Wimbledon 2012/Nadal out in 5 sets

Curtains

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think you're better off living where you do .....with an elected president...

I love the monarchy - and if you take what the government, NHS, banks, football teams overpaid bbc presenters, etc etc waste of OUR money, need I go on , the Royal family are probably more worth the money than any of these.

You don't live over here anymore.

Scotland can go make themselves another country, as long as we don't have to pay them a penny. Like we do the Welsh. If they want to go, then they can go as long as we have a contract made up - that they can't come crying back, when they've made a pigs arse of it....

Sorry MrsRam I have no idea what you're trying to get at here... Why do you love the monarchy? And more importantly what exactly is their use? Why does the Monarchy get a free holiday every couple of weeks?

If you're the great grandson of a Billionaire I'd get it.. That person has made money through his business and it's passed down the generation etc..

But they still have to buy flight tickets and live in the real world.. They don't automatically have their wedding shown across the world and have people gifting them whatever they want wherever they go and free trips to whatever country the want and have people bow down to them and a national anthem sung about them..

I know I don't live there, but that's not the point.. I know our history, I know how things work in England and I know the Royal Family is utterly pointless.. Can anyone actually justify their existance? What do they currently do that is worthy of Godlike status? The monarchy has the power to dismiss parliament whenever it wants.. They have the power to do whatever, I'd like to know why they're deserving of this?

But that's another debate.. On to the tennis.. Feds to win in 4 sets tomorrow

Congrats to Jonathan Marray. Great match to watcher earlier!

hurrayy for Marray.. (English)

boooooooooooo.. Murray..(Scottish)...[size=2]altho i have nothing against the scots, but murray insists he can't stand us.. so booooo..[/size]

Personally as an Irish person I have come to understand what the monarchy gives to Britain and it I do believe it is important, even if it is a bit foreign to me (npI) .

Bris why do you constantly indulge the circular arguments on this forum, I think i'm yet to see a genuinely productive outcome.

Well I'll be watching this aft. I'm not a great fan of Federer's and I don't want to see him equal Pistol Pete's record of 7 Wdon wins so I want Murray to win.

I hope this turns into a really gritty match and not a 3 straight set walkover in favour of Rog (who by the way has the Wimbledon colour scheme stripes on his shirt collars, has anyone else noticed). I have to say, he's a stylish guy.

I want a 5 setter, 4 tie breaks and a final set that ends 10-8 in Murray's favour. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I am a great fan of Federer. I love his style, brilliance, and skill.

He is the consummate professional. I think his white jacket is immaculate.

He has no bad points and is a great credit to tennis and sport generally.

BUT TODAY

I hope Andy makes him look ordinary, rubbish, and a loser!

SillyBilly

I know I don't live there, but that's not the point.. I know our history, I know how things work in England and I know the Royal Family is utterly pointless.. Can anyone actually justify their existance? What do they currently do that is worthy of Godlike status? The monarchy has the power to dismiss parliament whenever it wants.. They have the power to do whatever, I'd like to know why they're deserving of this?

I never mentioned the monarchy in my previous post Bris.

I've had this debate with republicans who really do know their history so I know valids points can be made with a little knowledge. I haven't seen any yet. Heads of states, politicians, embassy staff and often state sponsored trade delegations don't pay for their air fare. Sarkozy had a real penchant for private jets, expensive champagne and fine suits, much to the disdain of the French taxpayer. Merkel travels with a larger personal entourage than HM. Who pays for this? Why might I be content with an APOLITICAL Head of State, a constitutional monarch that, in practice, has the ability to regulate political will. In reality not excercised since Queen Anne's veto, as you know, three centuries ago. Fortunately we've never had need, others have, Thailand has been marred for decades by over zealous political and military regimes, the King's popularity is due to his ability with the will of the people behind him to support fair governance. A former owner of Man City may contest this. There are many of us that are sceptical Bris, you may not be, of corruption and political greed at the top tables and therefore see it as a comfort that their power is restricted. Laws can be manipulated and constitutions rewritten particulary in "state of emergency" type situations, I feel we're better protected by this, my personal view. Perhaps Sweden, Norway, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands agree the system is functional enough and relevant enough for the 21st century, the role has changed and will continue to change.

GSTQ.

Castle should get out from up Federer's arse, it took him 8 games to pick up the fact that Federer's backhand wasn't working in the 1st set.

I want Mac to commentate.

Archived