positive son, its all to easy to be negative about derby county its all to easy to be negative about live in general.

I know you like to paint yourself as a 'realist fan' but really it's this kind of comment that makes you come across as a bit of a hater more than anything - a shame because you do make good points from time to time.

"Soulless bowl", "Is there anything else good to do in Derby on a Saturday afternoon?", "lack of football club competition near Derby" - are comments like that really necessary? I know you're just trying to justify why you think we shouldn't consider ourselves a big club anymore, but the overly negative approach is almost tinged with bitterness and, dare I say it, a little spite.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that our attendance's do not guarantee us 'big club' status, however there is absolutely no shame in other fans celebrating the sense of pride they feel in our attendance, and no need to shoot said fans down.

I disagree with you comment on away fans, however I feel others like loweman2 have done a good job of illustrating why it is a flawed argument.

Come on Bris. Admit it. You're a red dog on a long term wind up. I've suspected that for a long time but the amount of time you spend on here made me think you definiteley must be a ram. Then you tell us about the forums you've got on other football clubs and Jesus H Christ but Derby County doesnt half depress you.. and even when we have got something to shout about, you've got to rubbish that as well.....WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYY?

I know you like to paint yourself as a 'realist fan' but really it's this kind of comment that makes you come across as a bit of a hater more than anything - a shame because you do make good points from time to time.

"Soulless bowl", "Is there anything else good to do in Derby on a Saturday afternoon?", "lack of football club competition near Derby" - are comments like that really necessary? I know you're just trying to justify why you think we shouldn't consider ourselves a big club anymore, but the overly negative approach is almost tinged with bitterness and, dare I say it, a little spite.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that our attendance's do not guarantee us 'big club' status, however there is absolutely no shame in other fans celebrating the sense of pride they feel in our attendance, and no need to shoot said fans down.

I disagree with you comment on away fans, however I feel others like loweman2 have done a good job of illustrating why it is a flawed argument.

I should have read this before I posted. Good points Ramshankered!

Come on Bris. Admit it. You're a red dog on a long term wind up. I've suspected that for a long time but the amount of time you spend on here made me think you definiteley must be a ram. Then you tell us about the forums you've got on other football clubs and Jesus H Christ but Derby County doesnt half depress you.. and even when we have got something to shout about, you've got to rubbish that as well.....WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Are you serious PBW?

I just don't think we're a particularly 'well supported' club.. But kudos to the owners, they've done a great job in getting people through the gates.. Before they were here we were only getting around 23,000 and that included a playoff season..

But Bris when in the last 10 years have we gone below 20,000? the answer is I don't think there is one season where we have averaged less than 20,000 which is quite an achievement considering the decade we have had. I think we have a core of supporters which we should be proud of, how many clubs can boast this kind of achievement? The attendences will generally flutter between 21-28,000 as an average when we are down here, and that is something very few clubs can boast. Yes our away support has diminished, however a couple of things need to be taken into consideration 1) our away record in the last decade has been dismal probably one of the worst in the football league (except for 2 seasons) and 2) the economy for the past 4 years has been a disaster and people have less money to spend which correlates to less away fans.

You know Bris, I'm not sure when the last home match you attended was, what with you living abroad - but you should really try and get back to PP sometime and just be witness to the build up before KO, the buzz and the anticipation. I love it, particulaly like now when we're waiting for the season to start.

That's why people go back year after year, with the hope that's always there and that we can go higher up the league.

We pay for ST's and I'm sure you can appreciate that it's not cheap. We get to away matches when time allows us but at times when we can't go, this does not mean that our club is any less supported, because IMO that's just not true.

Maybe if he got himself a girlfriend (or boyfriend) he would lighten up a bit. Sad for someone so young to be so depressing all of the time.

As some of you guys have already mentioned, how many of those attending the home matches are actual genuine supporters?

Well there's roughly 17,000 ST holders, so I'd say there's a starting point.

Granted there's some groupons who go on the cheap (and why not) but there's a lot who go and pay week by week too. I think it's safe to say DCFC has a very solid fanbase.

Maybe if he got himself a girlfriend (or boyfriend) he would lighten up a bit. Sad for someone so young to be so depressing all of the time.

Come on chaps, let's not get personal, there's no need.

There are people who attend regularly who are not rams fans or indeed football fans.They are the DMS

Derbys. Masochists society.The president is a Mr.Grey.

Masochists??? They better not sit near me then! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Are you serious PBW?

I just don't think we're a particularly 'well supported' club.. But kudos to the owners, they've done a great job in getting people through the gates.. Before they were here we were only getting around 23,000 and that included a playoff season..

About the red dog bit? of course not. I think we "know each other" a bit now and I don't think you are a fake at all.

I get quite direct at times Bris and I know it's a bit cheeky at points. When I'm like that though, it also means I've got to take the directness from others...(as long as it's not deluded or mug insults!!)

You've got me pulling my hair out at times. Just when I start to think I might be wrong about you I see a post like that. I don't know what happened that made you so negative about Derby and so negative about English football and British players in general but you've got such a way of expressing your opinions that it's nearly impossible for me not to get wound up when I read just how unhappy supporting Derby makes you.

When you're not "fishing" for reactions I enjoy reading what you say. You're a bit like marmite. I can't work out if i want to put you on my lump hammer list or if we'd get on like a house on fire in real life just cos we'd never agree on anything. The "banter" might be very good. You might rightly think I'm an arrogant **** who always thinks he is right.

I'll never be able to stand or understand the fact that you kill any positivity building on ANY subject to do with the Rams. I don't think you'll change so we just need to accept that every now and then there'll be a slightly narky but respectful exchange between us.

I'm excited and looking forward to the season - and this is the first post I've read since being away for three hours, so If we've signed White or keogh since I've been out I'm likely to arrive in my pants at the thought of having a young, enthusiastic and honest squad ready to take on the top 6...

You're not cos we haven't signed the Spain squad - it's ok to feel like that as well ;-)

Archived