Should Jailed McCormick be allowed to play again

ramexpat

Plymouth's former goalkeeper Luke McCormick - who is still in prison - is set to join Swindon on trial when he is released in June.

[size=3]The controversial move comes almost four years after McCormick caused the deaths of brothers Arron and Ben Peak, aged 10 and eight respectively, while driving with excess alcohol in a crash on the M6 in Staffordshire.[/size]

[size=3]The former Pilgrims stopper was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison in October 2008 after he admitted to the charge, but is set to be released after serving half of the original figure.[/size]

[size=3]McCormick has already been put through his paces having trained with Swindon since January while on day release. He will join Paolo Di Canio's squad on their pre-season tour of Italy.[/size]

[size=3]Swindon chairman Jeremy Wray told BBC Wiltshire: "Our sympathy is with the family of the victims - that will never change. There's been a complete tragedy and lives have been destroyed.[/size]

[size=3]"This guy has done his time in prison. He wants to come back and give something back to society. The best way we can do that is to rehabilitate, and that's the role Swindon can play. It's a benefit we've thought about in the long-term. It's going to be a big debate and I'm not frightened of it."[/size][url=http://www.skybet.com/skybet?action=GoEvType&id=10005382&aff=1572&&dcmp=ss_fb_betlink].

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a tough one, it might have been nice if he'd decided to retrain at something else while inside and just went quietly about his business on his release.

I can't help thinking about those poor kids every time I see a story involving this bloke and I think it will be difficult for the parents to see him rebuilding his career and possibly having a good time doing it while their lives have been shattered.

I'll be interested in reading the views of others on this very sensative subject because to be honest, my blood is boiling at the thought of him rebuilding his career. I'm aware I'm probably in the wrong about this but it's just how I feel. Sorry to anyone offended by my opinion.

I have buried two of my relatives because of drunk driver. I HATE drunk drivers. HATE. No pity or understanding for them at all. They know what they are doing and they just don't care. They are getting way too easy in most countries.

Like most of us are parents this story is not really about football, its about justice , 4 years for taking the lives of 2 boys is not enough , i remember back when Lee Hughes did the same and came back out and got a club, it really doesnt matter what he does when hes released footballer , painter or taxi driver , his sentance should have been life , causing death by a deadly weapon (drink and a car) is murder.

This story is tragic. I can see two sides. The parents have had their lives ruined, I remember the dad was badly injured as well and is struggling with his injuries to this day and nothing will ever change for them.

McCormick, having served his time (the original sentence was not enough IMO), and is a free man now. He's very lucky to have this chance again. I don't believe he's hard enough for this not to have had an effect on his life.

It's unfortunate for the victims and I hope he keeps his head down and gets on with it. There's never a right answer when people have lost their lives.

This is a difficult story...

Drunk drivers, to the point where they simply cannot manage I simply cannot understand... they're putting their own life in danger, as well as others and in this case he killed 2 kids, but saying that there is no doubt about McCormick, he was a good, genuine and seemingly intelligent footballer, not your trouble causing lout, he just made an incredibly stupid decision and a family have suffered because of it, he is no monster but someone who has really ****** up, really ****** up. There are loads of footballers that have drunk driven in the past and they're simply ignored but in this case he killed someone, the act was the same... the outcome was different. Barry Bannan and Jermaine Pennant are two that have recently been out'd for drink driving, also Steve Howard was caught drink driving and managed to get it over-turned.

I guess there is no wrong or right answer, he is certainly no menace to society and keeping him locked up when there are people out there who go out there way to make peoples lives a misery and get a slap on the wrist, the whole system needs to stricter IMO, 4 years for me isn't long enough for killing two children... even unintentionally but if released early, I doubt he'll be anything other than model citizen.

I don't think this can be compared to the Lee Hughes Incident. Hughes left the scene, got people to lie for him, and tried to cover up what had happened. This is where the accidental becomes the criminal. even a non-drunk driver acting as he did is committing a serious and callous offence.

In McCormick's case his drinking (surely not a unique offence where money is no object) led to incredibly tragic consequences, least of which is probably his time in prison.

I very much doubt if the sentence, however long or short, would have a cathartic effect. I cannot imagine how it would feel to have such a thing on one's conscience and can feel only sympathy for the family and McCormick himself.

Does he deserve another chance in football? Ask if a plumber would deserve to work again. There is no difference IMO.

Sackcloth, ashes and another ruined life will achieve nothing. The best memorial to the children and family would be for McCormick to live an exemplary life in which he puts into society something that makes a positive difference.

I don't know how good or otherwise his goalkeeping is but respect Swindon'd decision to offer him a helping hand.

Well we cannot restrict what trade people go into when out of prison unless it directly leads people to being in danger. An example is that a paedophile cannot work with children. This is what we have to consider, does this man pose a threat to football players? the answer is no and therefore should be allowed to ply his trade. It must be difficult for the family, I know that because my grandparents have buried two children as well. He seems like a man who made an awful mistake and truly regrets it, and I don't believe punishing someone for an honest mistake forever is the right way to go. If we want to talk about length of sentence that is a different matter, but he should be allowed to play football.

Like most of us are parents this story is not really about football, its about justice , 4 years for taking the lives of 2 boys is not enough , i remember back when Lee Hughes did the same and came back out and got a club, it really doesnt matter what he does when hes released footballer , painter or taxi driver , his sentance should have been life , causing death by a deadly weapon (drink and a car) is murder.

It isn't murder, murder has to be fully intentional. I doubt he went out with the intention of killing those people and I am sure he didn't mean to kill them. It was an accident caused by negligence on his part which he later covered up.

It isn't murder, murder has to be fully intentional. I doubt he went out with the intention of killing those people and I am sure he didn't mean to kill them. It was an accident caused by negligence on his part which he later covered up.

Ok maybe not murder , my legal knowlege is minimal ,, but taking a life is the worst crime possible , as you said negligence played a main part

Ok maybe not murder , my legal knowlege is minimal ,, but taking a life is the worst crime possible , as you said negligence played a main part

To me it varies I don't think all taking of life is the worst crime it depends if the taking of life was an accident due to negligence or on purpose. I personally think crimes like rape and molesting children are far worse because they scar the victim for their lives. However I can see why many consider any taking of life the worst act.

This guy is gonna be trashed every game he plays and rightly so he killed 2 children by drink driving which for anybody shouldn't happen but for a footballer which is paid very highly highly enough to just pay for a hotel or even a taxi is beyond me. With his money he could of just paid for a room or taxi instead he prob thought im footballer take the fine shocking

It's said in that article that he wants to put something back to society - will be interesting to see if that happens. Perhaps he could financially help the family he destroyed( not that that would help their loss), or contribute regularly to a charity. We may never know but he does now have the opportunity, and cash, to do something positive.

It will never redeem him, even perhaps in his own eyes, but he certainly has the chance to show remorse.

He is technically not a free man, he has been released, however will be under licence until his full sentance is up - just to clear up the legalise.

Personnally he should have had 2 life sentances and 1 for attempted murder, that is the only justice that can be seen to be fit when someone knowingly gets into a car after they know they are over the legal alcohol limit and drives. It is premeditated murder.

Has anyone here ever driven a car over the limit? Honestly?

I know so many people that have

Also out of interest, does it say how much over the limit he is? 3 pints is over the limit isn't it? But for some people 3 pints doesn't affect them.. Then it would just be a case of speeding.. On a motorway..(M6) Who hasn't done that?

I'm not trying to defend his actions but it's not as if it's a story about someone being absoloutley leathered and driving 70mph in a 30 zone in a residential area.. The fact that people died on the motorway doesn't suprise me, any crash at 60mph+ on a motorway is likely to have a fatal outcome.. Hence why the sentence was only for 5 years or so..

Has anyone here ever driven a car over the limit? Honestly?

I know so many people that have

Also out of interest, does it say how much over the limit he is? 3 pints is over the limit isn't it? But for some people 3 pints doesn't affect them.. Then it would just be a case of speeding.. On a motorway..(M6) Who hasn't done that?

I'm not trying to defend his actions but it's not as if it's a story about someone being absoloutley leathered and driving 70mph in a 30 zone in a residential area.. The fact that people died on the motorway doesn't suprise me, any crash at 60mph+ on a motorway is likely to have a fatal outcome.. Hence why the sentence was only for 5 years or so..

Sometimes I think you should engage your brain before typing Bris.

He was twice over the legal limit, and was going over 70, which is the speed limit.

I'm not one to judge if the sentence is long enough or any morals, but to justify it by saying he was only speeding is a bit naive or just trying to get people to bite.

The fact he was downing shots n chose to drive, meant he was putting other people at risk, this is why u are not allowed to do it, if you have driven over the limit at over 70 mph, then I hope u get caught and banned before u do any damage to anyone.

Archived