Chris Maguire

DcFc Dyycheee

We could do worse mate.

Jewell, Brown.... Clough is a Godsend after them.

what was so bad about phil brown at our club? he didn't stand a chance, people moan about the limits clough is under but no-one mentions the limits brown was under. Let alone working for an illegal board.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know he did any of this? All we have is one side of the story which is that Maguire said he wasn't in the first team, played him with the kids and then shipped him off. If he doesn't want to learn how the management want him to play the management should have taken into consideration what everyone was saying before they signed him, the fact is that he was a flair player and is a flair player. Generally they cannot change and to make them into a workhorse was always going to backfire. Also they could have had constructive chats rather than what sounds like clough just bullied Maguire and he didn't get his way so he pushed him out of the club.

If you are a flair player, whatever one of them is, you still have to work hard for the team. You, young man, have an axe to grind against Nigel Clough and it shows a mile!

Its amazing that whenever we sell a player its down to their bad attitude.

Clough brought in Maguire and should be held fully responsible for this, same as Martin and Croft, they are players that do not fit his work ethos that he has installed.

Of course it's Cloughs responsibility. Who said otherwise? If a player does not meet the standards of the club or for some other reason does not improve the team then he has to go. Simple as that.

phil brown was terrible.

i do think he was better at hull but he cut his teeth at derby and it was really obvious at points as he didnt know what he was doing.

i agree he didnt have much support maybe even less than clough but i think even then phil clown could offer players more wages than we can now.

If you are a flair player, whatever one of them is, you still have to work hard for the team. You, young man, have an axe to grind against Nigel Clough and it shows a mile!

I am not a flair player (I wish) However to me from watching players like maguire who are flair players that maybe they won't work quite as hard as others and that is acceptable because they can win you games.

phil brown was terrible.

i do think he was better at hull but he cut his teeth at derby and it was really obvious at points as he didnt know what he was doing.

i agree he didnt have much support maybe even less than clough but i think even then phil clown could offer players more wages than we can now.

maybe less than clough? he relied upon loan players and couldn't bring anyone in on any kind of money. Clough has spent over 2 million pounds on center backs, phil brown didn't have that for his whole squad. How could he offer players bigger wages? The club was virtually broke and we had to bring Danny Graham in on loan.

If you train with "the kids" it's usually because you have the attitude in the first place and need to learn your place.

But we have no proof of that tho do we? we're just guessing on the basis that Clough can do no wrong so he must have an attitude problem

what was so bad about phil brown at our club? he didn't stand a chance, people moan about the limits clough is under but no-one mentions the limits brown was under. Let alone working for an illegal board.

Christ almighty... he was horrific, we looked like a pub side! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

the club was skint i agree but didnt we still have indiakez and bisguard..i bet they were on good wages!

im not really into this big finance debate really i can just remember it being very depressing being a derby fan at that time and the tango man wasnt very good

the club was skint i agree but didnt we still have indiakez and bisguard..i bet they were on good wages!

im not really into this big finance debate really i can just remember it being very depressing being a derby fan at that time and the tango man wasnt very good

I am not sure but we certainly lost our only decent goalscorer in rasiak. I know Phil Borwn did a poor job but people moan about resources under clough and under brown the restrictions were much tighter.

"people moan about resources under clough and under brown the restrictions were much tighter."

im not so sure about MUCH tighter yr??? clough has bought player which brown didnt but brown also had some players already on the books which would have been on quite good money and clough has had to get rid of a lot of top earner while building a team. also clough has been here a lot longer.

like i said tho not an expert on the whole finance part so may be wrong

This idea about him being a flair player so therefore has a reason to be lazy and not work hard for the team is complete cack! These are the kind of players that will go onto better things. Ronaldo, Nani and Rooney are popular examples of players that have 'flair' yet work as hard as anybody on the field. In this league there are players such as Scannell, Ince and to some extent Ward that will help create chances and still track back. This is what helps build such a strong team bond, everyone pulling their weight.

I'm pretty sure Clough didn't go out intending to spend money on Maguire and for it not to work out, he obviously wanted to be the focal point of the team, yet Clough obviously spotted in training/ reserves and in his limited time in the first team he wasn't tracking runners, pressurising defenders or running the channels, something which Theo Robinson did, which made him a Clough 'favourite', and earnt him the plaudits it has done. Obviously if it came to natural talent Maguire would run rings round Robinson but Robinsons work rate earnt him every single goal, from his willingness to get to the 6 yard box and tap them in, was Maguire willing to do this?

As mentioned above, Clough hasn't sold a player that is playing regularly above us, so i trust in his judgement. Would of been nice for us to have had a 'Kris Commons' back in the team though.

"people moan about resources under clough and under brown the restrictions were much tighter."

im not so sure about MUCH tighter yr??? clough has bought player which brown didnt but brown also had some players already on the books which would have been on quite good money and clough has had to get rid of a lot of top earner while building a team. also clough has been here a lot longer.

like i said tho not an expert on the whole finance part so may be wrong

who was on good money? please name some, Bisgaard certainly wasn't thirlwell wasn't, graham wasn't, In fact I am not sure if there was anyone on decent money. The club when Brown was in charge was penniless and was run by crooks this is a totally different situation.

Bisgaard was on a few hundred pounds a week idiakez was used to second division spanish football so he wouldn't have been on much.

I am not a flair player (I wish) However to me from watching players like maguire who are flair players that maybe they won't work quite as hard as others and that is acceptable because they can win you games.

And lose you games. All the top players with flair and without flair work hard. It is a team game.

like i said mate im not really sure about the exact amount they would have been on, i just thought bisgaard was an international when we signed him so i thought hed be on some decent wedge and indiakez although was from the second tier of spanish football i thought he would be on a fairly decent amount too...

to be fair tho yr i didnt really know, im deffo not as confident about the amounts as you seem to be mate!

Archived