Next Season

McRamFan

You had better ask Mr Glick it was he who made the promise in several interviews with the Derby Telegraph

and Radio Derby.He also said we would get quality players and play exciting football!I should mention

it was season ticket time so allowances have to be made 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='<_<' />

Don't think he promised that, think he may have said that they would be looking to achieve these things.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont want to get pedantic about what was actuaally said McRamfan anyway there will be others who have

better memories than poor old me.However he was definite about the playoffs this season.When asked on

11/05/2011 where did he see us in a years time he said-"we intend to be in the playoff positions;that is our

aim".He then went on about buying better more experianced players to challenge for promotion.

Its a statement of intent which on every count they failed.There are other interviews

in which he actually promised top 6 finish.Others on here may confirm if they can be

bothered.

No, he never promised a top 6 finish.

Where do you see Derby County one year from now in the Championship?

TG: We intend to be in the playoff positions in the Championship; that is our aim. We will be buying better, more experienced players this summer and we believe we can recruit a team that will challenge for promotion.

Which we did!

Really ? When we finished 11 points off the play offs.

Its a bit like saying Spurs were challenging for the title as they were only a few points off at Xmas, or Aston villa were because there name begins with an "A" before any games are played :-)

Fair dos there Ramb......the exact quote is "We expect to put a side together that is capable of competing in the top six and we hope that will be self-evident with the moves that we make"

By that I wonder if Glick feels Clough failed, or at least failed to meet expectations.

Anyway, we're splitting hairs if we're debating McRamfan and Top6finishs' definition of Glicks words. You can take the argument either way.

The point is the squad wasn't good enough in the end. A fully fit Brayford and Barker, 8 or 10 goals from Tyson and we probably would have made the play offs, but we ended up well short. Was the team good enough? Very nearly. The squad? no.

Disappointed that Bailey and Addo aren't to be kept on as they possibly could be good enough as squad players at least. I fear our wage budget really is as low as Metgod intimated.

Fair dos there Ramb......the exact quote is "We expect to put a side together that is capable of competing in the top six and we hope that will be self-evident with the moves that we make"

By that I wonder if Glick feels Clough failed, or at least failed to meet expectations.

Anyway, we're splitting hairs if we're debating McRamfan and Top6finishs' definition of Glicks words. You can take the argument either way.

The point is the squad wasn't good enough in the end. A fully fit Brayford and Barker, 8 or 10 goals from Tyson and we probably would have made the play offs, but we ended up well short. Was the team good enough? Very nearly. The squad? no.

Disappointed that Bailey and Addo aren't to be kept on as they possibly could be good enough as squad players at least. I fear our wage budget really is as low as Metgod intimated.

I wouldn't like to think that Glick considered Clough a failure, given the lack of financial support to him. NC was pretty clear that we needed a couple of big signings at the start of the season and we didn't get them. As you say, at times, we were just about good enough but when the chips were down in terms of injury we just didn't have sufficient resources to compete with the big boys.

Have to think the worst in terms of where we are going on budget. It's groundhog day.....

The good form at the end of the season has done what i expected, given people higher expecatitions this season.

We've got too many average players which will lead us to mid table obscurity once again.

The back 5 are potentially play off material, but needing Buxton and O'Brien to complete a season between them doesnt feel me with confidence, neither of them are play off material.

Bryson, Hendrick and Ward have too many off days, where we're in good form and everythings going well they're decent players, they all go missing too often throughout a season though.

If Davies goes we're left with Robinson and Tyson up front, neither of whom can trap a bag of cement and without their pace would be playing for the Dog And Duck on a sunday morning.

Agree with pretty much every word there. I'm anticipating a season much the same as the last one. Looking back, there were quite a few games we could easily have lost where we got something, and Fielding's form in the 2nd half of the season distorted the picture in my opinion.

I think people need to lay off MOB he looked good to me, definitely a capable championship footballer at 19 years old along with Buxton who was fantastic when given the chance, whether his name fills you with confidence or not he was very good in the latter part of that season.

As for expectations, I personally don't have much expectations of this side but more of a feeling that anything can happen and they need to be better, I will support Clough and the Americans through this summer and hopefully they do some business and get a good enough team together, I actually think the best we can hope for is to stay in this division, unless something drastic happens play-offs are a dream, I would be massively surprised if we were to better this season in fairness!

Am I the only one who thinks that we over achieved last season? We finished on 64 points but with a minus 8 GD and only scoring 50 goals from 46 games.. Does anyone else think this is rather strange?

And what's with the sudden optimism regarding the end of the season form? We only won 3 of the last 9 and picked up a mediocre 12 points from what looked like a fairly easy run-in.. You can't really judge how a teams going to do the following season on the back of the last few games where half the league has nothing to play for.. At the end of 2010-11 season Ipswich were on absoloute fire but the following season they were average..

People talk about how were only 3 wins away over a season from being a playoff team.. Yes, that's true, but then again you disregard all the games we've won this season by absoloute fluke.. Very rarely last season did we look like a top 12 team and despite what people think the gap between us and Leicester (whilst only a few points) is huge in terms of squad ability..

I don't understand why people think that we're all of a sudden going to improve so much by bringing in a 2 or 3 players that we're all of a sudden going to overtake the likes of Leicester, Cardiff, Boro, Blackpool, Wolves, Bolton, Hull, Birmingham, Brighton etc whuilst they all look to improve at the same time.. Leicester have already spent $2.5mill this summer, their squad is so much better than ours we need them to majorly fail for us to have any chance of overtaking them..

I personally think we'll have a good season if we can break the 62 point mark again and improve our GD and playing style.

i'd be happy with a similar season to last..... we need players and we need to progress... but some of the folk on here with all the flippin answers are just brilliant.."what was it we were promised?" ... "them and them arnt good enough!" ....just finger pointing really... competition is high...thats fine...finacial status is low...thats fine too... just means you'll never see Tevez in a Derby shirt. i like the fact that when i tell people i'm a Derby fan they usually....i(f they know anything about football), respect us as a proper club that are trying to do things properly.. we've got some decent fellas playing for the club for the first time in a long time....yoofs are coming through nice and steady now. its reet for me. takes time dunt it... maybe we'll finish 11th again or 12th shock horror....maybe we'll scrape the playoffs and win it...or scrape in and embarrass us to hell again. if no ones tecking the piss out of the club...which i dont think they are really... whats the bother...

How long does it take well. Saints promoted to Prem from Div 1 in 2 years. Reading back to Prem was it 2 years and West Ham 1 year.

Look at all three of those clubs - Saints and Reading have money to burn, West Ham kept a lot of the players they went down with, minus Demba Ba and Scott Parker

How long does it take well. Saints promoted to Prem from Div 1 in 2 years. Reading back to Prem was it 2 years and West Ham 1 year.

Then look at others, Portsmouth, Leeds, Forest, Saints, Shef Weds, Coventry Leicester, Ipswich and there are a few others that have been waiting longer than us for a return to the Prem (about 15 in total), and some have dropped into the 3rd tier, and some have gone bust.

Then look at others, Portsmouth, Leeds, Forest, Saints, Shef Weds, Coventry Leicester, Ipswich and there are a few others that have been waiting longer than us for a return to the Prem (about 15 in total), and some have dropped into the 3rd tier, and some have gone bust.

Who has gone bust ?

Archived