Chris Maguire

DcFc Dyycheee

phil brown was terrible.

i do think he was better at hull but he cut his teeth at derby and it was really obvious at points as he didnt know what he was doing.

i agree he didnt have much support maybe even less than clough but i think even then phil clown could offer players more wages than we can now.

Do not think you could say Brown was a bad appointment, I would say six years as assistant manager at Bolton, is just as good , if not better than 10 years as a non league manager .

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not think you could say Brown was a bad appointment, I would say six years as assistant manager at Bolton, is just as good , if not better than 10 years as a non league manager.

How often do you think Brown had to pick the team during those 6 years Smiffy?

And lose you games. All the top players with flair and without flair work hard. It is a team game.

when you say work hard what exactly do you mean? how many real flare players track back? and sometimes you can afford to have a passenger who can do something brilliant, look at commons for instance or Marco Reich.

Selling a striker for £250k when we dont have many striking options and Steve Davies wants to leave seems pretty pointless. Seems way too low for an up and coming Scottish international striker. If we turned down two previous bids from Wednedsday what kind of low ball offers must they have been? We really must be hard up.

an up and coming Scottish international striker.

He's not up and coming anymore, and he's not an International.

A down-and-going former Scottish international is a more suitable description.

Let's make him sound as crap as possible to make is feel better about ourselves.

Do not think you could say Brown was a bad appointment, I would say six years as assistant manager at Bolton, is just as good , if not better than 10 years as a non league manager .

Definitely not. Number 2s usually make pretty poor managers, as history shows. When you appoint a non-League manager who has had success over 10 years, he's at least proved he is capable of managing a team. The only thing riskier than appointing a No.2 into his first management role is appointing a player who only just retired.

when you say work hard what exactly do you mean? how many real flare players track back? and sometimes you can afford to have a passenger who can do something brilliant, look at commons for instance or Marco Reich.

Working hard isn't just about tracking back, it is also about creating space and if you are a forward, about closing down defenders and putting pressure on them. It is also about if you lose the ball you work hard to get it back (something C Maguire didn't do).

The only spell Commons had in which he played consistently well was when NC got him to work hard. Marco Reich??? Wasn't exactly a raging success anywhere. There is no place for as you say 'passengers' in any team - as the name suggests, they are just a passenger.

Working hard isn't just about tracking back, it is also about creating space and if you are a forward, about closing down defenders and putting pressure on them. It is also about if you lose the ball you work hard to get it back (something C Maguire didn't do).

The only spell Commons had in which he played consistently well was when NC got him to work hard. Marco Reich??? Wasn't exactly a raging success anywhere. There is no place for as you say 'passengers' in any team - as the name suggests, they are just a passenger.

Marco Reich was pretty popular here during his time and his goal kept us up i believe.

Fair point but a lot of forwards don't do any of the above but are still success'. Whether they might be target men (Hulse, Howard, Rasiak etc) or playmakers (Commons, Savies, T Smith) they are still worth being in the team for their qualities, not their work rate as such.

Maguire certainly wasn't a passenger in a very poor Pompey side that got relegated, that's for sure. He has quality, the sort of quality I want at this club, just not with the baggage he brought (apparently).

Definitely not. Number 2s usually make pretty poor managers, as history shows. When you appoint a non-League manager who has had success over 10 years, he's at least proved he is capable of managing a team. The only thing riskier than appointing a No.2 into his first management role is appointing a player who only just retired.

Like Brian Clough for example 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I do agree brown was unlucky as we did av no money but even if we had i still dont think he wod av been any good as most of the time he talked drivell and the team looked clueless

3-5k for indiakez n bisgaard thats pretty good value for money looking back(providing champ manager is right)

Archived